August 12, 2015 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- August 15 Spirit Fest 5:30-7:30p.m.
- August 18 Senior Family Meeting, 6:30p.m.
- Sept. 1 Senior Panoramic photo, 8:30a.m.
- Sept. 1 Junior Family Meeting, 6:30p.m.
- Sept. 7 Labor Day – No School
- Sept. 16 Blood drive, Parent teacher conferences 4-7p.m.
- Sept. 19 Homecoming Dance,
You’ve Been Caught – SOAR – WAY TO GO!!!
– 1st in line for Lunch
- Is bowling right up your ALLEY? Do you have some talent to SPARE? Come see how we ROLL! The LSW Bowling Club has summer bowling practice at Sun Valley Lanes on Wednesdays from 4-5:30pm. The cost is $6 per person. This is a great way to learn about the sport, get to know other students, meet the coaches, and have some fun! Tryouts for the Bowling team start in late October, so start practicing! The cost for tryouts will be $20.
- For more information, check out our facebook site (Lincoln Southwest Bowling), email Cindy Stevens (firstname.lastname@example.org) or come see Ms. Russell in room A215.
- Clinic With A Heart will offer first-come, first-serve school physicals and immunizations to students without a primary doctor on Saturday, August 8th at 8:30 to 11 am and Saturday, August 15th at 8:30 to 11am. Students needing immunizations need to bring current immunization records. Each student must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Clinic With A Heart is located at 1701 S. 17th Street, Lower Level in Lincoln. Phone # is 402-421-2924, To schedule an immunization for another date than those listed, please contact the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department at 402-441-8065. As a reminder, students must qualify for income guidelines to receive services from Clinic With A Heart.
- Free Senior Portraits for the Class of 2016 will be take on Saturday, August 29th at 10 am to 2 pm at Center of People in Need at 3906 N. 27th Street in Lincoln. The senior package includes 3 8"x10" photos, 4-6 5"x7" portraits, and 50 wallets. The senior portraits are free to low-income high school seniors and the photo packages will be ready within two weeks for pick up. Students may bring one outfit and prop to show individuality.
Seniors need to bring a Center Card or a parent. To receive a Center Card, please bring the following:
- Photo ID
- Social Security Cards for everyone in the household
- Piece of mail with current address on it
- Proof of Income
Household income must be 150% or less of the federal poverty income. For more information, please call the Center for People in Need at (402) 476-4357.
LUNCH FOR : August 12, 2015
- Cheese Pizza
- Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwich
- Veg; Cheese Pizza
Please check are LSW calendar for upcoming sporting events and for any updates on the events.
COUNSELING CENTER ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Students and families are reminded to visit the LSW Counseling Center website (http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/), Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/LSW-Counseling-Center), and Pinterest site (https://www.pinterest.com/lswcounselors) to access a variety of resources that are updated on an ongoing basis throughout the school year.
- The ACE (Access College Early) Scholarship Program was authorized by the Nebraska Legislature in 2007, the Access College Early (ACE) Scholarship Program Act (LB 192). 2015-16 academic year students will be limited to ACE Scholarship funding for a maximum of two classes per term for the coming year. To help you counsel your students below are some different scenarios on how this will be implemented:
- If a student is registered for one or two classes at College A in the same term, no change from previous years…the student can receive the scholarship for each course.
- If a student is registered for one class at College A and one class at College B in the same term, again, no change from previous years, the student can receive the scholarship for each course.
- If a student is registered for more than two classes at College A in the same term the student can only receive the scholarship for two of the courses; the student will be responsible for the cost of the additional course(s).
- If a student is registered for more than two classes at multiple colleges in the same term only two courses can receive funding and the student will be responsible for the cost of the additional course(s).
- If a student takes two classes in the fall term and two classes in the spring term the scholarship is available (provided we haven’t run out of funds) for all four courses…the limit is per term, not per year.
Additionally, there is a new criteria students can meet to be eligible for the ACE Scholarship. A student whose family income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty level and who is enrolled in a career program of study can apply for an ACE Scholarship. Career program of study means a sequence of at least three high school courses that:
- Are part of a career pathway program of study aligned with:
- the rules and regulations of the Nebraska Department of Education (http://cestandards.education.ne.gov/),
- a professional certification requirement, or
- the requirements for a postsecondary certification or diploma; and
- Have a least one local member of business or industry partnering as an official advisor to the program.
Students applying under this criteria will mark it on the application and will be required to provide a copy of their parent’s 2014 1040 tax form and scholarship personnel will do the calculation to make sure they meet the income guideline. By you approving the ACE application you are certifying that the student meets the career program of study guidelines listed above. The amount of the scholarship will be the amount the college is charging for the course or $250, whichever is less.
- For Fall term classes - application can be submitted starting August 1 (October 15 for Career Program of Study); deadline December 15
- For Winter term classes - application can be submitted November 1 (January 15 for Career Program of Study); deadline March 31
- For Summer classes which have a start date prior to July 1 - application can be submitted April 1 (May 15 for Career Program of Study); deadline July 1NOTE: under this criteria the student is limited to a maximum scholarship amount of $250 per term. Additionally, the law states that students applying under the other six ACE Scholarship criteria are to be given priority when applying for the scholarship; therefore, we are changing the application and deadline dates to the following:For Spring term classes - application can be submitted November 15 (March 15 for Career Program of Study); deadline May 15
- To apply for the ACE Scholarship visit