September 5, 2008 Student Bulletin - Friday
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
Sept 5 Girls Soccer meeting in A113 at 3:15pm
Sept 5 Boys Soccer meeting in A117 Forum at 3:15pm
Sept 9 ACT/SAT registration information session for 10th & 11th graders 2:15-3:15pm Counseling Center
Sept 9 Theatre Parent Booster Meeting 7:00pm
Sept. 11 Choir Parent Meeting 6:00-Show Choir; 7:00-All choir; Orlando trip meeting discussion at end
Sept 18 Junior Meeting 10:40am & 11:00am (students only) in auditorium
Sept 23 Picture re-takes for yearbook
Sept 23 Forensics New Member Auditions
Sept 24 MGDE Test NO LATE START
Sept 24 Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7:00pm
Sept 24 Junior Parent Meeting 5:00pm in auditorium
Sept 30 Survival Skills Informational Workshop 2:05pm (Place TBA)
Oct 1 WGDE Test NO LATE START
Oct 7 Theatre Parent Booster Meeting 7:00pm
Oct 8 WGDE/RGDE Test LATE START Testing begins at 8:15am. Block 1 class begins at 10:25am
Oct 9 Honors Convocation 8:15am
Oct 11 Craft Fair 9am-4pm
LUNCH FOR FRIDAY
Mac & Cheese, Beef Teriyaki Blasters w/breadstick or Chicken Fajita sub
ACTIVITIES FOR FRIDAY
3:15pm Girls Soccer meeting in A113
3:15pm Boys Soccer meeting in A117 Forum
SPORTS FOR FRIDAY
9:00am Girls Varsity Golf at Grand Island Invite at Jackrabbit Run (Depart from LPSCO at 6:30am)
8:00pm Varsity Football at Lincoln North Star at Seacrest Field (Bus departs 6:15pm)
SPORTS FOR SATURDAY
9:00am Varsity Softball at HAC Tournament at Doris Bair SB Complex
11:00am Varsity Volleyball vs. Silver Star Tournament at LSW Main Gym
11:00am JV Volleyball at Silver Star Tournament at Lincoln North Star
- Pictures Students who purchased pictures at locker check-out, please stop by the front entry way on Friday, September 5th, or Monday, September 8th during lunch or after school and pick up your photo's. Life Touch will be here during those times to distribute the picture packets.
- Senior Panoramic Pictures are on sale in the main office for $20.00 for one or $35.00 four different pictures.
- Little Shop of Horrors tickets are on sale in the box office now for the Oct. 2, 3 & 5th performances. Call the Box Office at 436-1306 ext. 66039.
- "LSW ACT Prep for the October 25th exam begins Tuesday September 16th. Students who participate improve their scores in all content areas and overall composite by an average of over 3 points. Sign up at the bookkeeper's window during school hours, classes are from 6:30-8:30pm."
- Wanna be a star? Put your creative, intellectual and verbal skills to use by joining the LSW Forensics Teams! If you'd like to join speech or debate, please attend our first team meeting on Tuesday, September 9th at 6:30 pm in the B200 Forum.
- BOYS SOCCER TEAM will have a Fall organizational meeting on Friday, 9/5/8 at 3:15 pm in A117 Forum.
- GIRLS SOCCER Anyone interested in Girls Soccer should attend the Fall Soccer meeting scheduled for Friday, September 5th at 3:15 in Coach Watson's room (A113). If you are involved in a Fall Sport at LSW, you do not need to attend.
- WASHINGTON DC Anyone interested in traveling to Washington D.C. for the 2009 Presidential Inauguration needs to submit their deposit by Friday, September 5th. Please see Ms. Handa or Mrs. Watson in the A117 TPC with questions.
- PRINCIPAL'S ADVISORY COUNCIL is a small group of Southwest students, from each grade, working together to enhance and improve the Southwest High School community. The council meets with Mr. Slauson the first Tuesday of each month at 7:15am (beginning Tuesday, Oct. 7th) to work on ideas that directly affect the student body. If you would like to be involved in the Principal's Advisory Council, please stop by the main office and pick up an application. Applications are due no later than noon on Friday, September 19th.
- YEARBOOK PICTURES - Re-take picture day will be September 23rd. Watch daily bulletin for more details.
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- COLLEGE REP. VISITATION 11th & 12th graders interested in visiting with college reps. here at LSW may sign up in the Counseling Center before the visitation date:
- College of Hair Design rep. will be here Thurs., Sept. 11th at 1:30 p.m.
- Drake University rep. will be here Tues., Sept. 16th @ 9:00 a.m.
- University of Nebraska Kearney rep. will be here Mon., Sept. 15th 10:00 a.m.
- Midland Lutheran rep. will be here Thur., Sept. 25th 9:00 a.m
- Bryan College of Health Sciences rep. will be here Thurs., Sept. 25th 10:15 a.m.
- Southeast Community College reps. from Lincoln, Beatrice & Milford will be here Tues., Sept. 30th at 9:00 a.m.
- MILITARY REP VISITATION 11th & 12th graders interested in visiting with a military rep here at LSW may sign up in the Counseling Center before the visitation date:
- Marines Mon., Sept. 8th, 10:00 a.m.
- Need help registering for the ACT or SAT college entrance exams? Want more information on the difference between these two exams and which colleges and universities request them? Want help cruising the ACT or SAT websites for valuable information? Sophomores and Juniors are invited to attend an informative session Sept. 9th from 2:15 to 3:15 in the Counseling center. No need to sign up ahead of time, just grab some friends and join us during PLC time! Questions directed to Ms. Tegeler.
- SCHOLARSHIPS - Beginning Friday, Sept. 5th, an updated list of scholarships will be available in the counseling center or on the LSW web site (http://lsw.lps.org/) under: Popular Pages>Counseling Center >Planning After High School>Scholarships.
- EXPLORE SOUTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE - Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 11a.m.-4p.m. - Open House Event on each campus (Beatrice, Lincoln & Milford) on the same day. More information in the counseling center or go to www.southeast.edu
- NE STATE COLLEGE SYSTEM TOUR 2008 - Chadron State, Peru State, Wayne State - Monday, Sept. 22, 7-8:30 pm - Embassy Suites, 10040 "P" Street. Program and scholarship information, deadlines, literature & prizes. Separate sessions for students and parents. Refreshments complimentary. Please RSVP to 471-2505 or firstname.lastname@example.org or www. nscs.edu and click on the "Your choice in '09" button.
- WENDY'S HIGH SCHOOL HEISMAN AWARD - Honors SR male and female students who excel in athletics, academics and student leadership. Online application available at www.wendysheisman.com Completed applications due by Oct. 1.
- UNL CHEMISTRY DAY - Saturday, October 11 - For more information or to register go to www.chem.unl.edu/chemday
- CAMPUS VISIT TO COTTEY COLLEGE - Oct. 17-19 - Bus stops in Lincoln. High school girls (16 and over). More info at www.cottey.edu or see Mrs. Volker in the counseling center. $60 per student includes transportation, room and meals on campus. Must register by Oct. 3.
- 2009 UNITED STATES SENATE YOUTH & HEARST FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM - 2 JRs or SRs from each of the 50 states will be selected for a government and leadership education program in the Nation's Capital and a one-time $5,000 college scholarship. Must be involved with LSW student government such as student council. See Mrs. Volker in the counseling center for an application.
- September 29 - Civil Air Patrol Open House - 7pm in the dining Hall at the Nebraska Air National Guard Base in Lincoln (located near the Lincoln Municipal Airport) From aviation opportunities to leadership development, emergency services training to academic scholarships, the Cadet Program is for youth ages 12-18. Four of the local squadron's graduating cadets received appointments to US Military Academies. For more information, contact Soni Cochran, 1Lt, at 441-6745 or at email@example.com OR visit http://newg-cap.org/Squadrons/155th_Composite/
- THE PRUDENTIAL SPIRIT OF COMMUNITY AWARDS were created by the National Association of Secondary School Principals and Prudential Financial to honor students for outstanding acts of community service. If you have taken part in community service activities of the past year, please fill out an online application form at www.prudential.com/spirit or www.principals.org/prudential (access key: Spirit) to be eligible for an unrestricted award of $1000, medallion, and a trip to Washington, D.C. Complete the form online, print it out, sign and submit to Mrs. Volker by October 31.