September 10, 2008 Student Bulletin - Wednesday
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
Sept 11 Boys Basketball meeting 3:15pm in PE classroom
Sept 11 Choir Parent Meeting 6:00pm-Show Choir; 7:00pm-All choir; Orlando trip meeting discussion at end
Sept 18 Junior Meeting 10:40am & 11:00am (students only) in auditorium
Sept 23 Picture re-takes for yearbook
Sept 23 Forensics New Member Auditions
Sept 24 MGDE Test NO LATE START
Sept 24 Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7:00pm
Sept 24 Junior Parent Meeting 5:00pm in auditorium
Sept 30 Survival Skills Informational Workshop 2:05pm (Place TBA)
Oct 1 WGDE Test NO LATE START
Oct 7 Health Screening
Oct 7 Theatre Parent Booster Meeting 7:00pm
Oct 8 WGDE/RGDE Test LATE START Testing begins at 8:15am. Block 1 class begins at 10:25am
Oct 9 Honors Convocation 8:15am
Oct 11 Craft Fair 9am-4pm
LUNCH FOR WEDNESDAY
Turkey sub, Hamburger Pizza or Chicken Strips w/biscuit
SPORTS FOR WEDNESDAY
4:00pm Boys Varsity Tennis vs. Lincoln North Star (at Woods Tennis Center) (Team dismissal 2:50pm)
4:00pm Boys JV Tennis vs. North Star (at LSW)
4:00pm Boys Reserve Tennis vs. North Star (at North Star)
5:00pm Boys Reserve Football vs. Lincoln Southeast (at Seacrest Field (Bus departs 3:30pm)
5:00pm Girls Varsity Softball vs. Lincoln Northeast (at Doris Bair 1)
5:00pm Girls JV Softball vs. Northeast (at Doris Bair 2)
5:00pm Girls 9th Grade Volleyball vs. Lincoln High (at Lincoln Southeast)
7:00pm Girls 9th Grade Volleyball vs. Lincoln Southeast (at Southeast)
- PICTURES If you ordered picture packets during locker check out this summer, you may pick them up in the main office after school. Re-take picture day will be September 23rd.
- Tuesday PLC Study Hall Need some extra help with an assignment or maybe just a quiet place to work? Every Tuesday, after school, we will have a staffed study hall in B111. Please report by 2:20 pm and you may stay until 3:10 pm.
- Boys basketball meeting 3:15 Thurs, Sept. 11th, in PE classroom for those not participating in a fall sport.
- Student Forum meets in the Auditorium on Fri., Sept. 12th at 7:15 a.m.
- Senior Panoramic Pictures are on sale in the main office for $20 for one or $35 four different pictures.
- Little Shop of Horrors tickets are on sale in the box office now for the Oct. 2, 3 & 5th performances. Call the Box Office at 436-1306 ext. 66039. $10.00 adults - $8.00 students
- "LSW ACT Prep for the October 25th exam begins Tuesday September 16th. Students who participate improve their scores in all content areas and overall composite by an average of over 3 points. Sign up at the bookkeeper's window during school hours, classes are from 6:30-8:30pm."
- PRINCIPAL'S ADVISORY COUNCIL is a small group of Southwest students, from each grade, working together to enhance and improve the Southwest High School community. The council meets with Mr. Slauson the first Tuesday of each month at 7:15am (beginning Tuesday, Oct. 7th) to work on ideas that directly affect the student body. If you would like to be involved in the Principal's Advisory Council, please stop by the main office and pick up an application. Applications are due no later than noon on Friday, September 19th.
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- COLLEGE REP. VISITATION 11th & 12th graders interested in visiting with college reps. here at LSW may sign up in the Counseling Center before the visitation date:
- College of Hair Design rep. will be here Thurs., Sept. 11th at 1:30 p.m.
- University of Nebraska Kearney rep. will be here Mon., Sept. 15th at 10:00 a.m.
- Drake University rep. will be here Tues., Sept. 16th @ 9:00 a.m.
- Joseph's College of Beauty rep. will be here Wed., Sept. 17th at 10:00 a.m.
- Morningside College rep. will be here Tues., Sept. 23rd at 10:00 a.m.
- University of St. Thomas rep will be here Tues., Sept. 23rd at 2:00 p.m.
- Midland Lutheran rep. will be here Thur., Sept. 25th at 9:00 a.m
- Bryan College of Health Sciences rep. will be here Thurs., Sept. 25th at 10:15 a.m.
- Peru State College rep. will be here Thurs., Sept. 25th at 1:00 p.m.
- Southeast Community College reps. from Lincoln, Beatrice & Milford will be here Tues., Sept. 30th at 9:00 a.m.
- Creighton University rep will be here Tues., Sept. 30th at 1:00 p.m.
- AGRICULTURE CAREER DAY - September 14, 9-2:30, on the Northeast Community College Campus in Norfolk. Lunch provided. Pre-register by calling (402) 844-7262 or email email@example.com
- SCHOLARSHIPS - An updated list of scholarships is available in the counseling center or on the LSW web site (http://lsw.lps.org/) under: Popular Pages>Counseling Center >Planning After High School>Scholarships.
- NE STATE COLLEGE SYSTEM TOUR 2008 - Chadron State, Peru State, Wayne State - Monday, Sept. 22, 7-8:30 pm - Embassy Suites, 10040 "P" Street. Program and scholarship information, deadlines, literature & prizes. Separate sessions for students and parents. Refreshments complimentary. Please RSVP to 471-2505 or firstname.lastname@example.org or www. nscs.edu and click on the "Your choice in '09" button.
- WENDY'S HIGH SCHOOL HEISMAN AWARD - Honors SR male and female students who excel in athletics, academics and student leadership. Online application available at www.wendysheisman.com Completed applications due by Oct. 1.
- UNL CHEMISTRY DAY - Saturday, October 11 - For more information or to register go to www.chem.unl.edu/chemday
- CAMPUS VISIT TO COTTEY COLLEGE - Oct. 17-19 - Bus stops in Lincoln. High school girls (16 and over). More info at www.cottey.edu or see Mrs. Volker in the counseling center. $60 per student includes transportation, room and meals on campus. Must register by Oct. 3.
- 2009 UNITED STATES SENATE YOUTH & HEARST FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM - 2 JRs or SRs from each of the 50 states will be selected for a government and leadership education program in the Nation's Capital and a one-time $5,000 college scholarship. Must be involved with LSW student government such as student council. See Mrs. Volker in the counseling center for an application.
- September 29 - Civil Air Patrol Open House - 7pm in the dining Hall at the Nebraska Air National Guard Base in Lincoln (located near the Lincoln Municipal Airport) From aviation opportunities to leadership development, emergency services training to academic scholarships, the Cadet Program is for youth ages 12-18. Four of the local squadron's graduating cadets received appointments to US Military Academies. For more information, contact Soni Cochran, 1Lt, at 441-6745 or at email@example.com OR visit http://newg-cap.org/Squadrons/155th_Composite/
- THE PRUDENTIAL SPIRIT OF COMMUNITY AWARDS were created by the National Association of Secondary School Principals and Prudential Financial to honor students for outstanding acts of community service. If you have taken part in community service activities of the past year, please fill out an online application form at www.prudential.com/spirit or www.principals.org/prudential (access key: Spirit) to be eligible for an unrestricted award of $1000, medallion, and a trip to Washington, D.C. Complete the form online, print it out, sign and submit to Mrs. Volker by October 31.