January 6, 2017
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Jan. 11 Show Choir Concert, 7p.m.
- Jan. 12 Future Hawk Night, 6:30p.m.
- Jan. 16 No School- Martin Luther King Day
- Jan. 18 Seniors order announcements/cap & gown
- Jan. 19 Seniors order announcements/cap & gown
- Jan. 24 On-line registration assistance, 2-3:30p.m.
- Jan. 31 On-line registration assistance, 2-3:30p.m.
- Feb. 1 Winter College Signing Day, 8:30a.m. Auditorium
- Feb. 1 Blood Drive
- Feb. 7 8th grade registration, 3;30-6:30p.m.
- Feb. 9 Parent Teacher conferences, 4-7p.m.
- Feb. 9 8th grade registration, 3;30-6:30p.m.
YOU’VE BEEN CAUGHT SOARING- WAY TO GO!
- Jacob Jesske- Prize for a year
- Kierlyn Schinker -Prize
- - 1st in the lunch line
- Shazia Syed- Premiere Parking
LUNCH FOR: Jan. 6
Please check our LSW Calendar for upcoming sporting events and for any updates on the events.
- 2017 Graduates - Please check the list of potential 2017 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, if there are ANY changes.
- 2017 Senior Ads due no later than 3:00 p.m. on Friday, January 13, 2017. See link: http://wp.lps.org/bbenson2/files/2013/10/SeniorAds.pdf for information. The final deadline is an availability deadline.
- Savannah College of Art & Design Tues., January 10th 9:00 a.m.
- Missouri Western State University Tues., January 17th 9:30 a.m.
- Columbia University Ambassador Visit John William Hao Thur., January 12th 10:00 a.m.
- University of Nebraska Lincoln 11th & 12th Wed., February 1st 1:00 p.m.
COUNSELING CENTER ANNOUNCEMENTS:
The Career Academy is announcing FOUR TCA Information Nights in January for current 10th & 11th graders and parents to learn more about "Doing High School Differently" at TCA in 2017-18. Mark your calendar to attend one of these nights: January 12th, 17th, 24th and 26th. More information is available at TCA's website: thecareer.academy. Also - if you haven't already applied, NOW is the time to apply for the 2017-18 school year at TCA. First-round Acceptances for TCA's 20 Career Pathways will be made in January. Go to thecareer.academy to apply to learn more about your future career!
It is time to register for the 2017-18 school year. The registration window will be open in the Synergy ParentVUE/StudentVue from Wednesday, January 4, through Tuesday, January 31. To complete this registration process, you will need to use a computer not your phone app. Additional information, including online registration directions and graduation requirements for each grade level, is available on the LSW home page located at http://lsw.lps.org/.
For students and families who would like assistance with the online registration process, dates and times of help sessions are listed below:
January 17th @ 2 - 3 pm, LSW Media Center Lab
Current 9th-11th grade students
- January 24th @ 2 - 3 pm, LSW Media Center Lab
- Current 9th-11th grade students
- January 31st @ 2 - 3 pm, LSW Media Center Lab
- Current 9th – 11th grade students
- February 7th @ 3:30 – 6:30 pm
- Current 8th grade students
- February 9th @ 3:30 – 6:30 pm
- Current 8th grade students
SCC At Your Service will be held in the LSW Media Center Lab on Tuesday, January 10th from 10:15 AM to 3:15 PM. This event will provide seniors with extra support as they apply for admission and scholarships with Southeast Community College. SCC Admissions staff will assist students in submitting online applications for admissions and scholarships. It’s the perfect opportunity for students to receive one-on-one assistance and have questions answered.
To ensure that the application processes can be completed, students must have the following information available the day of the SCC at Your Service program:
- Valid and functional e-mail address (it is strongly recommended that it be an email address not associated with your high school)
- Social Security Number
- Mailing address
- Phone number
To register for this event, please visit one of the following links:
Duke Summer Academy is offering more of its dynamic courses than ever before. Whether you want to spend this summer implementing your business ideas, building the foundation for a career in biomedical engineering, or building up community service hours to strengthen your college application, we have a course for you.
Check out the list below to get a taste of what Duke is offering next summer:
The Global Leader – Develop leadership skills and put them into practice as you learn about world diplomacy.
The Global Entrepreneur – Improve your skills in problem solving, risk analysis, creativity, ingenuity, and teamwork to become a cutting-edge innovator.
The Global Incubator – Take your idea to the next level and make your entrepreneurial dreams a reality.
The Global Giver – Give back by learning about philanthropy from the ground up, and earn 60 hours community service hours.
The Global Researcher – Learn about biomedical engineering research and experience a real Duke laboratory.
Interested in learning more? Check out Duke's full course descriptions.
- Message: Girls Soccer conditioning begins this week. See Coach Nettleton for information, or check the schedule posted in A101.
- Do you have a brain full of random information? Then LSW Academic Bowl team is looking for you! Academic Bowl is a fast-paced trivia competition similar to Jeopardy for high schoolers. Topics covered include literature, science, geography, history, and math. Practices are held every Thursday at 3:15 in B109. See Mr. Handelman for more details.
- Are you interested in being part of LSW’s Spring Musical, Disney’s Mary Poppins? Well audition materials and audition and crew forms are available at the Theatre Box Office. Stop by and pick up yours this week, so you can prepare of over break. Auditions aren’t until January 17th and 18th, but get a jump on being prepared. See Mr. Bob if you have any questions.
- Interested in joining Principal Advisory Council? Stop by the main office and pick up an application. The deadline to submit an application is Friday, January 13. If you were a member of the first semester Advisory Council you don’t need to reapply, just stop by the main office or email Mr. Gillotti to continue on for second semester.
- Those interested for the Southwest Boys Soccer Program this spring and are NOT currently involved in a winter sport should come to a short meeting in room A101 with Coach Scheich this Friday at 3:15p.m. We will discuss preseason conditioning details, tentative tryout information, and other expectations for the upcoming season. See you there!
- We ask all driver coming onto school grounds please slow down and be a defensive driver. We also need folks to be polite and respectful in allowing others into the lanes to enter the roundabout. Please take turns. Winter weather is upon us and we have been gettin an increase of calls in the office about rude behavior expressed by students and parents about each other’s driving habits. We’re a team, it will take more time to enter and exit our parking lots during the winter. Please be a courteous driver and plan for the extra time it will take, esp. on icy and snowy days. Thank you for your help and for everyone’s safety.