January 24, 2018
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Jan. 30 Registration for next school year, 2:15p.m. -3:30p.m., C113
- Feb. 1 Blood Drive
- Feb. 2 Show Choir Showdown
- Feb. 6 Parent/Teacher conferences
- Feb. 6 ASVAB testing
- Feb. 6 Parent/Teacher Conferences, 4-7p.m.
- Feb.7 College Signing Day, 8:30-9:30a.m.
- Feb. 8 8th grade Registration, 3:30-6:30p.m.
- Feb. 10 ACT Test
- Feb. 19 Jazz Band Concert, 7p.m.
- Feb 21 Honors Convocation, 8:15a.m., Main gym
- Feb. 26 Band/Orchestra Concert, 7p.m.
YOU’VE BEEN CAUGHT SOARING- WAY TO GO!
- Are you looking for something to do this Friday evening? Do you want to hang out with your friends and win some great prizes?! Then head on down to Southwest for H.A.W.K.S. night! Play all night on one card for $5... double your fun for $8... or triple the insanity for $10 (I know, right!?) Some of the PRIZES include:
- Mamma Mia Tickets at the Community Playhouse
- Gift Cards from: Target, Starbucks, Old Chicago, U-Stop
- Doterra & Mary Kay Items
- and Japanese Candies
- The Southwest Concession Stand will be open, so bring your appetite. Come for the games- stay for the fun! Hope to see you Friday night!! 100% of the proceeds go to the LSW Sister-School Program Funds and Japan Trip.
HEALTH OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS:
It's important to know the difference between flu and cold symptoms. A cold is a milder respiratory illness than the flu. While cold symptoms can make you feel bad for a few days, flu symptoms can make you feel quite ill for a few days to weeks.
· sore throat
· runny nose
· sore throat
· muscle aches
Most flu symptoms gradually improve over three to five days, but it's not uncommon to feel run down for a week or more. It is strongly recommended that Staff and Students stay home while they have a fever over 100 degrees for a minimum of 24 hrs without the aid of fever reducing medication. It is recommended that Staff and Students seek the advice of their medical provider in regards to use of Antiviral medication and return to school.
Registration for 2018-2019
The course selection process for the 2018-19 school year will begin on January 8th and be accessible to students through January 31st. The online course registration process may be completed online using Synergy StudentVUE or ParentVUE. Students/families may register for courses on their own or attend one of the help sessions in the Media Center Computer Lab during PLC time (2:03-3:00) on January, 16th, January 23rd, and January 30th.
Online registration sessions will be held for current 8th graders on Tuesday, February 6th and Thursday, February 8th in the Media Center Computer Lab.
Students and families are reminded that registering for classes does not mean that those classes will be in the 2018-19 schedules as there are times when schedule conflicts occur, classes are not offered, or pre-reqs have not been met. Registration does ensure that students have the opportunity to select the coursework that will best meet their needs.
Online Registration Guidelines:
- Visit the Google Classroom for appropriate grade level
- Read the 4 Year Course Planning Guide Instructions
- Complete and submit the 4 Year Course Planning Guide Assignment
- Review the LSW Online Registration Directions
- Select courses using the online registration system located in the Student VUE or Parent Vue
- Register for 80 credit hours
- Choose two alternates for the alternate category in case there would be a time conflict, class is filled or not offered
- Select extra-curricular activities that are interested in participating in
LUNCH FOR: January 24, 2018
- Chicken fingers with biscuit
- Sloppy Joe
- Southwest Fiesta bowl with baked scoops and cornbread
- Teriyaki Burger
- Chef salad with biscuit
Please check our LSW Calendar for upcoming sporting events and for any updates on the events.
A representative from SCC will be at Southwest on January 25th at 10a to help interested seniors apply for SCC-based scholarships. This is an excellent opportunity to apply for multiple scholarships with a single application-- and with help from the professionals themselves! Sign up in the Counseling Center by Wednesdaythe 24th if interested.
Seniors, please check to the spelling of your name on the list on the Attendance/Registrar’s office window. IF there is an error please notify the Registrar.
- FOR GRADUATING SENIORS ONLY: Application forms for the Silver Hawk Theatre Scholarship are now available in the Black Box classroom and Counseling Center. Students need to fill out the form and necessary paperwork and return these items to Mr. Bob NO LATER THAN March 5, 2018. The scholarship is awarded at the Silver Hawk Theatre Banquet in May, 2018. Students who are applying are not required be majoring in Theatre or Theatre Education after high school.
- University of Nebraska Kearney Tues., Jan. 30th 9:00 a.m.
- UNL Junior's and Senior's Friday, Feb. 2nd 1:00 p.m.
- Wayne State College Mon., February 12th 10:00 a.m.
- Northwest Missouri State University Wed., Feb. 14th 9:00 a.m.
COUNSELING CENTER ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- ATTENTION GIRLS of the JUNIOR CLASS – Applications are now available for the 2018 American Legion “Cornhusker Girls’ State”! It would be an honor to represent LSW at Girls’ State June 3-9, 2018, on the University of Nebraska city campus in Lincoln. This program educates youth in the duties, privileges, rights, and responsibilities of American citizenship. This is accomplished through the creation of an imaginary 51st state which is then governed by the citizens of Girls’ State. More information and applications can be obtained in the Counseling Center. These need to be completed and returned to Mrs. Volker in the Counseling Center by January 31, 2018.
- ATTENTION BOYS of the JUNIOR CLASS – Applications are now available for the 2018 American Legion “Cornhusker Boys’ State”! It would be an honor to represent LSW at Boys’ State June 3-9, 2018, on the University of Nebraska campus in Lincoln. This program educates youth in the duties, privileges, rights, and responsibilities of American citizenship. This is accomplished through the creation of an imaginary 51st state which is then governed by the citizens of Boys’ State. More information and applications can be obtained in the Counseling Center. The application needs to be completed and returned to Mrs. Volker in the Counseling Center by January 26, 2018.
A representative from SCC will be at Southwest on January 25th at 10am to help interested seniors apply for SCC based scholarships. This is an excellent opportunity to apply for multiple scholarships with a single application and with help from the professionals themselves! Sign up in the Counseling Center by Wednesday Jan. 24 if you are interested.
Registration for next year is coming up! Are you interested in being in an LSW CHOIR next year? Come to E-Wing and sign up for a time to visit with Mrs. Cotton or Mr. Jacobson and let us hear your voice. Auditions will be in January. There is info about the vocal placement process and Show Choir Auditions on Mrs. Cotton's website. Check that out or come to E-wing. Take a look at the posters around the building, too. We always look forward to new singers!!
In need of homework help? The Library holds free help and tutoring with homework in the Academic Resource Center on Tuesdays during PLC and Thursdays after school! The writing center is also available to help with papers and essays for classes.