August 27, 2018
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Aug. 27Choir Parent Meeting
- Aug. 28 Senior Class Panoramic Photo, 8:30 a.m. in the main gym
- Aug. 28 Junior Family Meeting at 6:30 p.m.
- Sept. 3 No school – Labor Day
- Sept. 6 Blood drive
- Sept. 7 Homecoming Dance, 8-10p.m.
- Sept. 12 Parent Teacher Conferences, 4-7 p.m.
- Sept. 26 Honors Convocation, 8:15 a.m.
- Sept. 26 Jazz Concert, 7p.m.
- Sept. 27 -29 School Play
- Oct. 2 Sophomore family meeting, 6:30 p.m.
- Oct.3 Show Choir concert, 7p.m.
YOU’VE BEEN CAUGHT SOARING- WAY TO GO!
– School Prize
– 1st in lunch line
– Premiere Parking
- Are you interested in unified bowling or Unified PE? If so, make sure to pick up your unified sports tryout packet this week. Packets can be found in the main office, athletic office, or Miss Benson's classroom c110. All completed packets are due by Friday, September 14th. If you need more information about unified sports, please stop by and talk to miss benson in room c110.
- Challenging classes? LSW NHS offers free tutoring every Tuesday during PLC in the media center. If you are interested in a one-on-one tutor you can fill out a request form on the LSW website to be matched with a tutor as soon as possible.
- Remember any student wishing to bring a guest from another school for Homecoming, will need to stop by the office and pick up a Southwest High School Dance Permission Form or print one from our website. Forms are due back in the main office by Friday, August 31st by 3:30p.m. order for the guest to be eligible to attend our Homecoming dance.
LUNCH August 27th
- Chicken Fingers
- Turkey Sausage & Cheese Mini Pizza Bites
- Cheeseburger Paradise on Croissant
- Chef Salad
- Veggie Teriyaki Sandwich
- Meatless Chef Salad
- Crinkle Fries
- Romaine Lettuce Salad
- Apple Wedges
- Pineapple Tidbits
Please check our LSW Calendar for upcoming sporting events and for any updates on the events.
- Do you need GoPo hours? On Friday, September 14, 2018, Cavett Elementary School is holding a “ Cavett Fun Night” for its students and families from 5-730pm. Fun Night is an annual carnival-like event with games and food for families to enjoy. We are seeking volunteers to help run games and food stations at the Cavett Fun Night. Volunteers will sign up for a 1 hour shifts, but are more than welcome to volunteer the entire time. They will be assigned to a booth and will run that activity and award prizes as elementary students rotate through the event.
- Savannah College of Art and Design Mon., Aug. 27th 9:00 a.m.
- Concordia University Thur., August 30th 10:30 a.m.
- Union College Fri., August 31st 10:00 a.m.
- University of Nebraska Kearney Wed., Sept. 5th 9:00 a.m.
- Vanderbilt University Wed., Sept. 12th 1:00 p.m.
- Creighton University Thur., September 13th 1:00 p.m.
- University of Chicago Thur., Sept. 13th 9:00 a.m.
- Long Island University Fri., Sept. 14th 9:00 a.m.
- University of Denver Mon., Sept. 17th 9:00 a.m
- Columbia University Wed., September 19th 9:00 a.m
- Grinnell College Wed., Sept. 26th 1:00 p.m.
COUNSELING CENTER ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- The United States Senate Youth Program enters its 57th year of providing high school juniors and seniors with an extensive orientation of all branches of the Federal government and the opportunity to receive a $10,000.00 scholarship. The United States Youth Senate Program information and application is no longer be mailed to schools in Nebraska. Information about the program and application is now available online at -http://www.education.ne.gov/ss/USSYP.html Completed applications must be received by the Nebraska Department of Education by 4 p.m., CST, October 3rd, 2018. We cannot accept faxed, scanned, or emailed, applications or answer sheets. Completed applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants will have a scholarship test and answer sheet sent to their school. The designated educator at their school will administer the test and will return the test and the answer sheet to NDE no later than 4 p.m., CST, November 1, 2018.
- C113 computer lab is back open for business after school! Students staying after school in need of a quiet place to work can check into the lab. It is located across from the nurse’s office. The lab is open from 3:15-5:00p.m. Monday, Tuesdays, and Thursday. Wednesday it will be open until 4p.m.
- Senior panoramic photo is Tuesday, August 28th at 8:30a.m. 12th grade will be dismissed at 8:30a.m for this photo. Any 12th grader who doesn’t have a 1st block should report to the main gym at 8:30a.m. to be part of the photo. Students wishing to purchase a photo should submit their order from and payment to the main office.
- Dear French students! The application process for Know Your Neighbor Study Tour trip to France is open. The application deadline is September 13th. You can find applications and further information on the LPS World Languages website (Jump Code RMB9), or see Madame Van Zandt in A203.