August 31, 2018
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Sept. 3 No school – Labor Day
- Sept. 4 Forensics Meeting, 6:30p.m.
- Sept. 6 Blood drive
- Sept. 7 Homecoming Dance, 8-10p.m.
- Sept. 11 – 13 Forensics Auditions
- Sept. 12 Parent Teacher Conferences, 4-7 p.m.
- Sept. 26 Honors Convocation, 8:15 a.m.
- Sept. 26 Jazz Concert, 7p.m.
- Sept. 27 -29 School Play
- Oct. 2 Sophomore family meeting, 6:30 p.m.
- Oct.3 Show Choir concert, 7p.m.
YOU’VE BEEN CAUGHT SOARING- WAY TO GO!
– School Prize
– 1st in lunch line
– Premiere Parking
- Interested in joining Principal Advisory Council? Principal Advisory Council is a small group of Southwest Students from each grade working together to enhance and improve Southwest High School Community. Applications are in the main office and are due back Friday, September 14th.
- Are you interested in offering positive contributions to the Student Fan Federation, Please see Mr. Finley in A211 for access to the Google Classroom group. SFF meets every couple of weeks in the morning to discuss themes and how to support all activities at LSW.
LUNCH August 31th
French Toast Sticks with Sausage Links
- Breaded Chicken Sandwich
- Beef & Cheese Enchilada
- Chef Salad
- French Toast Sticks with Cheese Sticks
- Meatless Chef Salad
- Green Beans
- Romaine Lettuce Salad
- Mixed Fruit
- Assorted Fruit
Please check our LSW Calendar for upcoming sporting events and for any updates on the events.
- Do you need GoPo hours? On Friday, September 14, 2018, Cavett Elementary School is holding a “ Cavett Fun Night” for its students and families from 5-730pm. Fun Night is an annual carnival-like event with games and food for families to enjoy. We are seeking volunteers to help run games and food stations at the Cavett Fun Night. Volunteers will sign up for a 1 hour shifts, but are more than welcome to volunteer the entire time. They will be assigned to a booth and will run that activity and award prizes as elementary students rotate through the event.
- Concordia University Thur., August 30th 10:30 a.m.
- Union College Fri., August 31st 10:00 a.m.
- Vanderbilt University Wed., Sept. 12th 1:00 p.m.
- Creighton University Thur., September 13th 1:00 p.m.
- University of Chicago Thur., Sept. 13th 9:00 a.m.
- Long Island University Fri., Sept. 14th 9:00 a.m.
- University of Denver Mon., Sept. 17th 9:00 a.m
- William Woods University September 18th 9:00 a.m.
- Columbia University Wed., September 19th 9:00 a.m
- University of Kansas Thur., Sept. 20th 1:00 p.m.
- University of Nebraska Kearney Wed., Sept. 24th 9:00 a.m.
- Grinnell College Wed., Sept. 26th 1:00 p.m.
- Wesleyan University Thur., Sept. 27th 1:00 p.m.
- Joseph's College of Beauty Thur., Sept. 27th 9:00 a.m.
- Southeast Community College (Lincoln, Milford, Beatrice) Fri., Sept. 28th 8:30 a.m.
COUNSELING CENTER ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- Greetings from Southeast Community College! We are excited to invite you and your students to our annual Careers in Construction Day on the SCC Milford Campus! Careers in Construction Day is a hands-on event that allows students to explore several construction related career fields. Students will learn from industry leaders and SCC instructors and will work alongside current SCC students.
- Construction Career Day will take place on Wednesday, September 19th from 9 am – 2:15 pm (registration is from 8:30 – 9 am). The event is free to attend. As part of the registration process, we are asking students to indicate their top three interest areas based on the day’s pathways. We’ll do our best to ensure that students are placed in at least one pathway area of specific interest (and hopefully others). Please register at: https://tinyurl.com/SCCconstructionday. The registration deadline is Tuesday, September 11th and space is limited.
- We encourage students to register themselves at the link provided above. We also recognize that it may be more efficient to register your students as a group. If it is, please complete the attached spreadsheet and return it to me via email. Please note that there are drop down menus under the “Interest Area” columns that will allow students to indicate their top interest areas.
- We are inviting area high school students (most beneficial for Juniors and Seniors) to our UNK Health Career Fair on Wednesday, September 26. Students may come in large school groups, or with a parent or chaperone. There is no fee for the fair. We ask that all attendees check-in between 8:15 AM - 8:50 AM in the UNK Fine Arts Building. We hope you can join us for an amazing event featuring new breakout sessions, professional programs, and more for an amazing event featuring new breakout sessions, professional programs, and more! View below for more information and to pre-register. You can also visit our Health Science Career Fair website here.http://www.unk.edu/academics/health_sciences/healthcareersfair.php
- The United States Senate Youth Program enters its 57th year of providing high school juniors and seniors with an extensive orientation of all branches of the Federal government and the opportunity to receive a $10,000.00 scholarship. The United States Youth Senate Program information and application is no longer be mailed to schools in Nebraska. Information about the program and application is now available online at -http://www.education.ne.gov/ss/USSYP.html Completed applications must be received by the Nebraska Department of Education by 4 p.m., CST, October 3rd, 2018. We cannot accept faxed, scanned, or emailed, applications or answer sheets. Completed applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants will have a scholarship test and answer sheet sent to their school. The designated educator at their school will administer the test and will return the test and the answer sheet to NDE no later than 4 p.m., CST, November 1, 2018.
- Students! You now have a chance to nominate and recognize a teacher who helps or helped you SOAR high! If you have an LSW teacher in mind, use the jump code LSWTEACH to nominate your teacher and recognize them for the great work they do!
- The initial ballot for Homecoming royalty is available on the LSW website. You can nominate one male and one female from your grade level. Voting will close Friday at 3:00, so get your vote in today.
- FRANKENSTEIN 1930 In celebration of the 100th Anniversary of Mary Shelly's classic story, Silver Hawk Theatre presents, FRANKENSTEIN 1930. Harking back to the original concept of Frankenstein, this version amplifies the film's suspenseful horror and adds greater depth of character and motivation as well as a new and different love story. All of the eagerly anticipated elements are here: the stone walled laboratory, the crazed scientist, angry villagers, a swooning heroine, a fearful storm and the hideous yet pathetic, deadly creature with its confused mind and powerful, undisciplined body. The final confrontation between the doctor and the creature produces a startling surprise. BE WARNED!
- ARE YOU INTERESTED IN UNIFIED BOWLING OR UNIFIED PE? IF SO, MAKE SURE TO PICK UP YOUR UNIFIED SPORTS TRYOUT PACKET THIS WEEK. PACKETS CAN BE FOUND IN THE MAIN OFFICE, ATHLETIC OFFICE, OR MISS BENSON'S CLASSROOM C110. ALL COMPLETED PACKETS ARE DUE BY FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14TH. IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION ABOUT UNIFIED SPORTS, PLEASE STOP BY AND TALK TO MISS BENSON IN ROOM C110.
- Challenging classes? LSW NHS offers free tutoring every Tuesday during PLC in the media center. If you are interested in a one-on-one tutor you can fill out a request form on the LSW website to be matched with a tutor as soon as possible.
- Remember any student wishing to bring a guest from another school for Homecoming, will need to stop by the office and pick up a Southwest High School Dance Permission Form or print one from our website. Forms are due back in the main office by Friday, August 31st by 3:30p.m. order for the guest to be eligible to attend our Homecoming dance.
- C113 computer lab is back open for business after school! Students staying after school in need of a quiet place to work can check into the lab. It is located across from the nurse’s office. The lab is open from 3:15-5:00p.m. Monday, Tuesdays, and Thursday. Wednesday it will be open until 4p.m.
- Dear French students! The application process for Know Your Neighbor Study Tour trip to France is open. The application deadline is September 13th. You can find applications and further information on the LPS World Languages website (Jump Code RMB9), or see Madame Van Zandt in A203.