September 20, 2018
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Sept. 26 Honors Convocation, 8:15a.m.
- Sept. 26 Jazz Concert, 7p.m.
- Sept. 27 -29 School Play, Frankenstein
- Oct. 1 Student Pictures Re-takes
- Oct. 2 Sophomore family meeting, 6:30p.m.
- Oct. 3 Choir concert, 7p.m. auditorium
- Oct. 4 Health Screening – 10th grade
- Oct. 4 Apply to College, Room C113
- Oct. 4 Theatre parenting meeting 7p.m.
- Oct. 8 Band/Orchestra Concert, 7 p.m.
- Oct. 9 Hawk Food Market, 2:05-3:15 p.m.
- Oct. 9 Winter play auditions, 6p.m. auditorium
- Oct.10 Winter play auditions, 6p.m. auditorium
- Oct. 11 Finals 9:00 -12:15p.m.
- Oct. 12 Finals 9:00-12:15p.m.
- Oct. 15-16 Fall break, No school
- Oct 18 Boys tennis banquet, 6p.m., commons
YOU’VE BEEN CAUGHT SOARING- WAY TO GO!
- Aubrey Aldag and Kelly Nguyen – School Prize
- Makenna Chandler – 1st in lunch line
- Zachery Christianson and Brady Bickford – Premiere Parking
- Dear French Students and their friends! Mark your calendars! Our first French Club meeting will take place on Thursday, September 27! Meet after school in the forum A218! We can't wait to see you there!
LUNCH September 20th
- Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
- Mexi Pizza
- Shredded Chicken Carnitas on a Flour Tortilla
- Chef Salad
- Spaghetti with Marinara Sauce and Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Meatless Chef Salad
- Baby Carrots
- Romaine Lettuce Salad
- Cantaloupe Cubes
- Diced Pears
Please check our LSW Calendar for upcoming sporting events and for any updates on the events.
- Hastings College Wed., Sept. 19th 1:00 p.m.
- Columbia University Wed., September 19th 9:00 a.m
- University of Kansas Thur., Sept. 20th 1:00 p.m.
- University of Nebraska Kearney Wed., Sept. 24th 9:00 a.m.
- Stanford University Tues., Sept. 25th 1:00 p.m.
- Grinnell College Wed., Sept. 26th 1:00 p.m.
- Wesleyan University Thur., Sept. 27th 1:00 p.m.
- Joseph's College of Beauty Thur., Sept. 27th 10:30 a.m.
- Southeast Community College - (Lincoln, Milford, Beatrice) Fri., Sept. 28th 8:30 a.m.
COUNSELING CENTER ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- We are inviting area high school students (most beneficial for Juniors and Seniors) to our UNK Health Career Fair on Wednesday, September 26. Students may come in large school groups, or with a parent or chaperone. There is no fee for the fair. We ask that all attendees check-in between 8:15 AM - 8:50 AM in the UNK Fine Arts Building. We hope you can join us for an amazing event featuring new breakout sessions, professional programs, and more for an amazing event featuring new breakout sessions, professional programs, and more! View below for more information and to pre-register. You can also visit our Health Science Career Fair website here.http://www.unk.edu/academics/health_sciences/healthcareersfair.php
- Interested in viewing or ordering Homecoming pictures? Check out the link on the Southwest website.
- Sister-School Penpal Program Applications - Are you curious about other cultures? Do you like meeting new people? If you answered yes, then the LSW Sister-School Penpal Program might be just what you're looking for. During the year-long penpal program you will be exchanging letters and gifts with a student at our sister-school, Senshu Matsudo, in Japan! The penpal experience culminates in a fun Skype event where we Skype and interact with our sister-school in real time; we will have cultural exchanges (with a traditional Japanese drum performance) and time for each penpal to talk with their Senshu counterpart! If you are interested in becoming a penpal, applications are online at Jump Code: GUP3. You will need 2 teacher references, which can be picked up in the main office. Applications and references are due by 4pm on Wednesday, September 19th, so hurry and get started!
- Japan Trip Parent Information Meeting - Do you like traveling and exploring other countries and cultures? Do you like meeting new people? If so, you might want to consider visiting our Sister-School, Senshu Matsudo with us this summer- July 7th-19th! This 13-day trip will include a homestay with a Senshu student, as well as a tour of Japan- sites including (but not limited to): Tokyo: Asakusa Kannon Temple, Harajuku shopping district, Meiji Shinto Temple, Akihabara Electric Town Kamakura & Hakone: Hachimangu Shrine, Great Buddha of Kamakura Odawara & Kyoto: Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park, Lake Ashi, Mount Komagatake, Odawara Castle Kyoto: Golden Pavilion, Nijo Castle, Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine, Arashiyama Bamboo Forest Nara: Todaji Temple & the Daibutsu (world's largest bronze Buddha), Deer Park, Kasuga Shrine Interested?!?! Check out our full itinerary at Jump Code: PLGX. There will be a Parent Information Meeting the evening of October 3rd in the A118 Forum at 6:30pm. We would love to see you there! If you cannot attend the meeting you can get trip information from either Ms. Cunningham in A213, or Dr. Brady in the Main Office.
- Join the Japanese club on Friday evening, Sept. 28th, for H-A-W-K-S Night! It will be a fun-filled evening of games, prizes, and fun! This is an event for all ages, from toddler on up!
- Students! You now have a chance to nominate and recognize a teacher who helps or helped you SOAR high! If you have an LSW teacher in mind, use the jump code LSWTEACH to nominate your teacher and recognize them for the great work they do!
- FRANKENSTEIN 1930 - In celebration of the 100th Anniversary of Mary Shelly's classic story, Silver Hawk Theatre presents, FRANKENSTEIN 1930. Harking back to the original concept of Frankenstein, this version amplifies the film's suspenseful horror and adds greater depth of character and motivation as well as a new and different love story. All of the eagerly anticipated elements are here: the stone walled laboratory, the crazed scientist, angry villagers, a swooning heroine, a fearful storm and the hideous yet pathetic, deadly creature with its confused mind and powerful, undisciplined body. The final confrontation between the doctor and the creature produces a startling surprise. BE WARNED!
- Challenging classes? LSW NHS offers free tutoring every Tuesday during PLC in the media center. If you are interested in a one-on-one tutor you can fill out a request form on the LSW website to be matched with a tutor as soon as possible.
- C113 computer lab is back open for business after school! Students staying after school in need of a quiet place to work can check into the lab. It is located across from the nurse’s office. The lab is open from 3:15-5:00p.m. Monday, Tuesdays, and Thursday. Wednesday it will be open until 4p.m.