October 8, 2018
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Oct. 8 Band/Orchestra Concert, 7 p.m.
- Oct. 9 Winter play auditions, 6p.m. auditorium
- Oct.10 Winter play auditions, 6p.m. auditorium
- Oct. 11 Finals 9:00 -12:15p.m.
- Oct. 12 Finals 9:00-12:15p.m.
- Oct. 15-16 Fall break, No school
- Oct 18 Boys tennis banquet, 6p.m., commons
- Oct. 22 Softball banquet, 6 p.m., commons
- Oct. 23 Freshman Parent Meeting, 6:30p.m., auditorium
- Oct. 24 Seniors order announcements/caps/gowns, 11:00-1:00p.m. Front entry
- Oct. 25 Seniors order announcements/caps/gowns, 11:00-1:00p.m. Front entry
- Oct. 25 Girls Golf Banquet, 6p.m.
- Oct. 27 Craft fair, 9a.m.- 4p.m.
- Oct. 30 Pre-Act inventory, 10th grade, 2-3p.m.
- Oct. 30 Student Council Movie Night, 5:00p.m.
- Nov. 1 Silver Platter Auction, 6p.m.
- Nov. 2 Cross Country Banquet, 6p.m.
- Nov. 6 Blood drive
- Nov. 6 NCAA Eligibility meeting, 7p.m. A118 Forum
- Nov. 7 Theatre parent meeting, 7 p.m.
YOU’VE BEEN CAUGHT SOARING- WAY TO GO!
- Molly Nora and Carlie Schlisner – School Prize
- Yahir Bernal Campana – 1st in lunch line
- Skylar Black and Teryn Berks – Premiere Parking
- Do you like photography? Are you currently in a photo class now or have you taken one in the past? If so, we are excited to announce that there is a NEW Photography Club at LSW! Everyone is invited to an informational meeting this Tuesday, October 9th at 2:15 in C109. We hope to see you there!
- Attention Juniors and Seniors! We have the following college representatives coming next week from Iowa Western Community College and Buena Vista College. If you are interested, please sign up in the counseling center today.
LUNCH October 8
- Chicken FingersTurkey Sausage & Cheese Mini Pizza Bites
- BBQ Beef Sandwich
- Chef Salad
- Veggie Teriyaki Sandwich
- Meatless Chef Salad
- Crinkle Fries
- Romaine Lettuce Salad
- Orange Wedges
- Pineapple Tidbits
Please check our LSW Calendar for upcoming sporting events and for any updates on the events.
- Iowa Western Community College Thur., Oct. 18th 10:00 a.m.
- Buena Vista University Fri., Oct. 19th 9:00 a.m.
- Northwest Missouri State Mon., Oct. 22nd 10:00 a.m.
- University of Nebraska Lincoln (Honors) Thur., Oct. 25th 9:00 a.m.
- Texas Christian University Fri., Oct. 26th 10:00 a.m.
COUNSELING CENTER ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Could you use some extra support?
If so, ask your counselor about the Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP), a small group consisting of 4-10 students who meet once a week to create plans around any type of challenge, such as mental health issues (stress, anxiety, frustration), medical conditions (diabetes, weight gain, pain management), life issues (addiction, smoking, trauma), and more. The goal is to identify early warning signs and create an action plan for these difficult situations so you can navigate crises more safely or avoid them entirely. Here's what some students said about last year's group:
- "It was nice to make more connections, and this group feels safe."
- "It's easy to talk and laugh in group."
- "I feel I have a closer friend group and know more people at school."
The key concepts of hope, personal responsibility, education, self-advocacy, and support are explored in these interactive meetings (which are free and take place during the school day) and is facilitated by the Mental Health Association of Nebraska and our school social worker, Mr. Barber. For questions or to see if this might be a good
Challenging classes? LSW NHS offers free tutoring every Tuesday during PLC in the media center. If you are interested in a one-on-one tutor you can fill out a request form on the LSW website to be matched with a tutor as soon as possible.
C113 computer lab is back open for business after school! Students staying after school in need of a quiet place to work can check into the lab. It is located across from the nurse’s office. The lab is open from 3:15-5:00p.m. Monday, Tuesdays, and Thursday. Wednesday it will be open until 4p.m.