September 28, 2009 Student Bulletin - Monday
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- September 28 Forensics Parent Meeting, 7:00pm
- September 30 WGDE
- September 30 Noodles Restaurant night out for Science Olympiad 4:00-9:00pm
- October 1 WGDE
- October 1 Theatre Fall Play Performance, 7:00pm
- October 2 Theatre Fall Play Performance, 7:00pm
- October 3 Theatre Fall Play Performance, 7:00pm
- October 5 Forensics Team Meeting, 3:15pm
- October 6 Powder Puff Football 7:30pm
- October 8 Honors Convocation, 8:15am
- October 8 Drama Club Meeting, 3:15pm
- October 8 Theatre Parent Booster Meeting, 7:00pm
- October 10 SAT Test
- October 10 All State Music Auditions
- October 10 Theatre Craft Fair 9am-4pm
LUNCH FOR MONDAY Beef Teriyaki Strips on Brown Rice, Breaded Pork Sandwich, Sweet and Sour Chicken Rice Bowl
SPORTS FOR SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY
- Saturday: Girls Varsity Softball; LSE Invite, 9:00am @ Doris Bair
- Saturday: Girls Reserve Softball; Grand Island/LE Triangular, 10:00am @ LSW Softball Field
- Monday: Girls Varsity Golf; Fremont/East Triangular, 3:00pm @ Fremont CC
- Monday: Boys/Girls Varsity Cross Country; UNK Invite, 4:00pm @ UNK
- Monday: Boys Junior Varsity Tennis vs. Lincoln East, 4:00pm @ East
- Monday: Boys Reserve Tennis vs. Lincoln East, 4:00pm @ LSW
- Monday: Boys Junior Varsity Football vs. Fremont, 4:30pm @ LSW
- Monday: Girls Varsity Softball vs. Fremont, 5:00pm @ Doris Bair 1
- Monday: Girls Junior Varsity Softball vs. Fremont, 5:00pm @ Doris Bair 2
- Monday: Girls Reserve Softball vs. Fremont, 5:00pm @ Doris Bair 3
ACTIVITIES FOR SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY
- Monday: Forensics Parent Meeting, 7:00pm
- Audition Materials Are Now Available for A CHRISTMAS CAROL! -Stop by the Theatre Box Office for script check-out and to obtain cast and crew forms. ALL CREW FORMS need to be turned in to the Box office NO LATER THAN Tuesday, Oct. 13 at 7:00 p.m. to be considered for the crew of A CHRISTMAS CAROL.
- Student Directories--If you ordered a Student Directory and have not yet picked it up, stop by the main office and pick it up today. Thanks
- Mid Quarter Progress Reports--If you haven’t picked up your progress report stop by the main office and pick it up today. Thanks
- October 10 - Silver Hawk FINE ARTS AND CRAFTS FAIR 9-4 p.m. LSW Commons. Over 60 vendors from across the State. $1.00 at the door Concessions provided by LSW Speech & Debate.
- The LSW Multicultural Student Caucus will meet every Thursday at 3:15pm in room B201.
- Tickets are on sale NOW for Silver Hawk Theatre's Fall production of THE MIRACLE WORKER. Tickets are $8 for adults and $6 for students. Call or stop by the Box Office (436-1306 ext 66039) and get yours today!
- The LSW STAND Chapter, Students Taking Action Now; Darfur, will meet Monday mornings in Room B201 at 7:15
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- Are you interested in careers in medicine, forensics, pharmaceuticals, or any of the other types of chemistry? If so, we invite you to become a Chemistry Major at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. We have had outstanding success in training top-notch chemists. You are cordially invited to visit us on UNL's Chemistry Day to learn how we do it. Space is limited. This year, Chemistry Day is being held on Saturday, October 10, from 9:00 am - 2:30 pm in Hamilton Hall, located in the middle of the Lincoln city campus. To register or find out more information at http://chem.unl.edu/chemday/
- Juniors interested in taking the PSAT, sign up starts Monday, September 28th in the Counseling Center and runs through Oct 9th. The $18 fee needs to be paid at the time of registration. Make checks payable to Lincoln Southwest.
- Any Jr. or Sr. that may be attending UNL after graduation should attend the PLC Workshop with the UNL Advanced Scholars, September 29th at 2:15 in the Counseling Center. The UNL Advanced Scholars program allows high school students to earn UNL credit during the junior and senior years. Learn how the UNL Advanced Scholars program can benefit you, whether you plan to attend UNL or another institution, and how simple it is to begin. Students learn how to become college students and become comfortable with the technology utilized throughout your college careers - all at a reduced tuition rate! Plus and enjoy the flexibility Advanced Scholars provides by increasing your course offerings without having leaving the high school.
- Students that will be attending Southeast Community College should enroll for the Compass Placement test that will be administered at LSW On Tuesday, October 20th – 2:15pm – C208. You will need to pre-register and seating is limited. Stop and register at the Counseling Center.
- LATINO SENIORS: The Heartland Latino Leadership Conference will award a $1,000 academic scholarship for the pursuing of a college education in the State of Nebraska. For an application, please see Mrs. Volker in the Counseling Center. Applications must be postmarked by October 1, 2009
- BryanLGH College of Health Sciences will be sponsoring their Fall Career Exploration Day on Saturday October 3rd at 9am. You will have an opportunity to learn about the college's educational programs. Please contact the college by calling 402-481-8697 or 1-800-742-7844, extension 18697 to reserve your spot for this event. Questions? Please see Dr. Kirkland in the Counseling Center - C101.
- The University of Nebraska at Kearney will host its 7th Annual Multicultural Scholars and Leaders Day on Wednesday, October 28th from 9am until 3:15pm. . This event is open to all seniors. The deadline for registering for this event is September 30. Questions? Please see Dr. Kirkland in the Counseling Center, C101.
- JRs & SRs - United States Senate Youth Program - Possibility of a $5,000 Scholarship and attendance at the Washington Week program. Please apply if you are a student council representative OR a student representative elected or appointed to a district, regional, or state-level civic or education organization. For information and an application, see Mrs. Volker in the counseling center ASAP.
- College visits for the month of September:
- Midland Lutheran Tues., Sept. 29th 8:30 a.m.
- College visits for the month of October:
- Nebraska Christian College Fri., Oct. 2nd 9:00 a.m.
- Bryan LGH College of Health Sciences Tues., Oct. 6th 1:00 p.m.
- Northwest Missouri State Wed., Oct. 7th 10:00 a.m.
- Hasting College Fri, Oct. 9th 9:00 a.m.
- Augustana Mon., Oct. 12th 8:30 a.m.
- Briar Cliff University Tues., Oct. 13th 9:00 a.m.
- Creighton University Thur., Oct. 15th 8:30 a.m.
- Gustavus Mon., Oct. 19th 9:00 a.m.
- University of Kansas Mon., Oct. 19th 10:15 a.m..
- University of Chicago Tues., Oct. 20th 8:30 a.m.
- Drake University Tues., Oct. 20th 9:00 a.m.
- Iowa State University Tues., Oct. 20th 10:30 a.m.
- Colorado State University Tues., Oct. 20th 1:15 p.m.
- UNL Honors Program
- (Breakfast Provided) Wed., Oct. 21st 7:30 a.m.
- St. Louis University Wed., Oct. 21st 8:30 a.m.
- Updates from the Counseling Center are available at www.twitter.com/LSWCounselors.
- Attention SENIORS...who have at least a "B" GPA and participate in a least one school-sponsored sport. You are eligible to apply for the Wendy's High School HEISMAN! You may pick up an information card in the counseling center OR go directly to www.wendysheisman.com to register and begin the application process. Completed applications are due by October 1.
- Apply now for the 2010 OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO! College Scholarship Program. $5,000 to a senior for the college of their choice. Pick up an application in the counseling center OR visit www.ohtheplaces.org
- EducationQuest is a free resource for students & families who are planning for college. Learn more at www.educationquest.org
- Visit www.collegeboard.com for info about the SAT & SAT Subject tests.
- Student-athletes who have previously registered with www.ncaaclearinghouse.net will log in here to transfer information to NCAA's new site.
- New web site for NCAA Eligibility Center is located at www.eligibilitycenter.org.
- Check out LSW's Counseling Center web site