October 2, 2009 Student Bulletin - Friday
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- October 2 Theatre Fall Play Performance, 7:00pm
- October 3 Theatre Fall Play Performance, 7:00pm
- October 5 Forensics Team Meeting, 3:15pm
- October 6 Powder Puff Football 7:30pm
- October 8 Honors Convocation, 8:15am
- October 8 Drama Club Meeting, 3:15pm
- October 8 Theatre Parent Booster Meeting, 7:00pm
- October 9 Pep Rally, 9:30am in the main gym
- October 10 SAT Test
- October 10 All State Music Auditions
- October 10 Theatre Craft Fair 9am-4pm
- October 12 Forensics Team Meeting, 3:15pm
- October 12 Winter Play Auditions, 7:00pm
- October 12 UNL Men's Choir Festival, depart LSW @ 8:15
- October 13 Health Screening
- October 13 Winter Play Auditions, 7:00pm
- October 14 Reading GDE
- October 14 Dance Off, 7:00pm
- October 15 Jazz Band/Orchestra Concert, 7:00pm
LUNCH FOR FRIDAY Hamburger Pizza, Chicken Sub Sandwich, Sloppy Joe
SPORTS FOR FRIDAY
- Boys Varsity Tennis; HAC Tournament, 9:00am @ Woods Tennis Center
- Boys Varsity Football vs. Norfolk High, 4:30pm @ Seacrest Field
- Boys/Girls Varsity Cross Country; LPS Champ., 5:00pm @ Pioneers Park
- Boys/Girls JV Cross Country; LPS Champ., 5:30pm @ Pioneers Park`
ACTIVITIES FOR FRIDAY
- Theatre Fall Play Performance, 7:00pm
- Homecoming royalty voting has begun. Links to voting can be found on the LSW website.
- Audition Materials Are Now Available for A CHRISTMAS CAROL! -Stop by the Theatre Box Office for script check-out and to obtain cast and crew forms. ALL CREW FORMS need to be turned in to the Box office NO LATER THAN Tuesday, Oct. 13 at 7:00 p.m. to be considered for the crew of A CHRISTMAS CAROL.
- Mid Quarter Progress Reports--If you haven’t picked up your progress report stop by the main office and pick it up today. Thanks
- October 10 - Silver Hawk FINE ARTS AND CRAFTS FAIR 9-4 p.m. LSW Commons. Over 60 vendors from across the State. $1.00 at the door Concessions provided by LSW Speech & Debate.
- The LSW Multicultural Student Caucus will meet every Thursday at 3:15pm in room B201.
- Tickets are on sale NOW for Silver Hawk Theatre's Fall production of THE MIRACLE WORKER. Tickets are $8 for adults and $6 for students. Call or stop by the Box Office (436-1306 ext 66039) and get yours today!
- The LSW STAND Chapter, Students Taking Action Now; Darfur, will meet Monday mornings in Room B201 at 7:15
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards program is the United States' largest youth recognition program based exclusively on volunteer community service. The program's goals are to applaud young people who already are making a positive difference in their towns and neighborhoods, and to inspire others to think about how they might contribute to their communities. If you've made a difference by volunteering in your community over the past year, you could win $1,000 and a fabulous trip to Washington, D.C., by applying for a Prudential Spirit of Community Award! To apply complete an online application form at http://spirit.prudential.com. Once the form has been completed online, it must be printed out, signed and submitted to Mr. Ernst in the Counseling Center by November 2nd, 2009
- SENIORS: If you plan to go to any one of the following colleges, please see Mrs. Volker in the counseling center for some important scholarship information. Drexel U., Johnson & Wales U., Kettering U., Pace U., Rochester Institute of Tech., U. of Cincinnati, U of Toledo, Wentworth Institute of Tech.
- AXA Achievement Scholarship - You may qualify for a $10,000 or $25,000 scholarship if you are active in your community, have led a project that benefits others or you have overcome personal challenges. Learn more and download an application at: www.axa-achievement.com Apply by December 15.
- College Essay Workshop Tuesday, October 6th @ 2:15-3:00 (Counseling Center)
- This workshop is for students interested in learning how to write effective essays for college applications and
- scholarships. Contact person: Mrs. Volker.
- Are you interested in careers in medicine, forensics, pharmaceuticals, or any of the other types of chemistry? If so, we invite you to become a Chemistry Major at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. We have had outstanding success in training top-notch chemists. You are cordially invited to visit us on UNL's Chemistry Day to learn how we do it. Space is limited. This year, Chemistry Day is being held on Saturday, October 10, from 9:00 am - 2:30 pm in Hamilton Hall, located in the middle of the Lincoln city campus. To register or find out more information at http://chem.unl.edu/chemday/
- Juniors interested in taking the PSAT, sign up starts Monday, September 28th in the Counseling Center and runs through Oct 9th. The $18 fee needs to be paid at the time of registration. Make checks payable to Lincoln Southwest.
- Students that will be attending Southeast Community College should enroll for the Compass Placement test that will be administered at LSW On Tuesday, October 20th – 2:15pm – C208. You will need to pre-register and seating is limited. Stop and register at the Counseling Center.
- BryanLGH College of Health Sciences will be sponsoring their Fall Career Exploration Day on Saturday October 3rd at 9am. You will have an opportunity to learn about the college's educational programs. Please contact the college by calling 402-481-8697 or 1-800-742-7844, extension 18697 to reserve your spot for this event. Questions? Please see Dr. Kirkland in the Counseling Center - C101.
- The University of Nebraska at Kearney will host its 7th Annual Multicultural Scholars and Leaders Day on Wednesday, October 28th from 9am until 3:15pm. . This event is open to all seniors. The deadline for registering for this event is September 30. Questions? Please see Dr. Kirkland in the Counseling Center, C101.
- College visits for the month of October:
- Nebraska Christian College Fri., Oct. 2nd 9:00 a.m.
- Bryan LGH College of Health Sciences Tues., Oct. 6th 1:00 p.m.
- Northwest Missouri State Wed., Oct. 7th 10:00 a.m.
- Hasting College Fri, Oct. 9th 9:00 a.m.
- Augustana Mon., Oct. 12th 8:30 a.m.
- Briar Cliff University Tues., Oct. 13th 9:00 a.m.
- Hillsdale College Wed., Oct. 14th 1:15 p.m.
- Creighton University Thur., Oct. 15th 8:30 a.m.
- Wesleyan Thurs., Oct. 15th 1:00 p.m.
- Gustavus Mon., Oct. 19th 9:00 a.m.
- University of Kansas Mon., Oct. 19th 10:15 a.m.
- University of Chicago Tues., Oct. 20th 8:30 a.m.
- Drake University Tues., Oct. 20th 9:00 a.m.
- Iowa State University Tues., Oct. 20th 10:30 a.m.
- Colorado State University Tues., Oct. 20th 1:15 p.m.
- UNL Honors Program
- (Breakfast Provided) Wed., Oct. 21st 7:30 a.m.
- St. Louis University Wed., Oct. 21st 8:30 a.m.
- Updates from the Counseling Center are available at www.twitter.com/LSWCounselors.
- Apply now for the 2010 OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO! College Scholarship Program. $5,000 to a senior for the college of their choice. Pick up an application in the counseling center OR visit www.ohtheplaces.org. Applications are due by 2/15/2010.
- EducationQuest is a free resource for students & families who are planning for college. Learn more at www.educationquest.org
- Visit www.collegeboard.com for info about the SAT & SAT Subject tests.
- Student-athletes who have previously registered with www.ncaaclearinghouse.net will log in here to transfer information to NCAA's new site.
- New web site for NCAA Eligibility Center is located at www.eligibilitycenter.org.
- Check out LSW's Counseling Center web site