October 9, 2009 Student Bulletin - Friday
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- October 9 Pep Rally, 9:00am in the main gym
- October 9 Student Forum meeting, 7:30am, auditorium
- October 10 SAT Test @ Lincoln East, 7:45am, Bring 2 pencils, your Admissions Ticket and a calculator with you
- October 10 Marching Band Contest
- October 10 All State Music Auditions
- October 10 Theatre Craft Fair 9am-4pm, LSW Commons
- October 12 Forensics Team Meeting, 3:15pm
- October 12 Winter Play Auditions, 7:00pm
- October 12 UNL Men's Choir Festival, depart LSW @ 8:15
- October 13 Health Screening
- October 13 Winter Play Auditions, 7:00pm
- October 14 Reading GDE
- October 14 Dance Off, 7:00pm
- October 15 Jazz Band/Orchestra Concert, 7:00pm
- October 15 Balfour – Graduation Orders
- October 16 Balfour – Graduation Orders
- October 16 Homecoming Football Game 4:30pm
- October 17 Homecoming Dance 8-11pm
- October 19 Forensic Team Meeting, 3:15pm
- October 19 Choir Concert, 7:00pm
- October 21 Girls Golf Banquet, 6:00pm
- October 22 Finals Blocks 1 & 2
- October 23 Finals Blocks 3 & 4
LUNCH FOR FRIDAY Macaroni and Cheese, Fiestada, BBQ Riblette Sandwich
SPORTS FOR FRIDAY & SATURDAY
- Friday: Boys Varsity Football vs. Lincoln Southeast, 4:30pm @ Seacrest Field
- Friday: Girls Varsity Softball; District Championship Game, 5:00pm @ Doris Bair D
- Friday: Boys JV Tennis; LPS JV Tourney, 11:00am @ Nebraska Tennis Center
- Friday: Boys Reserve Tennis; LPS Reserve Tourney, 10:00am @ Lincoln East
- Saturday: Girls Varsity Volleyball; Spartan Invite, 9:00am @ Lincoln East
- Saturday: Girls 9th Grade Volleyball; LHS/LNS/SLE Quad, 9:00am @ Lincoln North Star
- Saturday: Girls Reserve Volleyball; LHS/LNS/LSE Quad, 11:00am @ Lincoln North Star
ACTIVITIES FOR FRIDAY & SATURDAY
- Friday: Pep Rally, 9:00am in the main gym
- Friday: Student Forum meeting, 7:30am, auditorium
- Saturday: SAT Test @ Lincoln East, 7:45am, Bring 2 pencils, your Admissions Ticket and a calculator with you
- Saturday: Marching Band Contest
- Saturday: All State Music Auditions
- Saturday: Theatre Craft Fair 9am-4pm, LSW Commons
- Student directories are available in the office for $6.00. Please stop by and pick one up, if needed.
- HOMECOMING DANCE TICKET SALES! Reminder—All fines need to be paid before students can purchase Homecoming Dance Tickets! Dance tickets will be on sale the week of Oct. 12th. Monday, ticket sales begin at noon and after school; Tuesday and Wednesday before school, during lunch, or after school. On Thursday tickets may be purchased before school and during the noon hour. Thursday at noon will be the last time tickets will be available for purchase! Students will need their ID and date present (if LSW student) when purchasing tickets. Tickets are $5.00 each.
- 9th grade health screening will take place on Tuesday, October 13th in the wrestling gym (D103). Students, please wear your glasses/contacts if you have them. Teachers, please send students to D103 at their designated times. 9th grade students should come to the wrestling gym at the following intervals as they are called (alphabetical by last name):
A-B 8:15 - 8:51am
C-F 8:54 - 9:30am
G-J 9:36 - 10:12am
K-O 10:15 - 10:51am
P-R 12:25 - 12:42pm
S-T 12:48 - 1:25pm
U-Z 1:26 - 2:03pm
- Audition Materials Are Now Available for A CHRISTMAS CAROL! -Stop by the Theatre Box Office for script check-out and to obtain cast and crew forms. ALL CREW FORMS need to be turned in to the Box office NO LATER THAN Tuesday, Oct. 13 at 7:00 p.m. to be considered for the crew of A CHRISTMAS CAROL.
- October 10 - Silver Hawk FINE ARTS AND CRAFTS FAIR 9-4 p.m. LSW Commons. Over 60 vendors from across the State. $1.00 at the door Concessions provided by LSW Speech & Debate.
- The LSW Multicultural Student Caucus will meet every Thursday at 3:15pm in room B201.
- The LSW STAND Chapter, Students Taking Action Now; Darfur, will meet Monday mornings in Room B201 at 7:15
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- High achieving high school scholars are invited to look into the Cambridge College Programme, a summer academic and leadership experience in Cambridge, England. More information can be found at www.cambridgecollegeprogramme.org
- Any student interested in an academic challenge and an opportunity to gain scholarship monies should check out the American Legion High School Oratorical Scholarship Program. Scholarships awards range from $18,000 to $14,000 for National winners. For more information please go to www.legion.org.
- The UNL/UNO and Peter Kiewit Institute Fall Open House is Sunday Oct. 25th, 2009. More information can be found at www.pki.nebraska.edu
- The John F. Kennedy Foundation encourages students to participate in the 2010 John F. Kennedy's Profile in Courage Essay Contest. Winners receive a $5000 scholarship. More information is available at www.jfklibrary.org
- The American Legion Auxiliary Department of Nebraska has many opportunities for students interested in writing essays on Americanism and Patriotism. Various awards and deadlines. See Mr. Ernst by October, 23rd
- The Lincoln Area College Fair will be held at SCC (Lincoln Campus) on October 18th @ 1:00 to 3:30.
- The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards program is the United States' largest youth recognition program based exclusively on volunteer community service. The program's goals are to applaud young people who already are making a positive difference in their towns and neighborhoods, and to inspire others to think about how they might contribute to their communities. If you've made a difference by volunteering in your community over the past year, you could win $1,000 and a fabulous trip to Washington, D.C., by applying for a Prudential Spirit of Community Award! To apply complete an online application form at http://spirit.prudential.com. Once the form has been completed online, it must be printed out, signed and submitted to Mr. Ernst in the Counseling Center by November 2nd, 2009
- SENIORS: If you plan to go to any one of the following colleges, please see Mrs. Volker in the counseling center for some important scholarship information. Drexel U., Johnson & Wales U., Kettering U., Pace U., Rochester Institute of Tech., U. of Cincinnati, U of Toledo, Wentworth Institute of Tech.
- AXA Achievement Scholarship - You may qualify for a $10,000 or $25,000 scholarship if you are active in your community, have led a project that benefits others or you have overcome personal challenges. Learn more and download an application at: www.axa-achievement.com Apply by December 15.
- Are you interested in careers in medicine, forensics, pharmaceuticals, or any of the other types of chemistry? If so, we invite you to become a Chemistry Major at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. We have had outstanding success in training top-notch chemists. You are cordially invited to visit us on UNL's Chemistry Day to learn how we do it. Space is limited. This year, Chemistry Day is being held on Saturday, October 10, from 9:00 am - 2:30 pm in Hamilton Hall, located in the middle of the Lincoln city campus. To register or find out more information at http://chem.unl.edu/chemday/
- Juniors interested in taking the PSAT, sign up starts Monday, September 28th in the Counseling Center and runs through Oct 9th. The $18 fee needs to be paid at the time of registration. Make checks payable to Lincoln Southwest.
- The University of Nebraska at Kearney will host its 7th Annual Multicultural Scholars and Leaders Day on Wednesday, October 28th from 9am until 3:15pm. . This event is open to all seniors. The deadline for registering for this event is September 30. Questions? Please see Dr. Kirkland in the Counseling Center, C101.
- College visits for the month of October:
- Hasting College Fri, Oct. 9th 9:00 a.m.
- Augustana Mon., Oct. 12th 8:30 a.m.
- Briar Cliff University Tues., Oct. 13th 9:00 a.m.
- Hillsdale College Wed., Oct. 14th 1:15 p.m.
- Creighton University Thur., Oct. 15th 8:30 a.m.
- Wesleyan Thurs., Oct. 15th 1:00 p.m.
- Gustavus Mon., Oct. 19th 9:00 a.m.
- University of Kansas Mon., Oct. 19th 10:15 a.m.
- University of Chicago Tues., Oct. 20th 8:30 a.m.
- Drake University Tues., Oct. 20th 9:00 a.m.
- Iowa State University Tues., Oct. 20th 10:30 a.m.
- Colorado State University Tues., Oct. 20th 1:15 p.m.
- UNL Honors Program
- (Breakfast Provided) Wed., Oct. 21st 7:30 a.m.
- St. Louis University Wed., Oct. 21st 8:30 a.m.
- Updates from the Counseling Center are available at www.twitter.com/LSWCounselors.
- Apply now for the 2010 OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO! College Scholarship Program. $5,000 to a senior for the college of their choice. Pick up an application in the counseling center OR visit www.ohtheplaces.org. Applications are due by 2/15/2010.
- EducationQuest is a free resource for students & families who are planning for college. Learn more at www.educationquest.org
- Visit www.collegeboard.com for info about the SAT & SAT Subject tests.
- Student-athletes who have previously registered with www.ncaaclearinghouse.net will log in here to transfer information to NCAA's new site.
- New web site for NCAA Eligibility Center is located at www.eligibilitycenter.org.
- Check out LSW's Counseling Center web site