Novmeber 9, 2009 Student Bulletin - Monday
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- November 9 Forensic Team Meeting, 3:15pm
- November 9 Cross Country Banquet, 6:00pm
- November 9 Blood Drive
- November 10 6 on 6 DECA Volleyball Tournament, 3:30pm
- November 10 Swim Preseason Parent Meeting, 6:30pm
- November 10 Tickets go on sale for A CHRISTMAS CAROL $8 for adults- $6 for students
- November 11 NHS Inductions, 8:00am
- November 11 State Thespian Meeting, 4:00pm
- November 11 College Recruiting Info. Meeting, 7:00pm
- November 12 State Volleyball; early release (11:50am)
- November 12 Drama Club Meeting, 3:15pm
- November 12 Theatre Parent Booster Meeting, 7:00pm
- November 13 Class Meetings
- November 16 Forensic Team Meeting, 3:15pm
- November 16 Winter Activities Begin
- November 19 Boys Basketball Parent Meeting, 7:00pm
- November 20 Techno Dance 8-11pm
- November 23 Forensics Team Meeting, 3:15pm
- November 23 Volleyball Banquet, 6:00pm
- November 24 Football Banquet, 6:30pm
- November 26 & 27 No School – Thanksgiving Break
LUNCH FOR MONDAY
- Chicken Nuggets with Breadstick, Breaded Beef Sticks with Breadstick, Fiestada
SPORTS FOR MONDAY
ACTIVITIES FOR MONDAY
- Forensic Team Meeting, 3:15pm
- Cross Country Banquet, 6:00pm
- Blood Drive
- All fines need to be paid before students can purchase Techno Dance Tickets! Tickets will be on sale the week of Nov. 16th. Monday: at noon and after school, Tuesday: before school, during lunch, and after school, Wednesday: before school and during lunch, Thursday: before school and during lunch. THURSDAY AT NOON WILL BE THE LAST TIME TICKETS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE!!! Students will need their ID and date present (if LSW student) when purchasing tickets. Tickets are $3.
- Pre-season meeting for LSW Silverhawk bowling is Thursday, November 12th at Sun Valley Lanes. Boys and girls of all skill levels are welcome to join. firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Homecoming Photos can be viewed and ordered by visiting www.callamsportsphoto.com. Click on Photo Gallery, Special Events, and Lincoln Southwest Homecoming.
- December 3: Writing the College Admissions Essay. Geared specifically for high school juniors and seniors, this presentation will help students anticipate college admissions committees’ responses to their essays. Students and parents are welcome. Lincoln High School Media Center 7-9 p.m.
- Senior Pictures: SENIORS check the list that will be posted on the main office window on Friday, Nov. 6 of seniors who have their pictures turned in. If your name isn't highlighted, it means yearbook doesn't have your picture yet. Yearbook will use your ID photo (if available) if no photo is turned in. Pictures will also be cropped if necessary to meet specifications.
- If you are interested in applying for Student Council, applications will be available on November 3rd in the main office. Also, you must attend a mandatory student/parent meeting scheduled for Wednesday, November 11th at either 7:15 am or 6:00 pm in room A113. Applications are due Monday, November 16th. If you have any questions, please see Ms. Handa or Mrs. Watson in the A117 TPC.
- The LSW Multicultural Student Caucus will meet every Thursday at 3:15pm in room B201.
- LSW STAND Chapter, Students Taking Action Now; Darfur, meets Monday mornings, B201 at 7:15
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- No Limits Youth Empowerment Movement
- When: November 21st – 22nd
- Location: Covenant Cedars - Hordville, NE (Northwest of York)
- Cost: FREE, we’ll even pick you up
- Looking for Nebraska youth who:
- Are 12-17 years old and entering grades 7-12
- Want to find out the truth behind Big Tobacco’s lies.
- Are willing to take action against tobacco in their community and state.
- More information at:
- 1.866.FYI.TEEN (toll-free teen line) 1.402.489.2727 (fax number)
- Soroptimist is an international organization for business and professional women who work to improve the lives of women and girls, in local communities and throughout the world. Soroptimist is concerned with the special challenges facing today’s girls and young women. The organization launched the Violet Richardson Award program in 2000 as a way to recognize girls for their volunteer service to their communities. The program honors young women between the ages of 14 and 17 whose volunteer efforts include: helping other disadvantaged girls; fighting drugs, crime and violence; cleaning up the environment; and working to end discrimination and poverty.
- Participating Soroptimist clubs implement the program at the local level, where awards vary. Club-level recipients then become eligible for a $1,000 cash award, with a matching $1,000 cash award for the charitable organization of the recipient's choosing. The Soroptimist organization grants one finalist $2,500 award to the recipient's volunteer organization.
- For an application due by December 1st see Mr. Ernst.
- SCHOLARSHIPS or search links for these are listed on the Counseling Center Web Page. They can be found by following these links: LSW Home Page>Counseling Center>Planning for After High School>Paying for College. To get a list of Nebraska-based scholarships that you qualify for, register at ScholarshipQuest (https://www.fes.org/scholarquest/s_login.asp) today and check your account every week for new scholarships going on-line through June 2010.
- High achieving high school scholars are invited to look into the Cambridge College Programme, a summer academic and leadership experience in Cambridge, England. More information can be found at www.cambridgecollegeprogramme.org
- Any student interested in an academic challenge and an opportunity to gain scholarship monies should check out the American Legion High School Oratorical Scholarship Program. Scholarships awards range from $18,000 to $14,000 for National winners. For more information please go to www.legion.org.
- The John F. Kennedy Foundation encourages students to participate in the 2010 John F. Kennedy's Profile in Courage Essay Contest. Winners receive a $5000 scholarship. More information is available at www.jfklibrary.org
- College visits for the month of November:
- Wayne State Mon., Nov. 9th 8:15 a.m.
- Grinnell Mon., Nov. 9th 9:45 a.m.
- Concordia University Wed., Nov. 11th 10:00 a.m.
- Peru State College Wed., Nov. 11th 9:00 a.m.
- Union College Tues., Nov. 17th 1:00 p.m.
- Kansas State University Wed., Nov. 18th 10:00 a.m.
- Updates from the Counseling Center are available at www.twitter.com/LSWCounselors.
- EducationQuest is a free resource for students & families who are planning for college. Learn more at www.educationquest.org
- Visit www.collegeboard.com for info about the SAT & SAT Subject tests.
- Student-athletes who have previously registered with www.ncaaclearinghouse.net will log in here to transfer information to NCAA's new site.
- New web site for NCAA Eligibility Center is located at www.eligibilitycenter.org.
- Check out LSW's Counseling Center web site