December 4, 2009 Student Bulletin - Friday
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- December 5 SAT test
- December 7 Forensic Team Meeting, 3:15pm
- December 7 Parent Teacher conferences 4-7pm in the Main Gym
- December 7 Sophomore Parent Meeting, 5:30pm in the Auditorium
- December 7-11 Yearbook Sales
- December 10 All-School Assembly 10:00am in the Main Gym
- December 10 Theatre Winter Play, 7:00pm
- December 11 Theatre Winter Play, 7:00pm
- December 11 Cheer Senior Night, 7:25pm
- December 12 ACT test
- December 12 Theatre Winter Play, 7:00pm
- December 14 Forensic Team Meeting, 3:15pm
- December 14 Choir/Band/Orchestra Concert, 7:00pm LSW Main Gym
- December 15 Holocaust Literature Trip
- December 15 Show Choir Open Dress Rehearsal, 7:00pm LSW Auditorium
- December 16 State Thespian Meeting, 4:00pm
- December 16 London Trip Packing Event, 3:15pm
- December 21- January 1 Winter Break
- December 27- January 3 London Trip
LUNCH FOR FRIDAY
- Fiestada, Foot Long Hot Dog, Chicken Quesadilla
SPORTS FOR FRIDAY, SATURDAY, AND SUNDAY
- Saturday: Boys 9th Grade Basketball (9th Grade Jamboree), 9:00am @ Lincoln High
- Saturday: Girls 9th Grade Basketball (9th Grade Jamboree), 9:00am @ LSW
- Saturday: Girls Reserve Basketball vs. Lincoln Northeast, 9:00am @ Lincoln Northeast
- Saturday: Boys Varsity Wrestling; Kearney Invite, 9:30am @ Kearney
- Saturday: Boys Reserve Basketball vs. Lincoln Northeast, 10:30am @ Lincoln Northeast
- Saturday: Boys Varsity Basketball; Early Bird Tournament, 1:00pm @ LSW
- Saturday: Girls Varsity Basketball; Early Bird Tournament, 1:00pm @ Columbus High School
ACTIVITIES FOR FRIDAY, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
- Friday: Millard West Speech Tournament
- Saturday: SAT test
- The HAWK TALK school newspaper for December will be delivered to 2nd block classrooms FRIDAY, Dec. 4. Extras can be found in Room C110 and the main office.
- Yearbook Sales: The last sale for $50 yearbook price will be Dec. 7-11, before school 8-11 and after school all days but Tuesday. Yearbooks will also be sold at Parent/Teacher Conferences Dec. 7. The next sales time will be during term 3 for $55 so buy now and save.
- Want to go to school at a real zoo? The Science Focus Program (the Zoo School) is right for you! We offer the LPS math, English, social sciences, and science classes, as well as some courses unique to the Zoo School, including opportunities for field study in the zoo, with UNL and other agencies. Our first Info. Night will be on Monday, December 7 at 6:30pm at the Lincoln Children’s Zoo, 1222 So 27th St. Applications are available on our website – www.zoo.lps.org. For further information call the Zoo School office, 436-1780.
- Southwest FBLA will be selling the new Hawk T-Shirts beginning Monday November 23rd through December 11th for $10. They will be available in the Commons before and after school and at lunch.
- TICKETS ARE ON SALE NOW for A CHRISTMAS CAROL. Dec. 10, 11, 12 at 7:00 p.m. $8 for adults $6 for students. Call the theatre Box Office at 436-1306 for tickets and information.
- Senior ads will be due by Jan. 8. Cost is $35 for 1/8 page of 1-2 pictures and a brief message of congrats. Look for the link on the LSW Home Page to download information form or pick one up in room C110.
- Southwest FBLA is selling purple "fight for preemies" wristbands in the commons before and after school November 18-December 4th. Each wristband is $1 and 100% of that dollar will go to March of Dimes to help fund research to helping babies born prematurely. Please come down and help FBLA "fight for preemies".
- The LSW Multicultural Student Caucus will meet every Thursday at 3:15pm in room B201.
- LSW STAND Chapter, Students Taking Action Now; Darfur, meets Monday mornings, B201 at 7:15
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- December College Visits
- ITT Tech Mon., Dec. 14th 1:30 p.m.
- Jrs. that took the PSAT; your scores have arrived. Please pick them up in the Counseling Center.
- SENIORS...have you submitted your college applications?
- If you haven’t submitted your admission applications yet, it’s time to get serious! Contact your top college choices to determine application deadlines and procedures. Ask if the admission application is also the application for college-based scholarships. If not, ask about the scholarship application process.
- SCHOLARSHIPS or search links for these are listed on the Counseling Center Web Page. They can be found by following these links: LSW Home Page>Counseling Center>Planning for After High School>Paying for College. To get a list of Nebraska-based scholarships that you qualify for, register at ScholarshipQuest (https://www.fes.org/scholarquest/s_login.asp) today and check your account every week for new scholarships going on-line through June 2010.
- High achieving high school scholars are invited to look into the Cambridge College Programme, a summer academic and leadership experience in Cambridge, England. More info: www.cambridgecollegeprogramme.org
- Any student interested in an academic challenge and an opportunity to gain scholarship monies should check out the American Legion High School Oratorical Scholarship Program. Scholarships awards range from $18,000 to $14,000 for National winners. For more information please go to www.legion.org.
- The John F. Kennedy Foundation encourages students to participate in the 2010 John F. Kennedy's Profile in Courage Essay Contest. Winners receive a $5000 scholarship. More information is available at www.jfklibrary.org
- Updates from the Counseling Center are available at www.twitter.com/LSWCounselors.
- EducationQuest is a free resource for students & families who are planning for college. Learn more at www.educationquest.org
- Visit www.collegeboard.com for info about the SAT & SAT Subject tests.
- Student-athletes who have previously registered with www.ncaaclearinghouse.net will log in here to transfer information to NCAA's new site.
- New web site for NCAA Eligibility Center is located at www.eligibilitycenter.org.
- Check out LSW's Counseling Center web site