March 11, 2010 Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- March 11 Theatre Parent Booster Meeting, 7:00pm
- March 11 Vocal Concert, 7:00pm
- March 11 Wrestling Banquet, 7:00pm
- March 11 Girls Soccer Parent Meeting 6-8pm in the A118 Forum
- March 11 Boys Soccer Parent Meeting 6-8pm in the B118 Forum
- March 13 Host State Basketball Consolation Games, 10:00am
- March 15 Forensics Team Meeting, 3:15pm
- March 15 Band Orchestra Concert, 7:00pm
- March 16 Boys Basketball Banquet, 6:30pm
- March 18 Finals
- March 19 Finals
- March 19 Green & White Affair, 7:00pm
- March 22-26 Spring Break
- March 27 Science Olympiad LSW Invite, 8:00-4:00pm
LUNCH FOR THURSDAY
- Creamed Turkey with Breadstick, Breaded Pork Sandwich, Beef Teriyaki with Brown Rice
SPORTS FOR THURSDAY
ACTIVITIES FOR THURSDAY
- Theatre Parent Booster Meeting, 7:00pm
- Vocal Concert, 7:00pm
- Wrestling Banquet, 7:00pm
- Girls Soccer Parent Meeting 6-8pm in the A118 Forum
- Boys Soccer Parent Meeting 6-8pm in the B118 Forum
- CPR/AED Recertification Course at Southwest, April 12-14. Renew your CPR/AED before summer lifeguarding starts. Please, contact Mr. Sherman in D020 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- SENIORS—If you are planning on participating in the Graduation Ceremony in June, please stop by the main office window and check the list of Cap & Gown Orders. If your name is not on the list and you are planning on participating in the ceremony, you need to get a Cap & Gown ordered ASAP!!
- Seniors stop by the theatre hallway and pick up your announcements during the noon hour on Thursday or Friday, March 11th or 12th.
- The Presidential Volunteer Service Award - One sheet needed for each place you have volunteered from Jan. 2009 - December 2009. Forms are DUE BY March 16 to Ms. Applebee in the MAIN OFFICE. Students will be recognized at the next Honors Convocation ceremony.
- Advanced Placement Testing Information is posted at every monitor and the school web site. Sign up before March 19, 2010 at the bookkeeper’s window if you are interested in taking any of these exams. It’s $86 per test.
- **2010 GRADUATES** Please check your name on the list posted on the Attendance Office window. The LEGAL name of the student will be printed on 2010 diplomas as they appear on the list. Any changes must be made through Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by June 1.
- LSW Multicultural Student Caucus will meet every Thursday at 3:15pm in room B201.
- LSW STAND Chapter, Students Taking Action Now; Darfur, meets Monday mornings, B201 at 7:15
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- LSW students interested in Health careers are encouraged to attend the Bryan LGH College of Health Sciences on March 27th at 9:00 A.M. It is an opportunity to learn more about undergraduate and graduate majors, tour the campus and visit with current students. Students need to call 481-8697 ext 18697 make a reservation to attend.
- U.S. Representative Jeff Fortenberry is pleased to announce he will be hosting a U.S. Service Academy Day for high school students and their parents who are interested in learning about the Congressional Nomination Process. The event will be March 27th from 9:00 to noon at the Nebraska Air National Guard building in Lincoln. You must preregister by March 19. To register call Congressman Fortenberry's Lincoln District office at 402-438-1598 or stop in the counseling center.
- Juniors, The United States Naval Academy’s 2010 Summer Seminar Program (NASS) applications are being accepted through March 31, 2010. NASS is designed for students who will have just completed their junior year of high school in the summer of 2010. This program is a fast-paced, six-day experience for high-achievers who may be interested in pursuing an appointment to one of the nation’s service academies and serving as a military officer after graduation. NASS is held in three sessions: June 5-10, June 12-17 and June 19-24. Students with questions about NASS and the application process should call 410-293-1858 or visit www.usna.edu/admissions. The deadline for applications is March 31, 2010.
- Saint Elizabeth Regional Medical Center has Summer Internship opportunities for Sophomore or Junior students that have completed at least two of the following courses: Introduction to Health Occupations, Medical Terminology, Anatomy/Physiology, or Fundamentals of Health Careers.
- A Health Occupations Summer camp on June 14th - 18th, 2010 is available for students that have completed the Introduction to Health Occupations class. For more information log on to http://www.lps.org/instruction/curriculum/cte/internships/health.html or visit the counseling center.
- “TO DO” LISTS
- For Seniors
- If you haven’t already done so, complete your FAFSA!
- Expect financial aid notifications during March and April.
- Continue applying for scholarships.
- For Juniors
- Register by March 31 for the May 1 SAT.
- Schedule college campus visits.
- We have the following college visits.
- Bryan LGH College of Health Sciences Thur., March 11th 10:30 a.m.
- Wesleyan Mon., March 15h 9:00 a.m.
- Hastings College Tues., March 16th 9:00 a.m.
- Dana College Fri., April 9th 9:00 a.m.
- SCHOLARSHIPS or search links for these are listed on the Counseling Center Web Page. To get a list of Nebraska-based scholarships that you qualify for, register at ScholarshipQuest (https://www.fes.org/scholarquest/s_login.asp) today and check your account every week for new scholarships going on-line through June 2010.
- Updates from the Counseling Center are available at www.twitter.com/LSWCounselors.