March 18, 2010 Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- March 18 Finals
- March 18 Track Parent Meeting, 6:00pm in the Commons
- March 19 Finals
- March 19 Green & White Affair, 7:00pm
- March 22-26 Spring Break
- March 23 Boys Golf Preseason Banquet, 6:00pm
- March 26 Special Olympics Nebraska, 5:00pm
- March 27 Special Olympics Nebraska, 6:00am
- March 27 Science Olympiad LSW Invite, 8:00-4:00pm
LUNCH FOR THURSDAY
- Spaghetti & Meat Sauce with Garlic Bread, Beef & Bean Burrito, Breaded Chicken Sandwich
SPORTS FOR THURSDAY
ACTIVITIES FOR THURSDAY
- Track Parent Meeting, 6:00pm in the Commons
- Tickets are NOW on sale for PETER PAN, Silver Hawk Theatre's spring musical. April 15, 16, 17 & 22, 23, 24 at 7:00 p.m. AND April 17th at 2:00 p.m. $10 for adults and $8 for students. Come to the theatre box office 8 -4, Monday-Friday when school is in session OR call 436-1335 (direct line) and get yours today!
- Advanced Placement Testing Information is posted at every monitor and the school web site. Sign up before March 19, 2010 at the bookkeeper’s window if you are interested in taking any of these exams. It’s $86 per test. NO REFUNDS EXCEPT FOR AP APPROVED REASONS IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE TESTS YOU REGISTERED FOR.
- CPR/AED Recertification Course at Southwest, April 12-14. Renew your CPR/AED before summer lifeguarding starts. Please, contact Mr. Sherman in D020 or by e-mail email@example.com for more information.
- SENIORS—Check the list of Cap & Gown Orders hanging in the main office window. If your name is not on the list and you are planning on participating in the graduation ceremony in June, you need to get a Cap & Gown ordered ASAP!!
- **2010 GRADUATES** Please check your name on the list posted on the Attendance Office window. The LEGAL name of the student will be printed on 2010 diplomas as they appear on the list. Any changes must be made through Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by June 1.
- LSW Multicultural Student Caucus will meet every Thursday at 3:15pm in room B201.
- LSW STAND Chapter, Students Taking Action Now; Darfur, meets Monday mornings, B201 at 7:15
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- Bryan LGH College of Health Sciences is hosting their 2nd annual Medical Careers Exploration Summer Camp, July 26-30! Application deadline is May 1, 2010. Space is limited to 25 students entering their sophomore, junior or senior years in high school for academic year 2010-2011 who are in good academic standing with a GPA of 2.75 or higher. Tuition is $250 for the week plus a $50 non-refundable application deposit. Applications are at www.bryanlghcollege.edu or call 402-481-8697 for more information.
- Arete, a one-week adventure at Creighton University, is an integrated living/learning experience for gifted and talented students completing 9th through 12th grades. The all-inclusive fee of $630 includes campus housing and meals, course materials, transportation for field trips and all recreational and social activities for the entire week. More information is available at http://www.creighton.edu/ or see Mr. Ernst in the Counseling Center. Registration will remain open until the program reaches capacity.
- LSW students interested in Health careers are encouraged to attend the Bryan LGH College of Health Sciences on March 27th at 9:00 A.M. It is an opportunity to learn more about undergraduate and graduate majors, tour the campus and visit with current students. Students need to call 481-8697 ext 18697 make a reservation to attend.
- U.S. Representative Jeff Fortenberry is pleased to announce he will be hosting a U.S. Service Academy Day for high school students and their parents who are interested in learning about the Congressional Nomination Process. The event will be March 27th from 9:00 to noon at the Nebraska Air National Guard building in Lincoln. You must preregister by March 19. To register call Congressman Fortenberry's Lincoln District office at 402-438-1598 or stop in the counseling center.
- Juniors, The United States Naval Academy’s 2010 Summer Seminar Program (NASS) applications are being accepted through March 31, 2010. NASS is designed for students who will have just completed their junior year of high school in the summer of 2010. This program is a fast-paced, six-day experience for high-achievers who may be interested in pursuing an appointment to one of the nation’s service academies and serving as a military officer after graduation. NASS is held in three sessions: June 5-10, June 12-17 and June 19-24. Students with questions about NASS and the application process should call 410-293-1858 or visit www.usna.edu/admissions. The deadline for applications is March 31, 2010.
- “TO DO” LISTS
- For Seniors
- If you haven’t already done so, complete your FAFSA!
- Expect financial aid notifications during March and April.
- Continue applying for scholarships.
- For Juniors
- Register by March 31 for the May 1 SAT.
- Schedule college campus visits.
- We have the following college visits.
- Southeast Community College
- Lincoln, Beatrice, Milford Thur., April 8th 1:00 p.m.
- Dana College Fri., April 9th 9:00 a.m.
- SCHOLARSHIPS or search links for these are listed on the Counseling Center Web Page. To get a list of Nebraska-based scholarships that you qualify for, register at ScholarshipQuest (https://www.fes.org/scholarquest/s_login.asp) today and check your account every week for new scholarships going on-line through June 2010.
- Updates from the Counseling Center are available at www.twitter.com/LSWCounselors.