March 29, 2010 Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- March 30 LSW Bowling Banquet, 7:00pm in the commons
- April 1 Class Meetings
LUNCH FOR MONDAY
- Cheese Pizza, BBQ Chicken Sandwich, Philly Cheese Sandwich
SPORTS FOR MONDAY
- Boys Reserve Baseball vs. Lincoln East, 5:00pm @ LSW
- Girls Reserve Soccer vs. Beatrice, 5:00pm @ Beatrice
ACTIVITIES FOR MONDAY
- Each month the teachers at Southwest nominate students for displaying good character. Congratulations to the following students who were nominated for exhibiting the good characteristic of by being caring. We appreciate these "Soaring above the line" Hawks!
- Abby Flory, Derek Hemann, Ashlyn Lee, Kun Yun Kim, Ian Stipke, John Wohlgemuth, Chris Wasser, Sarah Faubel, Makenna Kroeker, Abby Jones, Brittni Eitzman, Sydney Meister, Alyssa Eitzmann, Jayden Haygood, Becca Wolf, Gina Babcock, Halley Schlemmer, Courtney Wagner, Mariah Fyrbu
- The Lancaster County Election Commission is now accepting applications for students interested in serving as Youth Poll Workers. To qualify for the YES (Youth Election Service) program students must be age 14 – 18, attending High School in Lancaster County, and willing to serve for at least four hours on Election Day, May 11, 2010.The YES program is a great opportunity for students to learn about the election process. If students are interested, please see Social Studies Teacher Alyssa Watson in the A117 TPC.
- 10th annual Cans4Books in April
- During the month of April:
- Bring aluminum cans to either A-Can Recycling or A & J Recycling.
- Mention “Cans4Books” and donate your recycling refund to your school media center!
- South location: A-Can Recycling, 3255 S. 10th Street
- North location: A & J Recycling, 3250 N. 20th Street
- Schools with the top dollar earnings per capita will receive Barnes & Noble (South Pointe) gift certificates:
- 1st place - $400 from Midland Recycling
- 2nd place- $200 from Palmer & Sons Refuse
- 3rd place - $100 from Shredding Solutions
- Tickets are NOW on sale for PETER PAN, Silver Hawk Theatre's spring musical. April 15, 16, 17 & 22, 23, 24 at 7:00 p.m. AND April 17th at 2:00 p.m. $10 for adults and $8 for students. Come to the theatre box office 8 -4, Monday-Friday when school is in session OR call 436-1335 (direct line) and get yours today!
- **2010 GRADUATES** Please check your name on the list posted on the Attendance Office window. The LEGAL name of the student will be printed on 2010 diplomas as they appear on the list. Any changes must be made through Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by June 1.
- LSW Multicultural Student Caucus will meet every Thursday at 3:15pm in room B201.
- LSW STAND Chapter, Students Taking Action Now; Darfur, meets Monday mornings, B201 at 7:15
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- Juniors and sophomores to begin their college search efforts by attending an upcoming college fair.
- Lincoln College Fair: Tuesday, April 20 6:30 - 8:00 pm Lincoln Northeast High School 2635 North 63rd Street
- Omaha College Fair: Thursday, April 22 6:00 - 8:00 pm Burke High School 12200 Burke Street
- The College Fairs, brought to you by EducationQuest and the Great Plains Association for College Admission Counseling, will feature representatives from Midwest colleges. EducationQuest will conduct financial aid sessions at both events.
- Bryan LGH College of Health Sciences is hosting their 2nd annual Medical Careers Exploration Summer Camp, July 26-30! Application deadline is May 1, 2010. Space is limited to 25 students entering their sophomore, junior or senior years in high school for academic year 2010-2011 who are in good academic standing with a GPA of 2.75 or higher. Tuition is $250 for the week plus a $50 non-refundable application deposit. Applications are at www.bryanlghcollege.edu or call 402-481-8697 for more information.
- “TO DO” LISTS
- For Seniors
- If you haven’t already done so, complete your FAFSA!
- Expect financial aid notifications during March and April.
- Continue applying for scholarships.
- For Juniors
- Register by March 31 for the May 1 SAT.
- Schedule college campus visits.
- We have the following college visits.
- Southeast Community College
- Lincoln, Beatrice, Milford Thur., April 8th 1:00 p.m.
- Dana College Fri., April 9th 9:00 a.m.
- SCHOLARSHIPS or search links for these are listed on the Counseling Center Web Page. To get a list of Nebraska-based scholarships that you qualify for, register at ScholarshipQuest (https://www.fes.org/scholarquest/s_login.asp) today and check your account every week for new scholarships going on-line through June 2010.
- Updates from the Counseling Center are available at www.twitter.com/LSWCounselors.