May 17, 2010 Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- May 17 Faculty Play, 7:00pm
- May 18 Drama Club Meeting, 3:15pm
- May 18 Girls Golf Preseason Meeting 3:30pm in A112
- May 18 Faculty Play, 7:00pm
- May 19 Senior Recognition, 8:15am
- May 20 Vocal/Show Choir Concert, 6:30pm
- May 20 Girls Soccer Banquet, 6:30pm
- May 22 Flight Night Rehearsal, 12:00am
- May 24 JV & Varsity Baseball Banquet, 6:00pm
- May 24 Scott Middle School Orchestra & LSW Orchestras, 6:30pm, LSW Bands, 7:30pm
- May 25 Special Olympics Banquet, 6:00pm
- May 26 ITS initiation, 4:15pm
- May 26 Boys Soccer Banquet, 6:00pm
- May 27 Theatre Banquet-Lincoln Station, 6:00pm
- May 27 Track Banquet, 6:00pm
- May 28 Flight Night, 7:00pm
- May 29 Flight Night 7:00pm
- June 1 Athletic Awards Ceremony, 6:00pm
- June 1 Marching Band Spring Parent Meeting, 7:00pm
- June 2 Finals
- June 2 Senior Meeting, 12:30 in auditorium
- June 2 Boys Golf Banquet, 6:00pm
- June 3 Finals, Last day of school!!!!!!
- June 5 Graduation 6:00pm @ Pershing
LUNCH FOR MONDAY
- Cheese Pizza, BBQ Ribette Sandwich, Chicken & Nodles
SPORTS FOR MONDAY
- Boys Varsity Golf District Tournament, Time TBA @ Highlands Golf Course
ACTIVITIES FOR MONDAY
- Congratulations to Derek Carstens, Derek Hemann, Jason Hudgens, Dillon McLain, Trenten Meyer, Michael Nordell, Kyle Pedersen, Matthew Petersen, Lac Phan, Landon Schmidt and Salem Topalovic for an outstanding performance at the 2010 Davis Design Architecture Critiques held this past Thursday. These students presented their architectural design solutions for real-world, local, design challenges in front of a panel of Architects, professors and peers - and they represented Southwest extremely well!
- Assurity Life Insurance will provide a mentoring and internship opportunity for a selected senior in 2010/11 school year with an interest in pursuing business, marketing, computers or math at UNL, Union College or NE Wesleyan. Student selection and career interest may determine the area of internship. The scholarship will be paid in two equal installments ($2,500) in each of the student’s first two years of college. Student may also have opportunity for summer employment.
- STUDENT QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED FOR INTERNSHIP APPLICATION: Be in top 50% of their class, have strong interest in business, marketing, computers, or math, have taken multiple related courses in high school, such as Business and Marketing courses, Accounting, Advanced Computer Applications, Algebra
- and ability to keyboard at 40wpm, meet low-income criteria used in the public school system, plan to attend the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Union College or Nebraska Wesleyan University. Submit completed application by May 21, 2010 . More information and applications are available at http://www.lps.org/instruction/curriculum/cte/internships/bmm.html
- Yearbook sales for students are officially over until they come in. Distribution is scheduled for Thursday, May 27 and extra books can be purchased at that time for $60. More information about distribution will be provided the week of May 24. Thank you.
- Any LSW girls interested in playing in the LSW-YMCA Summer Soccer League should see Coach Watson before Wednesday, May 19th.
- Dine-Out with FBLA!! Help us raise funds for our three National Qualifiers by coming out to Culver's on Monday May 24th from 5-7pm. FBLA will receive 10% of the profits.
- Popsicle Sales...Wednesday May 26-Friday May 28th FBLA will be doing their Semi-Annual Popsicle Sales in the commons after school. At 50 cents a piece everyone can afford to come "Get Your Chill On" with FBLA.
- Hawk T-shirts...will also be on sale for the close out price of $6 each at the same booth with the popsicles or you may purchase one through any member. $3 from each t-shirt sale will go to our LSW Special Olympics Team and the other $3 will go to our FBLA National Qualifiers.
- Tickets for the Faculty Play are now on sale. $8 for adults and $6 for students.
- All Seniors: Check your lunch account status. If you have a negative balance, take care of it ASAP.
- **2010 GRADUATES** Please check your name on the list posted on the Attendance Office window. The LEGAL name of the student will be printed on 2010 diplomas as they appear on the list. Any changes must be made through Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by June 1.
- LSW STAND Chapter, Students Taking Action Now; Darfur, meets Monday mornings, B201 at 7:15
- LSW Multicultural Student Caucus will meet every Thursday at 3:15PM in room B201.
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- Registration for summer school: April 19-May 28, 2010 students will register at the Counseling Center. Students wanting to register after this date will need to come to the registration at North Star on June 9, 2010
- “To Do” Lists
- Continue applying for scholarships.
- Start purchasing dorm essentials now to avoid sticker shock in August.
- Start looking for a summer job.
- Schedule campus visits while colleges are still in session.
- Start looking for scholarships.
- SCHOLARSHIPS or search links for these are listed on the Counseling Center Web Page. To get a list of Nebraska-based scholarships that you qualify for, register at ScholarshipQuest (https://www.fes.org/scholarquest/s_login.asp)
- Updates from the Counseling Center are available at www.twitter.com/LSWCounselors.