August 24, 2010 Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- August 26 – FBLA meeting in room B200
- August 26 – Encore IV Auditions 3:30 p.m.
- August 27 – Encore IV Auditions 7:00 p.m.
- August 30 – Pre-season athlete swim meeting 3:15 p.m.
- August 31 – Senior Class Picture 8:30 a.m.
- Sept. 6 – NO SCHOOL
LUNCH FOR THURSDAY
- Sub sandwich, Breaded pork sandwich or chicken nuggets with whole wheat roll
- The Fourth annual NACCAP (North American Coalition for Christian Admission Personal) Christian College Fair will be held at Lincoln Christian High School on September 28th, 2010 from 6:00 to 8:00 p..m. For a list of schools attending go to http://nccf.us/index.php
- Free Photo Shoots for Seniors Pictures will be held for eligible students on Saturday, September 11, 2010 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at The Center for People In Need. The Center is located at 3901 N. 27th Street. For more information, call 476-4357
- SIGN UP ONLINE for Clubs!!!!! Go to the LSW website and sign up for clubs you are interested in. The site is open through September 3. After that time, you will need to sign up with the sponsor of the club.
- Principal Advisory-Principal Advisory is a small group of students from each grade working together to enhance and improve the Southwest High School community. This group meets with Mr. Slauson the first Tuesday of each month. Students interested in joining Principal Advisory Council should stop by the office and pick up an application. Applications are due back to the main office by Friday, August 27th.
- AUGUST 30 - Tickets go on sale for THE LARAMIE PROJECT. September 30 & October 1 at 7:00 p.m. & October 3 at 2:00 p.m. $8 for adults $6 for students. Please stop by or call the Theatre Box Office at 436-1335.
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- The following colleges will have representatives here on the following dates:
- Monday, August 30 – Washington University in St. Louis 8:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, September 8 – College of Hair Design 2:15 p.m.
- Monday, Sept. 9 - University of Nebraska Lincoln 8:30 a.m.
- September 16 – UNL Food Science & Technology 10 a.m.
- Mon., Sept. 13th- Hastings College - 9:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 15th -Northwest Missouri State - 10:00 a.m.
- Thursday, September 15 - Stonehill College 1:30 p.m.
- The National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) is partnering with premier outdoor gear and clothing company Patagonia® for the Dream Expedition Contest. Individuals 13 and older are invited to submit a video before October 31, 2010, answering the following question: What is your dream expedition, and how will you prepare for it? The grand prize is the classic NOLS Wind River Wilderness course—30 days exploring the pristine lakes and rugged peaks of Wyoming’s Wind River Range. The grand prize also includes all the gear required for the Wind River Wilderness course, plus domestic airfare to and from Lander, Wyoming. Watch the contest video on YouTube and visit www.nols.edu/contest for more details.
- Talent for TeamMates will take place on Sunday, October 3rd 2010 from 4-6pm at St. Mark’s Church on 84th & Pioneers. This is a city-wide talent competition that will bring acts from each of the LPS middle and high schools together to perform in front of people all across Lincoln. This event will consist of a few levels of auditions. We will be holding taped auditions in your building and from those auditions, 2-3 acts per school will be selected to take part in our live audition day on Wednesday, September 22nd. After the live audition day, one act from each school and an at large act will be selected to compete in the Talent for TeamMates competition on Sunday, October 3rd.
If you have any questions about the audition process, please contact Amanda Duensing at the Lincoln TeamMates office at 436-1990 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is the YAB?
- Thirty students, ages 17-20, from across the United States and Canada comprise the State Farm® Youth Advisory Board. They are charged with helping State Farm design and implement a $5 million-a-year signature service-learning initiative to address issues important to State Farm and communities across the United States and Canada. Do you know a young individual between the ages of 17-20 that matches these characteristics?
• Passionate about service-learning
• A leader in the community
• Committed to projects to improve the community
• Involved in projects and programs to give back
- Check outwww.statefarmyab.com to learn more about the YAB opportunity – which includes a scholarship - and download the application @http://www.statefarmyab.com/applyBOARD.php Applications MUST be postmarked by September 10th 2010
- It’s College Fair season!Attend Lincoln Area College Fair, Sunday, October 17, 1:00-3:00 pm @ Southeast Community College to find the school that’s the best fit for you! For more details, see the College Fair article at EducationQuest.org. The importance of getting involved! Start the school year by getting involved in extracurricular activities to increase your chances for scholarships and admission to your top colleges. Use the Activities Resume at EducationQuest.org to track your involvement throughout high school – then the information is readily available when it’s time to apply.
- Senior students and parents…start preparing for college admission! College may still seem far off, but admission deadlines will start hitting later this fall. Follow these steps to stay on track:
- Contact your top colleges NOW and ask about application deadlines for admission, college-based scholarships and financial aid. Ask if you need a separate application for scholarships, and about application fees.
- Visit with college representatives at College Fairs, Educational Planning Programs, during campus visits, and when they visit LSW.
- Apply to your top 3-4 colleges before the deadline. Along with your application, the colleges will require your high school transcript, class rank, GPA and ACT/SAT score. They may also request a list of your extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, an essay and an interview.
- September “To Do” List
- Juniors and Seniors ... complete these college planning tasks during September:
- Attend a College Fair or Educational Planning Program in your area.
- Visit EducationQuest.org to:
- estimate your FAFSA results using the College Funding Estimator
- sign up for the Countdown2College e-mail service
- Seniors, register by September 10 for the October 9 SAT.
- Seniors, register by September 17 for October 23 ACT.
- Juniors, ask your guidance counselor about PSAT registration deadlines for the test on October 16