September 20, 2010 Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- Sept. 20 – Silverhawk Booster Club Meeting – 7:30 p.m.
- Sept. 21 – Japan Meeting – 7 p.m. in A218 forum
- Sept 21-27 – Destination BOOK FAIR – during school hours & PT Conferences 9/27/10 (4-7 p.m.)
- Sept. 23 – 3v3 Soccer Tournament 6-9 p.m. main & practice gym
- Sept. 24 – Pep Rally
- Sept. 24 – Homecoming – game @4:30, dance 8-11 p.m.
- Sept. 27 – Picture re-takes
- Sept. 27 – Parent Teacher Conferences – 4-7 p.m.
- Sept. 27 – Junior Parent Meeting – 6:15 p.m.
- Sept. 27 – Gifted Junior Parent Meeting – 7 p.m.
- Sept. 29 – WGDE Narrative Test
- Sept. 30 – WGDE Multiple Choice Test
- Sept. 30 – Laramie Project Performance -7 p.m.
LUNCH FOR MONDAY
- Chicken Nuggets w/ Whole Gran Breadstick, Hamburger on a Bun or Turkey Tetrazzini
SPORTS FOR MONDAY
Varsity & JV Cross Country – 4:30 p.m.
Boys Varsity Tennis - 8 a.m.
Boys JV & Reserve Tennis – 4p.m.
- Over 150 college/military representatives from throughout the U.S. will be participating in the Lincoln Area College Fair on Sunday, October 17th at SCC - 8800 "O" Street. It will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. For a complete listing of participating colleges and military branches, please visit EducationQuest's website at www.educationquest.org. LSW students & their families are encouraged to attend this annual event.
- Homecoming dance tickets will be for sale next week. Students can purchase tickets on Monday after school, Tuesday and Wednesday before school, during lunch and after school, Thursday before school and at lunch.
- The Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) is pleased to announce the 7th Annual Hispanic/Latino Summit to be held at the Embassy Suites – LaVista, NE Hotel and Conference Center, 12520 Westport Pkwy on Monday September 20, 2010. The purpose of the Summit is to increase the awareness of Hispanic/Latino student achievement success and showcase resources available to support their success. At the Summit, we will recognize leadership efforts of Nebraska Hispanic/Latino students. The student’s leadership role may be in the classroom, the community, extracurricular activities, etc. The Summit is an opportunity for parents, students, educators, and community members to increase cross cultural understanding. Major focus will be given to increasing student expectations for success. Some of the student focused sessions will include: post-secondary students sharing successes and challenges, opportunities to network with other students, and career planning resources available to students. Last year we had approximately 1,000 attendees engage in increasing their cross cultural understanding at the Summit. To register for the Summit please go to www.latinosummit.org and fill out the registration form. If you have questions about registration please contact Kelly or Angie at 1-800-793-6272 or 402-476-8055. The Conference is FREE, but students must pre-register on-line prior to the event. We have a chartered bus for this event, if students are interested they should see Dr. Lehn to sign up for the bus and get the permission slip!
- Wendy's High School Heisman - This award honors both men and women seniors who have at least a "B" grade average and participate in a least one school-sponsored sport. Any eligible student can register and begin the application process at www.wendysheisman.com. Completed applications are due by October 3, 2010.
Students remember to check your LSW Student Handbook or LSW website under Student Life for the 2010-11 NEW LSW Dance Guidelines
Tickets are now on sale for THE LARAMIE PROJECT - Silver Hawk Theatre's 2010-2011 season opener. $8 for adults and $6 for students. For tickets and information call the theatre box office at 436-1335.
The Fourth annual NACCAP (North American Coalition for Christian Admission Personal) Christian College Fair will be held at Lincoln Christian High School on September 28th, 2010 from 6:00 to 8:00 p..m. For a list of schools attending go to http://nccf.us/index.php
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
September “To Do” List
Juniors and Seniors ... complete these college planning tasks during September:
Attend a College Fair or Educational Planning Program in your area.
Visit EducationQuest.org to:
estimate your FAFSA results using the College Funding Estimator
sign up for the Countdown2College e-mail service
Seniors, register by September 10 for the October 9 SAT.
Seniors, register by September 17 for October 23 ACT.
Juniors, ask your guidance counselor about PSAT registration deadlines for the test on October 16
For free help with college planning, contact EducationQuest Foundation in LINCOLN:
Updates from the Counseling Center are available at www.twitter.com/LSWCounselors.
Check out LSW's Counseling Center web site