December 13, 2010 Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- Dec. 9 -11th - White Christmas Performance 7 p.m.
- Dec. 11 – White Christmas 2 p.m.
- Dec. 16 – Pep Rally 9:30 a.m.
- Dec. 16- 18th –White Christmas Performance 7 p.m.
- Dec. 22nd – Last Day before Winter Break
- Jan. 15th – Science Olympiad – Thunder Invite – Kansas
LUNCH FOR Monday
- Pepperoni Pizza on Whole Wheat Crust, BBQ Chicken Sandwich on Whole Wheat Bun or Fish & Cheese Sandwich on Whole Wheat Bun
SPORTS FOR Monday
- Boys & Girls Reserve Basketball – 7 p.m.
- FBLA Annual Candy Graham Sales December 13-22
- Co-ed Intramural Basketball sign up is now. Get your teams together and see Coach Kubik in the Athletic Office to get signed up. Deadline is Dec. 21st. Games will begin in January.
- Students who took the PSAT in October your results are in and you can pick them up in the Counseling Center beginning Monday Dec. 13th.
- Students interested in registering for computer classes at the Information Technology Focus Program for second semester or next year are invited to attend an informational meeting tonight, December 9th @ 7 p.m. For those unable to attend the first meeting, a repeat session will be held Tuesday, January 25th @ 7 p.m. Both meetings will be held at the ITFP, located on the 4th floor of the SCC Entrepreneurship Center, 285S. 68th St. Pl. Parents and guardians are encouraged to attend. Call 436-1776 or visit the web site at itfp.lps.org for more information.
- The December Hawk Talk newspaper will be delivered to third block classes on Friday, Dec. 10. Extras can be found in the main office or C110. Look for it!
- FBLA Annual Candy Graham Sales December 13-22
- Southwest Key Club will be hosting an event called Holiday Hawks in the LSW Commons. Holiday Hawks is a free event for elementary students. The event is Sunday, December, 12th from 2-5 p.m. Parents are welcome to drop their kids off and go do some Christmas shopping or run errands. We will have games, crafts, and a movie for the kids to participate in. We will also provide a snack and goody bag for each child. If you have any questions feel free to contact Kevin Schrad (email@example.com)
- Southwest students Sara Johnson and MacKenzie Steinauer will be hosting a paper product drive for The Gathering Place. If anyone would like to donate coffee creamer, sugar, paper cups, napkins, toilet paper, or paper towels please bring donations to the main office. Your student can also bring products to any of their classes. The drive will run from December 6th -December 21st. Your donations would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!
- ATTENTION SENIORS LOOKING FOR SCHOLARSHIPS: The LPS Foundation Scholarships and their criteria are now available at www.foundationforlps.org/scholarships/index.htm and on ScholarshipQuest at www.educationquest.org/scholarshipquest.asp The general deadline for application is March 15, 2011.
- The deadline has been extended to apply for 2011 Student Council. Applications are available in the Main Office and are due Monday, Dec. 13th by 3:30p in the Main Office.
- Participate (2) Graduate 2010-2011 African-American Scholar and Parent Empowerment Series. LPS advocates for the African American Community, Bill Bryant, Shanna Letcher, Transition Specialist Irene Prince, Youth Development Coordinator Peter Ferguson in partnership with the Clyde Malone Community Center invite you to attend the winter Participate (2) Graduate: Conversation with the Superintendent to be held Tuesday, December 7, 2010 at 2032 “U” Street (gymnasium of Clyde Malone Community Center) 5:30- 7 p.m. 5:30-6:00 dinner served, 6-7 p.m. A Conversation with LPS Superintendent Dr. Steve Joel. Students and Parents are encouraged to attend. The evening will include a dinner free for attendees. The Town Hall meeting will start promptly at 6 p.m. and will follow a one for one format. For additional information call 436-1954 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Please think about participating in the Giving Tree. It is an event that we started last year where we team up with Cedars which is a non-profit organization that helps improved the lives of abused, neglected and otherwise vulnerable children and their families. The giving tree is an event in which we receive a list of 100 kids and their gift list we then hang them on a Christmas tree in the commons. If you are interested in purchasing gifts for a kid you can contact one of our sponsors Mrs. Watson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ms. Handa (email@example.com) or a member of student council.
- Learn the basics of Financial Aid and how to complete the FAFSA
- Follow these steps to connect to the Webinar via the Internet: Type the URL listed under the date you wish to participate OR call 800-666-3721 and EducationQuest will email the link to you. Enter the password: Presentation
- You may also participate in a FAFSA Q & A Session, Saturday, Feb. 26th from 9-12. Call 800-666-3721 with questions about the FAFSA and the financial aid process. Questions about the Webinar Q& A Session? Call 800-666-3721 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tickets ARE NOW ON SALE for WHITE CHRISTMAS - Silver Hawk Theatre's winter musical. $10 for adults $8 for students. Call the Box Office at 436-1335 for reservations and information.
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- The following colleges will have representatives here on the following dates:.
- Monday, Dec. 20th – Wesleyan University 10 a.m.
- SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION is available at:
This is also accessible from the LSW web page (http://lsw.lps.org/). Click on 'Counseling Center' under Popular Pages, then 'Planning for after High School', and finally 'Paying for College-Financial Aid & Scholarships'.