January 10, 2010 Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- Jan. 9th – Encore IV Performance 7 p.m.
- Jan. 12th – FINALS
- Jan. 12th – Jazz Band/Show Choir Concert 7 p.m.
- Jan. 13th – FINALS
- Jan. 13th – LSW Ballroom Dance 7 p.m.
- Jan. 14th – No School – End of Semester
- Jan. 15th – Science Olympiad – Thunder Invite – Kansas
- Jan. 15th – Midwest Cup Show Choir Competition – Lied Center, Lincoln
- Jan. 17th – No School – End of Semester
- Jan. 22nd – Show Choir Competition – Pleasant Hill, MO
- Jan. 24th – UNK – Honor Choir
- Jan. 29th – Show Choir Competition – Omaha Westside
LUNCH FOR Monday
SPORTS FOR THE WEEKEND
- Saturday – Boys & Girls Reserve Basketball @Omaha Skutt – 10:00 a.m.
- Saturday – Varsity Wrestling @ Millard West – 9 a.m.
SPORTS FOR MONDAY
- Boys 9th Grade Basketball @ LSW – 7 p.m.
- Girls Varsity, JV & 9th Grade Basketball @ LSW – 5:45 p.m.
- Senior Yearbook Deadline Extension: Yearbook will continue to accept senior ads through the end of next week, Jan. 14. Please make $35 check payable to Southwest High and include with your order. You can send the ad to Southwest High, care of yearbook, or drop it off at the main office. Thank you
- Junior Sneak Peek Day @ Peru State College
- Term 3 student schedules will be distributed during Block 2 on Tuesday, January 11th. Students remember to bring these schedules with you on Tuesday, January 18th for the beginning of Term 3.
When: Friday, March 18th, RSVP Deadline: March 11th
Where: Campus of a Thousand Oaks, Peru State College
Please have interested juniors fill out the registration form at www.peru.edu/admissions.
- Sophomores please pick up your PLAN Test results from the Counseling Center ASAP!
- Attention College Bound JUNIORS: ASSURITY LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY FELLOWSHIP
AMOUNT: $5,000 ( one award per year)
CRITERIA: Top 50% of class, interest in entrepreneurial business including sales and finance, plan to attend UNL, Union College or Nebraska Wesleyan University.
DESCRIPTION: This fellowship program provides an opportunity for interaction between one LPS student and Assurity. The fellowship will provide a mentoring and internship opportunity for the student and a $5,000 postsecondary scholarship.
DEADLINE: Application due by March 18
See Mrs. Volker in the Counseling Center for an application.
- Sophomores Please pick up your PLAN Test results from the Counseling Center ASAP!
- Seniors interested in taking the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) please sign up in the Counseling Center by Jan. 31, 2011. The test date is Tuesday, Feb. 8th @ 8:15 a.m.
- Student Council’s Winter Formal will be held Friday, February 18th from 8/11 p.m. in the LSW Commons. Tickets go on sale February 14th through February 17th. Tickets are $5.00. You CAN bring an outside guests. Don’t wait to buy your tickets!!
- Junior Girls: The 2011 session of Cornhusker @ Girls State, sponsored by the Nebraska American Legion Auxiliary, will be held June 5-11 on the campus of UNL. Girls State deligates will register between noon and 2 p.m. on Sunday, June 5th and will dismiss following graduation and checkout on Saturday, June 11th. Delegates will not be excused from any part of Girls State Session in order to participate in other activities during the week or to take the ACT. All interested junior girls may fill out the Declaration of Interest and Application forms that are available in the Counseling Center and return them to Mr. Ernst by January 21, 2011.
- Scripts are now available for check out for the spring comedy – YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU. Simply come to the box office and check out a script for 24 hrs. Returning it the next day. Audition material for cast and crew will be available next week. Auditions will be held in February.
- No School Friday, January 14th and Monday, January 17th
- Due to technical difficulties with the online registration system, next year's online registration will be delayed until further notice in the Daily Bulletin. Students and their families may now view the LSW Planning Guide and informational power points for each grade level on LSW’s home page located at http://lsw.lps.org/. Prior to registering for next year’s classes, students and their families are encouraged to review the graduation requirement list that is available when logging in to the online registration site.
- Students who are planning on attending a four year college/university will want to select courses that go beyond meeting graduation requirements. The minimum entrance requirements for a four year college/university are as follows:
- Math 40 hours (this includes 4 levels of math)
- English 40 hours (this includes college approved classes)
- Social Science 30 hours (this is met through grad requirements)
- Natural Science 30 hours (this includes 10 lab hours)
- World Language 20 hours (this is the minimum amount required)
- For students with IEP Plans, students/families are encouraged to visit with their IEP Managers to discuss course selection prior to registering for next year’s classes.
- Sophomores your PLAN Test results are in. Please pick them up in the Counseling Center at your earliest convenience
- 2011 Graduates—Please check the list of 2011 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by May 2, if there are ANY changes.
- Students who took the PSAT in October your results are in and you can pick them up in the Counseling Center beginning Monday Dec. 13th.
- Students interested in registering for computer classes at the Information Technology Focus Program for second semester or next year are invited to attend an informational meeting tonight, December 9th @ 7 p.m. For those unable to attend the first meeting, a repeat session will be held Tuesday, January 25th @ 7 p.m. Both meetings will be held at the ITFP, located on the 4th floor of the SCC Entrepreneurship Center, 285S. 68th St. Pl. Parents and guardians are encouraged to attend. Call 436-1776 or visit the web site at itfp.lps.org for more information.
- ATTENTION SENIORS LOOKING FOR SCHOLARSHIPS: The LPS Foundation Scholarships and their criteria are now available at www.foundationforlps.org/scholarships/index.htm and on ScholarshipQuest at www.educationquest.org/scholarshipquest.asp The general deadline for application is March 15, 2011.
- The deadline has been extended to apply for 2011 Student Council. Applications are available in the Main Office and are due Monday, Dec. 13th by 3:30p in the Main Office.
- Participate (2) Graduate 2010-2011 African-American Scholar and Parent Empowerment Series. LPS advocates for the African American Community, Bill Bryant, Shanna Letcher, Transition Specialist Irene Prince, Youth Development Coordinator Peter Ferguson in partnership with the Clyde Malone Community Center invite you to attend the winter Participate (2) Graduate: Conversation with the Superintendent to be held Tuesday, December 7, 2010 at 2032 “U” Street (gymnasium of Clyde Malone Community Center) 5:30- 7 p.m. 5:30-6:00 dinner served, 6-7 p.m. A Conversation with LPS Superintendent Dr. Steve Joel. Students and Parents are encouraged to attend. The evening will include a dinner free for attendees. The Town Hall meeting will start promptly at 6 p.m. and will follow a one for one format. For additional information call 436-1954 or email email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Learn the basics of Financial Aid and how to complete the FAFSA
- Follow these steps to connect to the Webinar via the Internet: Type the URL listed under the date you wish to participate OR call 800-666-3721 and EducationQuest will email the link to you. Enter the password: Presentation
- You may also participate in a FAFSA Q & A Session, Saturday, Feb. 26th from 9-12. Call 800-666-3721 with questions about the FAFSA and the financial aid process. Questions about the Webinar Q& A Session? Call 800-666-3721 or email email@example.com
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER: