February 15, 2010 Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- Feb. 14th – 17th - Tickets go on sale for Winter Formal
- Feb. 16th – Blood Drive
- Feb. 16th – WGDE Multiple Choice testing
- Feb. 17th – Blood Drive
- Feb. 17th –Drama Club Meeting 3:15 p.m.
- Feb. 18th – Winter Formal 8 p.m.
- Feb. 19th - Science Olympiad Regional – Omaha
- Feb. 21st – Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7 p.m.
- Feb. 25th – PLC early release @ 2:03 p.m. *Note this is Friday, not Tuesday*
- March 3rd – No School – LSW Hosting State Basketball
LUNCH FOR Tuesday
- Chicken Popcorn w/ Biscuit, Nebraska Bun or Breaded Pork Sandwich
SPORTS FOR Tuesday
- Boys JV Basketball – 5:45 p.m.
- Girls Varsity Basketball – 5:45 p.m.
- Girls 9th Grade Basketball – LPS Tournament- 5:45 p.m.
- Boys 9th Grade Basketball – LPS Tournament – 5:45 p.m.
- Boys Varsity Basketball – 7:30 p.m.
- Next Yearbook Sale: Feb. 21-25, before and after school and at Parent Teacher Conferences Feb. 21, from 4-7 p.m. Cost remains at $55. Reserve yours now. Next sale in May. Price goes up to $60.
- Attention Silver Hawks February is Black History Month! You are invited to participate in the Black History Month Quiz in the Media Center. Just answer the 12 question quiz posted in the front windows of the Media Center. Bring your answers to the circulation desk and win a prize!! (while supplies last) See the posters and the book display honors writes poets, politicians and athletes!
- LSW students are invited by the University of Nebraska Air Force ROTC, Cadet Shadow Day on April 1st or 15th. the event will be held at the Military and Naval Science building at UNL campus. To reserve a spot contact Captain Nicholson at 472-2473.
- LSW students16 years or older can sign up for the SCC Automotive Camp that will be held June 10th and 11th at SCC Milford. There are 60 spots and they are open on a first come bases. The cost that includes everything is $25. Interseted students should call Rick Morphew at 402-761-8317. Registration deadline is May 6th, 2011.
- Nebraska State Bowling Competition will be held Saturday Feb. 12th and information can be found at www.nhsbf.com LSW qualifiers in the singles competition are Cameron Price & Celeste Labedz.
- CONGRATULATIONS!!! Junior Rebecca Denell has won the Statewide Nebraska Artist of the Year Award!!!!
- October 2011- Make Plans to travel to Japan with a group from Lux Middle School to visit the sites of Hiroshima, Kyoto, Kamakura, Tokyo and our sister school at Chiba, Japan. Dates for the trip are October 15 - 24th. Please contact either Kathi Mercure at email@example.com or Dru Sypal at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- SENIORS…SCHOLARSHIPS – The February and March deadlines are quickly approaching for many, many scholarships that are out there just waiting for your application! Go to ScholarshipQuest: http://www.educationquest.or/scholarshipquest.asp & go to the counseling center web site: http//isite.lps.org/pvolker/web/ScholarshipsFinancialAid.html Apply today or ASAP before time runs out!!
- Participate “2” Graduate a 2011 African-American Scholar and Parent Empowerment Series:
- LPS Student Advocates for the African-American Community, Bill Bryant, Shanna Letcher Transition Specialist, Irene Prince and Peter Ferguson Youth Development Coordinator cordially invite you to attend the 3rd Quarter (February) Participate “2” Graduate, My Resume- A Blueprint to Success! For additional information call 436-1954 or email email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date: Thursday, February 24, 2011
- Where LPSDO (5901 O Street)
- Time: 5:15-8:00 p.m.
- 5:15 – 6:00 dinner served
- 6:00-8:00 My Resume – A Blueprint to Success!
- The Joyce Ivy Foundation provides scholarships to help young women from Nebraska in their pursuit of higher education opportunities at leading academic institutions. In 2010, some 41 young women received scholarships for summer programs at Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Penn, Stanford and Yale. These scholarships cover the cost of tuition, room and board, as well as related expenses such as books, fees, and travel to and from campus. Applications can be submitted NOW online at http://www.joyceivyfoundation.org.
- Summer scholarship opportunity for high school scholars. The Cambridge College Programme at Cambridge University, Cambridge, England, is celebrating its 25th Anniversary this summer. The CCP holds the distinction of being the oldest established, credit-recommended pre-college program at Cambridge for all age high school scholars. Go to the Programme’s website: www.cambridgecollegeprogramme.org, where the brochure and application can be downloaded. The CCP is offering a $500.00 scholarship to all scholars who you can apprise by email of this opportunity.
- The Kohl’s Cares Scholarship Program recognizes and rewards young volunteers (ages 6-18) who help make their communities a better place to live. To be eligible, the student must meet the following criteria as of March 15, 2011. This year, more than 2,100 kids will be recognized with over $415,000 in scholarships and prizes. To nominate a student…go to www.kohlskids.com
- Must be between the ages of 6 and 18 and not yet a high school graduate
- Actions must be described in detail and should document efforts above and beyond what is expected of a child his or her age.
- Volunteer efforts must have occurred in the last year.
- Winners are chosen based on the project, benefits and outcome.
- Students may sign up for AP Testing 2/21/2011 through 3/18/11. The cost is $87 per test. Please see flyers located under the monitors throughout the school for more information!
- VALENTINE FLOWER SALES to the calendar starting Feb. 1 - 11. Delivery on Feb. 14.
- Bright Lights is looking for summer classroom assistant volunteers to help students K-9th grades for the 2011 summer Bright Lights summer program. Assistants are needed between 9th grade through college, who have a passion for a subject and love working with young people. GOPO and Community service hours can be earned. Assistants are trained during a two hour session in May. Volunteers will log 20 hours during one week. Anyone interested in an international experience can assist at Lux Middle School the week of June 27- July 1 when students from Japan will join our classes. Bright Lights will accept applications online beginning February 14 through March 15 at www.brightlights.org. Classes are held the weeks of June 13-17, June 27- July 1, and July 11-15. For questions about volunteering, contact Barb Highstreet:email@example.com or 402-420-1115 ext. 49.
- 2011 Graduates—Please check the list of 2011 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by May 2, if there are ANY changes.
- The Counseling Center will be open for assistance with registration for next year on the following dates:
- Tuesday, Feb. 8th – Current 10th Graders (2:05 p.m.-3:15 p.m.)
- Tuesday, Feb. 15th – Current 9th Graders (2:05 p.m.-3:15 p.m.)
- Friday, Feb. 25nd – Current 11th Graders (2:05 p.m.-3:15 p.m.)*NEW TIME*
- Tuesday, March 1st – Current 8th Graders 3:30 p.m. & 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 2nd – Current 8th Graders 3:30 & 5 p.m.
- Registration window for current 8th Graders on line: now through March 4th
- Health Occupations Summer Camp: Any current Sophomore or Junior student that have taken one of the following courses: Introduction to Health Occupations; Medical Terminology; or Anatomy/Physiology can apply for the Health Occupations Summer Camp. The camp is June 6 - 11, 2011 at Saint Elizabeth Regional Health Center from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. Application are due by March 15th and are available in the Counseling Center. Summer Internship Program: Any current Junior student that have taken two of the following courses: Introduction to Health Occupations; Medical Terminology; Anatomy/Physiology or Fundamentals of Health Careers can apply for the Summer Internship Program. The orientation is June 6th, 2011 Saint Elizabeth Regional Health Center from 7:00 am to 11:00 am. Application are due by March 15th and are available in the Counsel
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- The following colleges will have representatives here on the following dates:
- Wednesday, Feb. 23rd – College of Hair Design 1 p.m.
- Friday, Feb. 25th – Joseph’s College of Beauty 1 p.m.
February ‘To Do” List
Complete these tasks during February to stay on the right college planning track
____ Apply for a Department of Education PIN (one for you and one for a parent) at pin.ed.gov.
____ Complete student and parent 2010 tax returns.
____ Complete the FAFSA at fafsa.gov
____ Continue to apply for scholarships
____ Register by February 11th for the March 12th SAT.
____ Register by March 4th for the April 9th ACT.
For free help with college planning, contact the EducationQuest location nearest you:
Lincoln 402-475-5222 800-303-3745
- SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION is available at:
This is also accessible from the LSW web page (http://lsw.lps.org/). Click on 'Counseling Center' under Popular Pages, then 'Planning for after High School', and finally 'Paying for College-Financial Aid & Scholarships.