March 4, 2011 Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- March 3rd – No School – LSW Hosting State Basketball
- March 7th – Jazz Band Concert 7 p.m.
- March 10th – Choir Concert – Auditorium- 7 p.m.
- March 14th- Band/Orchestra Concert – 7 p.m.
- March 17th – FINALS
- March 18th – FINALS
- March 21st – 25th – SPRING BREAK – NO SCHOOL
- March 31st – Dance Team Auditions 3:30 p.m.
- April 1st – Dance Team Auditions 3:30 p.m.
- April 1st – Class Meetings
- April 4th- 8th - Cheer Tryouts 6 p.m.
- April 5th – Primary Election
- April 6th – Honor Convocation
- PARENTS/GUARDIANS of LSW Students...PLEASE TAKE OUR SURVEY: The Counseling Center Staff is continuing its ongoing goals of evaluating and improving the services provided to students and their families. In order to identify the needs of students and families, we are seeking your input by inviting you to complete the Counseling Center Survey on-line at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VPNJT62 Wednesday, March 9th, 2011, is the deadline for completing it. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter
- Advanced Placement United States History Review Sessions
- Who: AP US History Students
- What: Review for the AP U S History Examn
- When: The next 7 Monday’s (excluding March 14 & 21)
- March 7 – Strategy & Unit I
- March 28 – Unit II
- April 4 – Unit III
- April 11 – Unit IV
- April 18 – Unit V & VI
- April 25 – Unit VII
- May 4 – Unit VIII & IX
- Time: 7:30 a.m. & 3:30 p.m.
- Where: Room A101
- Why: So you can prepare for this years exam on May 6th!
- If you are interested in Zero Hour Weight Training please stop by the main office to sign up with Mrs. Dirks.
- All 9-11th grade students interested in being in LSW Choir next school year (not currently in choir) should come to E-wing to sign up for a vocal placement audition time. This is a very easy and painless process…we just need to get to know you and help you discover which choir is best for you. Please do this by Friday, March 4th. More information is on Mrs. Cotton’s website: http://isite.lps.org/dcotton/ChoirAudition.html or stop by E-120 to visit.
- Yearbook sales occurring last week are officially over. The next yearbook sale is May 2-6 during 4th term Parent/Teacher conference week. We will sell before and after school as well as at conferences on May 3. Yearbooks are now $60.
LUNCH FOR FRIDAY
- Hamburger on a Bun, Chicken Quesadilla or French Bread Garlic Cheese Pizza
- Emeralds Dance Team Auditions: Informational sheets for the 2011-2012 Emeralds Dance Team auditions are now available in the Main Office, Athletic Office or on Ms. Handa’s website. There is a mandatory parent and dancer meeting on Tuesday, March 8th at either 7:15 a.m. or 6 p.m. in the A118 Forum.
- On line registration for the 2011-2012 school year has been extended until midnight on Friday, March 4th!
- Looking for the right college? Meet with representatives from Midwest colleges and attend a financial aid session. Tuesday, April 5th 6-8 p.m. @ Lincoln Northeast High School, 2635 N. 63td St.
- Did you know that TV chef Julia Child was a spy during WWII? Visit your school library to see famous women on the ‘Facebook” window pages!!
- Here's your exciting opportunity to be a part of Hogwarts at Southwest this summer. June 27th through July 1st is a Bright Lights day camp for 3rd through 6th graders. You need to be available from 8 to 4 those five days. If you would like to Prefect (assist) for this camp please see Mrs. Wright in B205.
- Each year, high school juniors from each of the American Legion's 15 Districts are chosen to participate in the Junior Law Cadet Program. Participants will stay at the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center in Grand Island where they will explore and experience the various aspects of law enforcement and receive training from representatives of city, county, state and federal law enforcement officers.
- High School Junior in good health and able to participate in physical activities.
- Must possess a positive attitude and display respect for law enforcement.
- Good grooming, average or above scholastic record, and be able to share the knowledge through the program with others.
- Must possess a valid Nebraska Driver’s License or Learner’s Permit.
Applications are available here, through Counseling Center or your local American Legion Post Commander. You may also contact the American Legion Communications Director at 402-464-6338 or email email@example.com.
- BryanLGH College of Health Sciences is hosting an Exploration Day on Saturday, March 26th! Registration is 8:30-9 a.m. and the program begins promptly at 9 a.m. Attendees will have the opportunity to talk to faculty and students, take a tour of campus, and learn about careers in each of our programs. Learn about the exciting and rewarding opportunities that BryanLGH College of Health Sciences has to offer in Adult Cardiac Sonography, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Health Professions Completion, Nursing, RN to BSN Completion, Nurse Anesthesia, and Vascular Sonography!
Place: BryanLGH College of Health Sciences
5035 Everett St.
To RSVP: Call 481-8697 by Thursday March 24th
- LSW students are invited by the University of Nebraska Air Force ROTC, Cadet Shadow Day on April 1st or 15th. the event will be held at the Military and Naval Science building at UNL campus. To reserve a spot contact Captain Nicholson at 472-2473.
- LSW students16 years or older can sign up for the SCC Automotive Camp that will be held June 10th and 11th at SCC Milford. There are 60 spots and they are open on a first come bases. The cost that includes everything is $25. Interested students should call Rick Morphew at 402-761-8317. Registration deadline is May 6th, 2011.
- SENIORS…SCHOLARSHIPS – The February and March deadlines are quickly approaching for many, many scholarships that are out there just waiting for your application! Go to ScholarshipQuest: http://www.educationquest.or/scholarshipquest.asp & go to the counseling center web site: http//isite.lps.org/pvolker/web/ScholarshipsFinancialAid.html Apply today or ASAP before time runs out!!
- Summer scholarship opportunity for high school scholars. The Cambridge College Programme at Cambridge University, Cambridge, England, is celebrating its 25th Anniversary this summer. The CCP holds the distinction of being the oldest established, credit-recommended pre-college program at Cambridge for all age high school scholars. Go to the Programme’s website: www.cambridgecollegeprogramme.org, where the brochure and application can be downloaded. The CCP is offering a $500.00 scholarship to all scholars who you can apprise by email of this opportunity.
- The Kohl’s Cares Scholarship Program recognizes and rewards young volunteers (ages 6-18) who help make their communities a better place to live. To be eligible, the student must meet the following criteria as of March 15, 2011. This year, more than 2,100 kids will be recognized with over $415,000 in scholarships and prizes. To nominate a student…go to www.kohlskids.com
Must be between the ages of 6 and 18 and not yet a high school graduate
Actions must be described in detail and should document efforts above and beyond what is expected of a child his or her age.
Volunteer efforts must have occurred in the last year.
Winners are chosen based on the project, benefits and outcome.
- Students may sign up for AP Testing 2/21/2011 through 3/18/11. The cost is $87 per test. Please see flyers located under the monitors throughout the school for more information!
- 2011 Graduates—Please check the list of 2011 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by May 2, if there are ANY changes.
- Health Occupations Summer Camp: Any current Sophomore or Junior student that have taken one of the following courses: Introduction to Health Occupations; Medical Terminology; or Anatomy/Physiology can apply for the Health Occupations Summer Camp. The camp is June 6 - 11, 2011 at Saint Elizabeth Regional Health Center from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. Application are due by March 15th and are available in the Counseling Center. Summer Internship Program: Any current Junior student that have taken two of the following courses: Introduction to Health Occupations; Medical Terminology; Anatomy/Physiology or Fundamentals of Health Careers can apply for the Summer Internship Program. The orientation is June 6th, 2011 Saint Elizabeth Regional Health Center from 7:00 am to 11:00 am. Application are due by March 15th and are available in the Counseling Center. Six interns will be notified by mail by May 1.
- Junior Sneak Peek Day @ Peru State College
- When: Friday, March 18th, RSVP Deadline: March 11th
- Where: Campus of a Thousand Oaks, Peru State College
- Please have interested juniors fill out the registration form at www.peru.edu/admissions.
- ATTENTION SENIORS LOOKING FOR SCHOLARSHIPS: The LPS Foundation Scholarships and their criteria are now available at www.foundationforlps.org/scholarships/index.htm and on ScholarshipQuest at www.educationquest.org/scholarshipquest.asp The general deadline for application is March 15, 2011.
- Bright Lights is looking for summer classroom assistant volunteers to help students K-9th grades for the 2011 summer Bright Lights summer program. Assistants are needed between 9th grade through college, who have a passion for a subject and love working with young people. GOPO and Community service hours can be earned. Assistants are trained during a two hour session in May. Volunteers will log 20 hours during one week. Anyone interested in an international experience can assist at Lux Middle School the week of June 27- July 1 when students from Japan will join our classes. Bright Lights will accept applications online beginning February 14 through March 15 at www.brightlights.org. Classes are held the weeks of June 13-17, June 27- July 1, and July 11-15. For questions about volunteering, contact Barb Highstreet:firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-420-1115 ext. 49.
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
The following colleges will have representatives here on the following dates:
- Tuesday, March 8th – Northwest Missouri State 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 9th – Wayne State 9 a.m.
- Wednesday, March 9th – Northwestern College 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, March 30th – Iowa Western Community College 10:45 a.m.
College Bound Students March “To Do” List
___ If you haven’t already done so, complete your FAFSA!
___ Expect financial aid notifications during March and April.
___ Continue applying for scholarships.
___ Register by March 4 for the April 9 ACT.
___ Register by April 8 for the May 7 SAT.
___ Schedule campus visits.