September 1, 2011 Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- September 1 – Drama Club Meeting 3:15 p.m.
- September 1 – Senior Family Meeting – 6:30 p.m.
- September 1 – Theater Parent Booster Meeting – 7 p.m.
- September 1 – Homecoming Pep Rally 9:39 a.m.
- September 2 – Homecoming Dance 8 p.m.
- September 5 – NO SCHOOL – Labor Day
- September 6 – Freshmen Family Meeting 6:30 p.m.
- September 6 – All Choir Parent Meeting 5:30 p.m. Auditorium
- September 6 – Show Choir Parent Meeting 7:15 p.m. Choir Room
- September 6 – Forensics Team Meeting 6:30 p.m.
- September 7 – Rohan Murphy Assembly 8:30 a.m.
- September 8 – Varsity Show Choir Performance – Embassy Suites United Way Campaign 7:50 a.m.
- September 9 – Blue Angels Assembly 8:30 a.m.
- September 13 – Novice Forensics Auditions 3:30 p.m.
- September 14 – Honors Convocation 8:15 a.m.
- September 14 – Novice Forensics Auditions 3:30 p.m.
- September 15 – Novice Forensics Auditions 3:30 p.m.
- September 16 – Blood Drive 8:30 a.m.
- September 19 – Parent Teacher Conference 4-7 p.m.
- Spirit Week Schedule as follows:
- Wednesday: Sports
- Thursday: Western
- Friday: LSW Sprit Day
- Voting for Homecoming King and Queen is now open for Seniors! Voting will close Wednesday, Aug. 31st at 11:59 p.m. – Cast your vote now!!
- Homecoming Dance Tickets sales begin Tuesday, August 30th after school! Students can purchase tickets after school on Tuesday. On Wednesday, August 31st they are available before school, during the noon hour, or after school. Thursday, September 1st tickets are for sale before school and during the noon hour! Tickets will be not be sold after lunch on Thursday. Tickets are $5 All fines will need to be paid before students will be eligible to purchase tickets for Homecoming. Remind student not to wait until the last minute to pay their fines! Fines are posted on the main office window and by the bookkeepers window. Please check and see if you have fines!
LUNCH FOR THURSDAY
- Turkey Sub, Sausage Pizza on a Whole Wheat Crust or Corn Puppies
SPORTS FOR THURSDAY
- Boys & Girls Varsity Cross Country – Papio South - 4 p.m.
- Boys & Girls JV Cross Country – Papio South – 4 p.m.
- Boys Reserve Tennis – East – 4 p.m.
- Boys Reserve Football – Pius – 5 p.m.
- Girls Varsity Softball – LSE – 5 p.m.
- Girls JV Softball – LSE- 5 p.m.
- Girls JV Volleyball – North Star – 5:30 p.m.
- Girls 9th Grade Volleyball – North Star – 5:30 p.m.
- Boys 9th Grade Football – LHS – 6:30 p.m.
- Girls Varsity Volleyball North Star – 6:30 p.m.
- Girls Reserve Volleyball North Star – 6:30 p.m.
- LATINO LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE & $1,000 SCHOLARSHIP!! Each year, the Heartland Latino Leadership Conference is proud to award 15 $1,000 scholarships to Latino students. To be eligible to apply the student must be of Latino/Hispanic heritage pursuing post-secondary education in the state of Nebraska and meet one of the following criteria:
- graduating high school senior during the 2011-2012 academic year,
- currently enrolled college undergraduate student or
- adult wishing to pursue a first undergraduate degree.
- Additionally, awardees must attend the Conference Luncheon on November 4, 2011 in Omaha. Applications can be obtained from Mrs. Volker in the Counseling Center and submitted by mail and postmarked by September 21, 2011 OR you can submit your application online at: www.latinoleadership.info and that must be received by September 23, 2011.
- Check out the Hawk Talk online for pictures an stories about Homecoming, Spirit Week and more!! The Hawk Talk staff plan to update this site daily during the school week.
- SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY for Qualified JRs & SRs: The United States Senate Youth Program is a unique educational experience for outstanding high school students interested in pursuing careers in public service. The 50th Anniversary program will be held in Washington, D.C., from March 3 - 10, 2012. Two student leaders from each state, the District of Columbia and the Department of Defense Education Activity will spend a week in Washington experiencing their national government in action. All transportation, hotel and meal expenses will be provided by The Hearst Foundations. In addition, each delegate will also be awarded a $5,000 College Scholarship for undergraduate studies, with encouragement to pursue coursework in history and political science. Any high school junior or senior student is eligible for the program provided he or she is currently serving in an elected or appointed capacity in any one of the following student government, civic or educational organizations:
- Student Body President, Vice President, Secretary or Treasurer
- Class President, Vice President, Secretary or Treasurer
- Student Council Representative
- Student representative elected or appointed (appointed by a panel, commission or board) to a district, regional or state-level civic and/or educational organization approved by the state selection administrator.
If interested in applying, please pick up an application form from Mrs. Volker in the counseling center and schedule a required qualifying exam by October 1, 2011.
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- Check out the EducationQuest new website! EducationQuest is has launched a new web site. Check out the sections for 11th – 12th Grade Students or, if you’re younger, for 9th and 10th Grade Students. You’ll find information and tools that will help you get on the path to college. You’ll find the new site at EducationQuest.org!
Juniors & Seniors September “To Do” List
Complete these college planning tasks during September:
- Plan to attend a College Fair - Sunday, October 23, 1-3 pm – Southeast Community College
- Before you attend a College Fair, register for a barcode at NebraskaCollegeFairs.org
- Seniors, register by September 9 for the October 1 SAT.
- Seniors, register by September 17 for October 22 ACT.
- Juniors, PSAT will be given at LSW on Saturday, October 15th. Listen for registration info.
For free help with college planning, contact EducationQuest Foundation:
- Lincoln 402-475-5222 OR 800-303-3745
The following colleges will have representatives here on the following dates:
- Wednesday, Sept. 7th – College of Hair Design 10 a.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 8th – Joseph College of Hair Design 10:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, Sept. 13th – UNL Food & Service Technology 10 a.m.
- Monday, Sept. 26th – Washington University 8:30 a.m.
- Monday, Sept. 26th – Macalester College 10:15 a.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 8th - University of Nebraska Omaha 9:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, Sept. 20th – Creighton University 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 21st – UNL – 10 a.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 21st – Drake University 9 a.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 22nd – Bryan LGH College of Health Sciences 9 a.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 28th – Chadron State College 10 a.m