September 14, 2011 Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- September 14 – Honors Convocation 8:15 a.m.
- September 14 – Novice Forensics Auditions 3:30 p.m.
- September 15 – Novice Forensics Auditions 3:30 p.m.
- September 16 – Blood Drive 8:30 a.m.
- September 19 – Parent Teacher Conference 4-7 p.m.
- September 27 – Student Picture re-takes
- September 28 – WGDE
- September 29 – WGDE
- September 29 – Big River Performance 7 p.m.
- September 30 – Big River Performance 7 p.m.
- October 2 – Big River Performance 2 p.m.
- October 5 – RGDE
- October 5 – Jazz/Band/Orchestra Concert 7 p.m.
- Math Club will meet on Tuesday mornings @ 7:15 a.m. in room B103. Please join us if you can!
LUNCH FOR WEDNESDAY
- Hamburger on a Whole Grain Bun, Footlong Hot Dog or Chicken Enchilada
SPORTS FOR WEDNESDAY
- Boys 9th Grade Football – East – 5 p.m.
- Girls Reserve Softball – Doubleheader – 5 p.m.
- Have you turned the last page in The Hunger Games? If so, you’ll want to join the One Book, One Hawk book club. Please stop by the media center and record your name on our easel. We’ll be contacting you soon for the schedule of events!
- Principal Advisory Council--Any students wishing to join Principal Advisory should stop by the main office and pick up an application. Principal Advisory Council is a small group of Southwest students, from each grade, working together to enhance and improve the Southwest High School community. The council meets with Mr. Slauson the first Tuesday of each month at 7:15 a.m. to work on ideas that directly affect the student body. Applications need to be turned in by September 16th. Student who were previous members need to notify Mrs. Dunn in the office if they wish to continue to be part of this group.
- Senior Athletic/Academic Recognition Opportunity: If you are a senior, participate in at least one sport and are a leader at LSW and in the community, then don't miss the opportunity to be recognized for everything that you do! Apply online by October 2, 2011, for the 2011 Wendy's High School Heisman! Visit www.wendysheisman.com for more information and to apply! The first 30,000 applicants will receive a $10 Wendy's Gift Card!
- LATINO LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE & $1,000 SCHOLARSHIP!! Each year, the Heartland Latino Leadership Conference is proud to award 15 $1,000 scholarships to Latino students. To be eligible to apply the student must be of Latino/Hispanic heritage pursuing post-secondary education in the state of Nebraska and meet one of the following criteria:
- graduating high school senior during the 2011-2012 academic year,
- currently enrolled college undergraduate student or
- adult wishing to pursue a first undergraduate degree.
- Additionally, awardees must attend the Conference Luncheon on November 4, 2011 in Omaha. Applications can be obtained from Mrs. Volker in the Counseling Center and submitted by mail and postmarked by September 21, 2011 OR you can submit your application online at: www.latinoleadership.info and that must be received by September 23, 2011.
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- Check out the EducationQuest new website! EducationQuest is has launched a new web site. Check out the sections for 11th – 12th Grade Students or, if you’re younger, for 9th and 10th Grade Students. You’ll find information and tools that will help you get on the path to college. You’ll find the new site at EducationQuest.org!
Juniors & Seniors September “To Do” List
Complete these college planning tasks during September:
- Plan to attend a College Fair - Sunday, October 23, 1-3 pm – Southeast Community College
- Before you attend a College Fair, register for a barcode at NebraskaCollegeFairs.org
- Seniors, register by September 9 for the October 1 SAT.
- Seniors, register by September 17 for October 22 ACT.
- Juniors, PSAT will be given at LSW on Saturday, October 15th. Listen for registration info.
For free help with college planning, contact EducationQuest Foundation:
- Lincoln 402-475-5222 OR 800-303-3745
The following colleges will have representatives here on the following dates:
- Monday, Sept. 26th – Washington University 8:30 a.m.
- Monday, Sept. 26th – Macalester College 10:15 a.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 8th - University of Nebraska Omaha 9:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, Sept. 20th – Creighton University 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 21st – UNL – 10 a.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 21st – Drake University 9 a.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 22nd – Bryan LGH College of Health Sciences 9 a.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 28th – Chadron State College 10 a.m