September 22, 2011 Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- September 27 – Student Picture re-takes
- September 28 – WGDE
- September 29 – WGDE
- September 29 – Big River Performance 7 p.m.
- September 30 – Big River Performance 7 p.m.
- October 2 – Big River Performance 2 p.m.
- October 5 – RGDE
- October 5 – Jazz/Band/Orchestra Concert 7 p.m.
- October 6 – WGDE
- October 11 – 9th Grade Screening
- October 13 – Finals
- October 13 – Finals
- October 17 – Fall Break No School
- October 18 –Start of Term 2
- LSW 10th Anniversary T-Shirts are in!! They can be picked up in the Main Office from 7:30- 4 p.m.!!
- Student retakes and Staff pictures are next Tuesday! Students who ordered pictures and need to have them re-taken need to return their picture packet the day of re-takes. New students that started after August 17 will need to have their picture taken also for the year Pictures will be taken in the auditorium and an announcement will be made as to when to report.
LUNCH FOR THURSDAY
- Creamed Turkey w/ Whole Wheat Roll, Breaded Beef Sticks w/ Whole Wheat Roll or Hamburger on Whole Wheat Crust
SPORTS FOR THURSDAY
- Girls Varsity Golf – Spartan Invite – 8:30 a.m.
- Boys Varsity Tennis – Prep Quad – 3:30 p.m.
- Boys Reserve Tennis – North Star – 4 p.m.
- Boys 9th Grade Football – Norfolk – 5 p.m.
- Girls JV Softball – Norris – 5 p.m.
- Girls 9th Grade Volleyball – LHS Triangular – 5 p.m.
- Yearbooks will be sold next week at Parent/Teacher conferences on Monday, Sept. 19 as well as Wednesday thru Friday before and after school. Cost is $55.
- Junior Family meeting at LSW on September 20th at 6:30 PM in the Auditorium. There will be information on planning for after high school, college visitations, college admissions tests, and financial aid. There will also be a meeting for parents of gifted juniors that will be held in the A118 Forum at the conclusion of the Junior Family meeting.
- Senior Athletic/Academic Recognition Opportunity: If you are a senior, participate in at least one sport and are a leader at LSW and in the community, then don't miss the opportunity to be recognized for everything that you do! Apply online by October 2, 2011, for the 2011 Wendy's High School Heisman! Visit www.wendysheisman.com for more information and to apply! The first 30,000 applicants will receive a $10 Wendy's Gift Card!
- LATINO LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE & $1,000 SCHOLARSHIP!! Each year, the Heartland Latino Leadership Conference is proud to award 15 $1,000 scholarships to Latino students. To be eligible to apply the student must be of Latino/Hispanic heritage pursuing post-secondary education in the state of Nebraska and meet one of the following criteria:
- graduating high school senior during the 2011-2012 academic year,
- currently enrolled college undergraduate student or
- adult wishing to pursue a first undergraduate degree.
- Additionally, awardees must attend the Conference Luncheon on November 4, 2011 in Omaha. Applications can be obtained from Mrs. Volker in the Counseling Center and submitted by mail and postmarked by September 21, 2011 OR you can submit your application online at: www.latinoleadership.info and that must be received by September 23, 2011.
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
- Check out the EducationQuest new website! EducationQuest is has launched a new web site. Check out the sections for 11th – 12th Grade Students or, if you’re younger, for 9th and 10th Grade Students. You’ll find information and tools that will help you get on the path to college. You’ll find the new site at EducationQuest.org!
Juniors & Seniors September “To Do” List
Complete these college planning tasks during September:
- Plan to attend a College Fair - Sunday, October 23, 1-3 pm – Southeast Community College
- Before you attend a College Fair, register for a barcode at NebraskaCollegeFairs.org
- Seniors, register by September 17 for October 22 ACT.
- Juniors, PSAT will be given at LSW on Saturday, October 15th. Listen for registration info.
For free help with college planning, contact EducationQuest Foundation:
- Lincoln 402-475-5222 OR 800-303-3745
The following colleges will have representatives here on the following dates:
- Wednesday, Sept. 21st – UNL – 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 21st – Drake University 9 a.m.
- Monday, Sept. 26th – Washington University 8:30 a.m.
- Monday, Sept. 26th – Macalester College 10:15 a.m.
- Tuesday, Sept. 27th – Colorado Christian University – 9 a.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 8th - University of Nebraska Omaha 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 22nd – Bryan LGH College of Health Sciences 9 a.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 22nd - Nebraska Christian College – 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, Sept. 27th – North Central University – 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 28th – Chadron State College 10 a.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 28th – Notre Dame – 9 a.m.