October 5, 2011 Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- October 5 – RGDE
- October 5 – Jostens Representative on campus during lunch hours
- October 6 – Jostens Representative on campus during lunch hours
- October 5 – Jazz/Band/Orchestra Concert 7 p.m.
- October 6 – WGDE
- October 11 – 9th Grade Screening
- October 12 – Choir Concert 6:30 p.m.
- October 13 – Finals
- October 13 – Girls Golf Banquet – 6 p.m.
- October 14 – Finals
- October 15 – Fall Craft Show 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- October 17 – Fall Break No School
- October 18 –Start of Term 2
- October 22 – ACT Test
- October 25 – Softball Banquet – 5:30 p.m.
- October 30 – Show Choir Concert 4 p.m.
- November 2 – Jostens Representative on campus during lunch hours
- November 3 – Jostens Representative on campus during lunch hours
- Project Homeless Connect Lincoln will be held onWednesday Oct. 5th 10AM to 3PM at Pershing Auditorium. One day, one stop, to get services you need for free. Services for Housing Assistance, Employment and Education, Health Services, Dental and Vision Services, Mental Health Services, Food Assistance, Social Services, Legal Assistance, Substance Abuse Services, Bike repair, Income tax preparation, Veterans services and much more. For volunteer sign-up please visit www.lincolnhomelesscoalition.org
- Want to try something new? Ready for a chance of pace? How about going to school at a real zoo? The Science Focus Program (Zoo School) may be right for you! We offer LPS math, English, social studies, and science classes, as well as some courses unique to the Zoo School, including opportunities for field studies at the zoo, with UNL, and other agencies. Student organized clubs are also available: Key Club, Roots & Shoots, Science Olympiad, and Amnesty International. This focus program is open to 9th -12th grade students. Our next informational night will be on Tuesday, October 11 at either 6-7 p.m. or 7-8 p.m. at the Lincoln Children’s Zoo, 1222 S. 27th. Enter the zoo through the administration building. Applications are available on our website – www.zoo.lps.org. For further information call the zoo school office, 402-436-1780.
- Just a reminder that 9th grade health screening will take place on Tuesday, October 11th in the wrestling gym (D103). This screening is mandated by Nebraska state law. Students, please wear your glasses/contacts if you have them. Teachers, please send students to D103 at their designated times in order to create a smooth flow of about 500 students. We have many volunteers in the building helping to make this undertaking a success. Thanks for your cooperation in this process. 9th grade students should come to the wrestling gym at the following intervals as they are called (alphabetical by last name):
A-B 8:15 - 8:52am
C-F 8:53 - 9:30am
G-J 9:36 - 10:13am
K-M 10:14 - 10:51am
N-R 12:25 - 12:42pm
S-T 12:48 - 1:25pm
U-Z 1:26 - 2:03pm
- There will be a mandatory meeting for all 12 Mid-Year Graduates at 10:30 am on Tuesday, October 4th in the Counseling Center Conference Room. Students required to attend this meeting will receive a special white pass during blocks 1 or 2.
- STUDENT DIRECTORIES ARE IN!!! If you ordered one please pick it up in the Main Office!
LUNCH FOR WEDNESDAY
- French Toast Sticks with Sausage Links, Hamburger Pizza on Whole Wheat Crust or Chicken and Noodles
SPORTS FOR WEDNESDAY
- Girls JV Golf – LPS Open - 1 p.m.
- Girls JV Softball – LPS Open – 4 p.m.
- Boys Varsity Tennis – LHS – 4 p.m.
- Boys JV Tennis – LHS – 4 p.m.
- Boys Reserve Tennis – LHS – 4 p.m.
- Girls Reserve Volleyball – Triangular – 5 p.m.
- Attention all Seniors!!! Jostens is our new carrier for all your graduation supplies. Please contact them at 402-328-2604 or on their website lincolngraduation.com with any questions!
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
The October “To Do” List - Complete these tasks during October to stay on the right college-planning track.
Juniors and Seniors:
___ Attend the College Fair in your area...October 23 @ SCC 1-3pm
___ Schedule campus visits.
___ Narrow your college choices and be aware of application deadlines and criteria.
___ Register by October 7 for the November 5 SAT.
___ Register by November 8 for the December 3 SAT.
___ Register by November 4 for the December 10 ACT.
For free help with college planning, contact EducationQuest Foundation:
Check out the EducationQuest new website! EducationQuest is has launched a new web site. Check out the sections for 11th – 12th Grade Students or, if you’re younger, for 9th and 10th Grade Students. You’ll findinformation and tools that will help you get on the path to college. You’ll find the new site at EducationQuest.org!
The following colleges will have representatives here on the following dates:
- Tuesday, Oct. 4th – Concordia University – 1 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 7th – Clarkson College – 1 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 10th – Northwest Missouri State University – 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 11th – Iowa Western Community College – 1 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 21st – University of Nebraska Honors – 8:15 a.m.
- Friday, Oct. 21st – Central Community College – 9 a.m.
- Friday, Oct. 21st – University of Kansas – 10:15 a.m.
- Monday, Oct. 24th – University of Iowa – 8:30 a.m.
- Monday, Oct. 24th – Hamline – 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 25th – University of Southern California – 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 25th – Cornell College
- Wednesday, Oct. 26th – Peru State 10 a.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 27th – Midland University – 9 a.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 27th – Dartmouth – 10 a.m.
- Friday, Oct. 28th – United State Naval Academy – 1 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 28th – SCC (Milford, Beatrice, Lincoln) 1 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 31 – St. Catherine University – 9 a.m.
- Monday, Oct. 31st – Iowa State – 10 a.m.