October 12, 2011 Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- October 12 – Choir Concert 6:30 p.m.
- October 13 – Finals - Blocks 1 and 2
- October 13 – Girls Golf Banquet – 6 p.m.
- October 14 – Finals Blocks 3 and 4
- October 15 – Fall Craft Show 9 a.m.-4 p.m. $1 at the door
- October 17 – Fall Break No School
- October 18 –Start of Term 2
- October 22 – ACT Test
- October 25 – Softball Banquet – 5:30 p.m.
- October 30 – Show Choir Concert 4 p.m.
- November 2 – Jostens Representative on campus during lunch hours
- November 3 – Jostens Representative on campus during lunch hours
- November 9 – NHS Inductions - 8 a.m.
- November 9 – Swim Parent Meeting – 5:30 p.m.
- November 10 – Theatre Booster Parent Meeting – 7 p.m.
- November 11 – Blood Drive
- November 17 – Sophomore Meeting – 6:30 p.m.
- November 21 – Volleyball Banquet – 6 p.m.
- November 22 – Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7 p.m.
- November 23 – Football Banquet – 6:30 p.m.
- November 24 – Thanksgiving Break – NO SCHOOL
- November 25 – Thanksgiving Break – NO SCHOOL
- November 30 – Jazz Band/Show Choir Concert – 7 p.m.
- Adams Elementary School Fun Night. We are seeking volunteers to help with the games and hand out candy on Friday October 28th. We have 2 shifts available or a student can work the whole thing. We are also offering dinner to all volunteers. The shifts are 4:45pm-6:30 or 6:25pm to 8:15pm. To make our event successful we are in need of about 85-100 volunteers from within our community! If students would like to help, please have them call me at 402-326-1226 by Wednesday Oct 19th. They can also email me at email@example.com
- If any student is interest in attending UNL Math Day on Thursday, November 17th please contact Mr. DeVries in B117 by this Friday, October 14th.
- Term 2 schedules will be handed out TODAY during your 2nd block class!! NO additional schedules will be ran so you need to bring these back after Fall Break!
LUNCH FOR WEDNESDAY
- Hamburger on Whole Grain Bun, Foot long Hot Dog or Chicken Enchilada
SPORTS FOR WEDNESDAY
- Girls Varsity Softball –State Tournament – 12:30 p.m.
- One Book One Hawk Begins October 12! Please join us in the media center at 3:15 on Wednesday, October 12, for the first meeting of “One Book, One Hawk.” Our agenda will consist of a short trivia quiz on The Hunger Games, as well as a discussion of the characters. Those attending, as well as those attempting the quiz, will have their names entered into a drawing for the final book in this trilogy. We will also discuss upcoming book club events.
- AUDITIONS materials for the winter comedy A CHRISTMAS STORY are now available at the Box Office! CREW FORMS need to be turned in NO LATER than 7pm on Oct. 19th. AUDTIONS WILL BE HELD on Tuesday, Oct. 18 & Weds. Oct. 19th at 7:00 p.m. Students need to attend only one audition session.
- Want to try something new? Ready for a change of pace? How about going to school at a real zoo? The Science Focus Program (Zoo School) may be right for you! We offer LPS math, English, social studies, and science classes, as well as some courses unique to the Zoo School, including opportunities for field studies at the zoo, with UNL, and other agencies. Student organized clubs are also available: Key Club, Roots & Shoots, Science Olympiad, and Amnesty International. This focus program is open to 9th -12th grade students. Our next informational night will be on Tuesday, October 11 at either 6-7 p.m. or 7-8 p.m. at the Lincoln Children’s Zoo, 1222 S. 27th. Enter the zoo through the administration building. Applications are available on our website – www.zoo.lps.org. For further information call the zoo school office, 402-436-1780.
- Just a reminder that 9th grade health screening will take place on Tuesday, October 11th in the wrestling gym (D103). This screening is mandated by Nebraska state law. Students, please wear your glasses/contacts if you have them. Teachers, please send students to D103 at their designated times in order to create a smooth flow of about 500 students. We have many volunteers in the building helping to make this undertaking a success. Thanks for your cooperation in this process. 9th grade students should come to the wrestling gym at the following intervals as they are called (alphabetical by last name):
A-B 8:15 - 8:52am
C-F 8:53 - 9:30am
G-J 9:36 - 10:13am
K-M 10:14 - 10:51am
N-R 12:25 - 12:42pm
S-T 12:48 - 1:25pm
U-Z 1:26 - 2:03pm
- STUDENT DIRECTORIES ARE IN!!! If you ordered one please pick it up in the Main Office!
- Attention all Seniors!!! Jostens is our new carrier for all your graduation supplies. Please contact them at 402-328-2604 or on their website lincolngraduation.com with any questions!
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
The October “To Do” List
Complete these tasks during October to stay on the right college-planning track.
Juniors and Seniors:
___ Attend the College Fair in your area...October 23 @ SCC 1-3pm
___ Schedule campus visits.
___ Narrow your college choices and be aware of application deadlines and criteria.
___ Register by October 7 for the November 5 SAT.
___ Register by November 8 for the December 3 SAT.
___ Register by November 4 for the December 10 ACT.
For free help with college planning, contact EducationQuest Foundation: 402-475-5222
The following colleges will have representatives here on the following dates:
- Monday, Oct. 10th – Northwest Missouri State University – 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 11th – Iowa Western Community College – 1 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 21st – University of Nebraska Honors – 8:15 a.m.
- Friday, Oct. 21st – Central Community College – 9 a.m.
- Friday, Oct. 21st – University of Kansas – 10:15 a.m.
- Monday, Oct. 24th – University of Iowa – 8:30 a.m.
- Monday, Oct. 24th – Hamline – 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 25th – University of Southern California – 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 25th – Cornell College
- Wednesday, Oct. 26th – Peru State 10 a.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 27th – Midland University – 9 a.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 27th – Dartmouth – 10 a.m.
- Friday, Oct. 28th – United State Naval Academy – 1 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 28th – SCC (Milford, Beatrice, Lincoln) 1 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 31 – St. Catherine University – 9 a.m.
- Monday, Oct. 31st – Iowa State – 10 a.m.