October 26, 2011 Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- October 28 – Class Meetings
- October 30 – Show Choir Concert 4 p.m.
- November 2 – Jostens Representative on campus during lunch hours
- November 3 – Jostens Representative on campus during lunch hours
- November 3 – Late start for 9th, 11th, and 12th grade students
- November 3 – PLAN test for all 10th grade students. Test begins at 8:15.
- November 9 – NHS Inductions - 8 a.m.
- November 9 – Swim Parent Meeting – 5:30 p.m.
- November 10 – Theatre Booster Parent Meeting – 7 p.m.
- November 11 – Blood Drive
- November 12 – Science Olympiad – Southland Invite
- November 17 – Sophomore Meeting – 6:30 p.m.
- November 21 – Volleyball Banquet – 6 p.m.
- November 22 – Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7 p.m.
- November 23 – Football Banquet – 6:30 p.m.
- November 24 – Thanksgiving Break – NO SCHOOL
- November 25 – Thanksgiving Break – NO SCHOOL
- November 30 – Jazz Band/Show Choir Concert – 7 p.m.
- Attention Seniors. Your senior picture for the yearbook is due this Friday, Oct. 28. A link on the LSW home page takes you to the upload feature to submit your photo. To check to see if yearbook has received your photo yet, go to Headlines on the home page, and click on LSW Journalism (newspaper/yearbook). You will find a list of senior pictures now in. This list will be updated daily, so check back later if you don't see your picture yet. If you don't submit a photo, yearbook will use your ID photo, as available.
- Students interested in mobile app development, computer game development, digital video or other computer classes are invited to attend informational meetings at the Information Technology Focus Program on Tuesday, November 1, beginning at 7 p.m. Information concerning available computer classes as well as the registration process for second semester or next year will be provided. For those unable to attend the first meeting, a repeat session will be held Thursday, November 3, at 7 p.m. Both meetings will be held at the ITFP, located on the fourth floor of the SCC Entrepreneurship Center, 285 S. 68th St. Pl Parents and guardians are encouraged to attend. Call 436-1776 or visit the web site at ‘itfp.lps.org’ for more information.
- The One Book One Hawk--Hunger Games—book club will meet Wednesday, Oct. 26, at 3:15 in the media center. Winner of the drawing will be announced.
- The Profile in Courage Essay Contest invites United States high school students in grades nine through twelve to consider the concept of political courage by writing an essay on a U.S. elected official who has chosen to do what is right, rather than what is expedient. The winner of the competitive annual contest is awarded a $10,000 prize and is invited to accept the award at the Profile in Courage Award ceremony hosted each May by Caroline Kennedy at the Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston. Essay submissions for the 2012 contest will be accepted starting September 1, 2011. The contest deadline is Saturday, January 7, 2012. For complete guidelines visit the Profile in Courage Essay contest at www.jfklibrary.org
- The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards program is the United States' largest youth recognition program based exclusively on volunteer community service. The program was created in 1995 by Prudential in partnership with the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) to honor middle level and high school students for outstanding service to others at the local, state, and national level. Student in grades 9 - 12 may submit a completed application to a school principal or the head of an officially designated local organization by November 1. The application must describe an individual's community service activity or an individual's significant leadership in a group activity that has taken place during the previous year. For application details visit http://spirit.prudential.com
LUNCH FOR WEDNESDAY
- Cheese Pizza on Whole Wheat Crust, Turkey Sub or Orange Chicken on Brown Rice
SPORTS FOR WEDNESDAY
- JV Volleyball – LPS Championship – 4:30 p.m.
- Are you a young woman between the ages of 14 and 17 who volunteers in your community or school?
Who sees challenges instead of obstacles? Hope instead of despair? If you are a young woman
who believes in the power of volunteer action, then you may be eligible to win a Soroptimist Violet
Richardson Award. The award is given to a student that has been dedicated to volunteer services in our community. The deadline for the application is December 15, 2011. See Mr Ernst in C101 for an application.
- Students interested in LSW Silverhawk Bowling should email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- STUDENT DIRECTORIES ARE IN!!! If you ordered one please pick it up in the Main Office!
- Attention all Seniors!!! Jostens is our new carrier for all your graduation supplies. Please contact them at 402-328-2604 or on their website lincolngraduation.com with any questions!
FROM THE COUNSELING CENTER:
The October “To Do” List - Complete these tasks during October to stay on the right college-planning track.
Juniors and Seniors:
___ Attend the College Fair in your area...October 23 @ SCC 1-3pm
___ Schedule campus visits.
___ Narrow your college choices and be aware of application deadlines and criteria.
___ Register by October 7 for the November 5 SAT.
___ Register by November 8 for the December 3 SAT.
___ Register by November 4 for the December 10 ACT.
For free help with college planning, contact EducationQuest Foundation
The following colleges will have representatives here on the following dates:
- Tuesday, Oct. 25th – University of Southern California – 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 25th – Cornell College
- Wednesday, Oct. 26th – Peru State 10 a.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 27th – Midland University – 9 a.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 27th – Dartmouth – 10 a.m.
- Friday, Oct. 28th – United State Naval Academy – 1 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 28th – SCC (Milford, Beatrice, Lincoln) 1 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 31 – St. Catherine University – 9 a.m.
- Monday, Oct. 31st – Iowa State – 10 a.m.