January 30, 2012 Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- January 30 – Forensics Meeting 3:15 p.m.
- January 30 – Spring Play Auditions – 7 p.m.
- January 31 – Spring Play Auditions – 7 p.m.
- February 1 – State Thespian Meeting – 4:30 p.m.
- February 2 – Pep Rally – 9:30 a.m.
- February 4 – “Showdown” – LSW Show Choir Competition
- February 6 – Forensics Meeting – 3:15 p.m.
- February 9 – Theatre Booster Parent Meeting – 7 p.m.
- February 11 – Show Choir Competition – Benton, Van Horn, IA
- February 13 – Forensics Meeting – 3:15 p.m.
- February 13 – Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7 p.m.
- February 28 - MANDATORY Parent/Dancer Meeting (A118 Forum) 7:15 am & 6:00 pm
LUNCH FOR MONDAY
- Asian Teriyaki Chicken on Brown Rice, BBQ Riblette on Whole Grain Bun or Tater Tot Casserole
SPORTS FOR MONDAY
- Boys Reserve Basketball – East – 5:45 p.m.
- Girls Freshman Basketball – East – 5:45 p.m.
- Boys Freshman Basketball – East – 7:30 p.m.
- Girls Reserve Basketball – East – 7:30 p.m.
- Attention High-Achieving Female Sophomores or Juniors - The Joyce Ivy Foundation provides scholarships to help young women from Nebraska in their pursuit of higher education opportunities at leading academic institutions (Ivy League or other excellent colleges). Applications for Summer 2012 can be submitted NOW online at http://www.joyceivyfoundation.org.
In 2012, 56 Joyce Ivy Foundation Summer Scholars received scholarships for summer programs at some of the best universities in the nation - Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Penn, Stanford and Yale. For summer 2012, the Joyce Ivy Foundation plans to increase the number of full and partial scholarships to be awarded for Pre-College Summer Programs. These scholarships cover the cost of tuition, room and board, as well as related expenses such as books, fees, and travel to and from campus. While the deadline is March 19, 2012, please apply early, as pre-college financial aid budgets tend to be consumed relatively early in the admissions cycle. We hope that you will visit http://www.joyceivyfoundation.org for more information and to watch the video featuring recent Joyce Ivy Summer Scholars.
- Bright Lights is a summer enrichment program for kids in Lincoln and the surrounding areas, and we are in our 25th year. We have about 125 classes, including day long camps.
Most classes are a1/2 days for a week. Our classes this year run June 4-8, June 18-22 and July 9-13. We usually have a need for about 250 assistants. This is a great opportunity for young people to work with passionate, experienced teachers in a wide variety of subject areas. Classes run the range from science and technology to the arts, writing and outdoor areas like fishing. We have a Harry Potter camp as well as Architecture and Engineering camp located on campus. We have an international program that involves 60 middle level students coming from Japan. This is the 10th year of this program. We are looking for ambitious, interested students who could assist teachers in classes. If students are looking for community service hours or GOPO hours, they will earn 20 hr for the week. We will have posters in the counseling offices of the schools and available cards for students to pick up. Also information may come through school announcements. **Applications are open Feb.13th and ending in March.**
- Junior Boys: The 2012 session of Cornhusker Boys State, sponsored by the Nebraska American Legion, will be held June 3-9, 2012 on the City Campus of the University of Nebraska Lincoln. Boys State delegates will register at12:30 on Sunday, June 3 and will end at 12 noon on Saturday, June 9. Delegates will not be excused from any part of the Boys State Session in order to participate in other activity during the week or to take the ACT. All interested juniors Boys fill out the Declaration of Interest and Application Resume forms that are available in the Counseling Center and return them to Mr. Ernst by February 4th, 2012.
- Emeralds Tryout Information:
Tuesday, February 28th: 7:15 am & 6:00 pm--MANDATORY Parent/Dancer Meeting (A118 Forum)
Tuesday, March 27th: 3:30 pm—Information Sheets due
Tuesday, April 3rd: 3:30-6:30 pm (approximately) --Emerald Interviews
Wednesday, April 4th: 3:30-7:30 pm – Practice Session/Mock Auditions (Main Gym)
Thursday, April 5th: 3:30-7:00 pm (approximately) – Auditions (Main Gym)
Wednesday, April 11th: 3:30-4:30 pm Uniform Fitting (D023 PE Classroom)
- Audition Materials are NOW available for CRAZY FOR YOU at the Theatre Box Office. $1 is needed to cover the duplication costs of an cast audition packet. Auditions will be held, Monday, Jan. 30 & Tues., Jan. 31 at 7:00 p.m. Students auditioning for the cast need to come to attend only one session. CREW FORMS ARE DUE NO LATER THAN Jan. 31 at 7p.m. to be considered for a crew for this show.
- ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCE Of Silver Hawk Theatre - the Student Directed -
Performance dates are Jan. 25,26,27, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. in the Black Box Theatre. $5 FREE WILL Donation -Reserved Tickets on sale now! SEATING IS LIMITED. Call the Box Office at 402-436-1335. Proceeds from these performances given to the Silver Hawk Theatre Festival Fund.
- In honor of Nebraska Teacher Recognition Day – Tuesday, March 6 – Lincoln Public Schools and KFOR/KFRX Radio collaborate to thank our educators with the annual Thank You Teacher contest. Anyone who lives in Lincoln/Lancaster County can nominate a teacher. In addition to a written description, explaining why a teacher made a difference in your life, entries should include the teacher’s name, grade level and school (or contact information), as well as the nominator’s name, address and phone number. Nominations should be postmarked or sent by Friday, Feb. 24th and mailed to: hank You Teacher, Communications, LPS District Offices, 3801 S. 14th St.: Lincoln, NE 68502. ** Entry forms can also be found on the LPS website and you can submit nominations online at: http://lps.org/go/recognize. For more information contact Mary Kay Roth, 436-1609, email@example.com.
- Online registration for selecting next year's classes will be available from January 9th through February 20th. Please check the LSW Home Page for the LSW Planning Guide, registration power points for each grade level, and access to the online registration site.
For students and families who would like to receive assistance with the registration process, sessions will be held at the dates/times listed below. Please check in at the Media Center Computer Lab.
Current freshmen * Tuesday, January 31st * 2:03 - 3:03 (PLC Time)
Current 8th graders * Tuesday, February 7th & Thursday, February 9th * 3:30 - 6:30
- Attention all Seniors!!! Jostens is our new carrier for all your graduation supplies. Please contact them at 402-328-2604 or on their website lincolngraduation.com with any questions!
COLLEGE PLANNING - February “To Do” List
Complete these tasks during February to stay on the right college planning track.
___ Apply for a Department of Education PIN (one for you and one for a parent) at pin.ed.gov.
___ Complete student and parent 2011 tax returns.
___ Complete the FAFSA at fafsa.gov.
___ Continue to apply for scholarships.
___ Register by February 10 for the March 10 SAT.
___ All juniors will take the ACT on April 24th at LSW - free of charge - no need to register for an April test.