February 16, 2012 Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- February 16 – DECA Faculty Basketball Game – 7:30 p.m.
- February 20 – Jazz Band Concert – 7 p.m.
- February 23 – Blood Drive
- February 24 – Blood Drive
- February 25 – Science Olympiad Regional - Omaha
- February 28 - MANDATORY Parent/Dancer Meeting (A118 Forum) 7:15 am & 6:00 pm
- February 28 – Dance Tryout Information Meeting – 7:15 a.m. & 6 p.m.
- February 29 – WGDE Testing
- March 1 – Girls State Basketball – NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
- March 5 – Girls Basketball Banquet – 6 p.m.
- March 5 – Band/Orchestra Concert – 7 p.m.
- March 7 – Swimming/Diving Banquet – 6 p.m.
- March 8 – FINALS
- March 8 – Theatre Booster parent meeting – 7 p.m.
- March 9 – FINALS
- March 10 – Spring Sport Pictures
- March 28 – Cheer Tryout Information Meeting – Commons – 7 – 8 p.m.
- LSW Senior Rebecca Denell has been awarded the prestigious Lincoln Mayor's Artistic Achievement Award. This award recognizes not just artistic ability, but also .how a student uses that ability to help causes in our city community.
Please check the list of 2012 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by May 4, if there are ANY changes.
- LSW Cheer/ Dance Tryout Information:
Dance Tryout Info Meeting: Feb. 28th 7:15AM and 6:00PM
Dance Tryouts: April 3-5, 3:15-7:30
Dance Uniform Fitting: April 11th, 3:30-PE Classroom
Cheer Tryout Info Meeting: March 28th, Common, 7:00-8:00.
Cheer Tryouts: April 9-12, 6:00-8:00. April 13th, 4:00-??
LUNCH FOR THURSDAY
- Corn Puppies, Chili w/ While Wheat Cinnamon Roll or Chili Potato w/ Whole Wheat Cinnamon Roll
SPORTS FOR THURSDAY
- State Wrestling – 4:30 p.m.
- Reserve Boys Basketball Championship – 5:45 p.m.
- Reserve Girls Basketball Championship – 5:45 p.m.
- All boys, not out for a winter sport, who are interested in trying out for baseball must attend a sign up meeting on Monday, February 20th in Forum A118 at 3:15. If you are unable to attend the meeting please see Coach Kaltenberger or Coach Vernon in the coaches office- D016 or room A100.
- Yearbooks will be on sale next week before school (except Monday) and after school (except Tuesday) in the front hall. They will also be sold at Parent Teacher Conferences. Cost is now $60. Be sure to reserve your book now.
- Any student wanting to participate in the American Mathematics Contest during 4th block on Wednesday February 22nd should contact their math teacher or Mr. DeVries in B117 TPC as soon as possible.
- Prom Closet Project is open to any young lady for their prom or special event. Only $20 per gown. All proceeds benefit The Foster Care Closet. The Prom Closet is open the first 2 weekends of March and April. Call Leigh at 402 617-0667 for details.
- Bright Lights' classroom assistants play a valuable role in the summer program; their work in the classroom helps ensure a successful week. The assistants also benefit from the experience. They gain direct exposure to the teaching career, work directly with experts in the field and have a unique opportunity to try their hand in the classroom.
Assistants are trained during a two hour session in May. Volunteers will log 20 hours during one week which will count for complete GOPO hours or other community hours. Class are held the weeks of June 4-8, June 18th - 22, and July 9-13. Applications will be accepted online beginning February 13th - March 16th at www.brightlights.org. For questions contact Barb Highstreet at 402-420-1115 ext. 49.
- ATTENTION Theatre Seniors: Scholarship Application Forms are now available for the Silver Hawk Theatre Scholarship. Forms can be picked up in the counseling center or Black Box classroom. Applications must be returned to Mr. Bob NO LATER than March 9. The scholarship will be awarded at the Theatre Banquet in May.
- Third time’s a charm, so get ready to save even more lives the Silver Hawk way with the Nebraska Community Blood Bank (NCBB). So far this year, over 200 Lincoln Southwest (LSW) blood donors have rolled up their sleeves to help patients across southeast Nebraska while helping raise scholarship dollars for their school through the NCBB Educational Scholarship Program. There is no substitute for a Silver Hawk blood donor so show your school spirit with an I Bleed green donation!
“We’ve seen an increase in need this year for all blood types and our high schools play a vital role in helping provide the life-saving blood products that are needed each day across the area,” noted NCBB’s CEO, Phyllis Ericson. “Our high school blood drive program is one of the best in the country because of schools like Southwest,” she added.
Special edition I Bleed Silver Hawk t-shirts will continue to be given to everyone the first time they register to donate at a LSW blood drive this school year. Now is the time to reserve your seat at the Thursday, February 23 & Friday, February 24 LSW blood drive. The blood drive will run 8:30am to 3:00pm both days in the wrestling room. To schedule an appointment, contact Mark Watt at 402-436-1306. Visit www.ncbb.org for more information on blood donation and follow us on Facebook.
- Attention High-Achieving Female Sophomores or Juniors - The Joyce Ivy Foundation provides scholarships to help young women from Nebraska in their pursuit of higher education opportunities at leading academic institutions (Ivy League or other excellent colleges). Applications for Summer 2012 can be submitted NOW online at http://www.joyceivyfoundation.org.
In 2012, 56 Joyce Ivy Foundation Summer Scholars received scholarships for summer programs at some of the best universities in the nation - Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Penn, Stanford and Yale. For summer 2012, the Joyce Ivy Foundation plans to increase the number of full and partial scholarships to be awarded for Pre-College Summer Programs. These scholarships cover the cost of tuition, room and board, as well as related expenses such as books, fees, and travel to and from campus. While the deadline is March 19, 2012, please apply early, as pre-college financial aid budgets tend to be consumed relatively early in the admissions cycle. We hope that you will visit http://www.joyceivyfoundation.org for more information and to watch the video featuring recent Joyce Ivy Summer Scholars.
- Emeralds Tryout Information:
- Tuesday, February 28th: 7:15 am & 6:00 pm--MANDATORY Parent/Dancer Meeting (A118 Forum)
- Tuesday, March 27th: 3:30 pm—Information Sheets due
- Tuesday, April 3rd: 3:30-6:30 pm (approximately) --Emerald Interviews
- Wednesday, April 4th: 3:30-7:30 pm – Practice Session/Mock Auditions (Main Gym)
- Thursday, April 5th: 3:30-7:00 pm (approximately) – Auditions (Main Gym)
- Wednesday, April 11th: 3:30-4:30 pm Uniform Fitting (D023 PE Classroom)
- In honor of Nebraska Teacher Recognition Day – Tuesday, March 6 – Lincoln Public Schools and KFOR/KFRX Radio collaborate to thank our educators with the annual Thank You Teacher contest. Anyone who lives in Lincoln/Lancaster County can nominate a teacher. In addition to a written description, explaining why a teacher made a difference in your life, entries should include the teacher’s name, grade level and school (or contact information), as well as the nominator’s name, address and phone number. Nominations should be postmarked or sent by Friday, Feb. 24th and mailed to: hank You Teacher, Communications, LPS District Offices, 3801 S. 14th St.: Lincoln, NE 68502. ** Entry forms can also be found on the LPS website and you can submit nominations online at: http://lps.org/go/recognize. For more information contact Mary Kay Roth, 436-1609, email@example.com.
- Online registration for selecting next year's classes will be available from January 9th through February 20th. Please check the LSW Home Page for the LSW Planning Guide, registration power points for each grade level, and access to the online registration site
- Attention all Seniors!!! Jostens is our new carrier for all your graduation supplies. Please contact them at 402-328-2604 or on their website lincolngraduation.com with any questions!
COLLEGE PLANNING - February “To Do” List
Complete these tasks during February to stay on the right college planning track.
___ Apply for a Department of Education PIN (one for you and one for a parent) at pin.ed.gov.
___ Complete student and parent 2011 tax returns.
___ Complete the FAFSA at fafsa.gov.
___ Continue to apply for scholarships.
___ Register by February 10 for the March 10 SAT.
___ All juniors will take the ACT on April 24th at LSW - free of charge - no need to register for an April test.
- Thursday, February 23 – College of Hair Design 2:15 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 29th – Wayne State College 9 a.m.