February 29, 2012 Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- February 29 – WGDE Testing
- March 1 – Girls State Basketball – NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
- March 5 – Girls Basketball Banquet – 6 p.m.
- March 5 – Band/Orchestra Concert – 7 p.m.
- March 7 – Swimming/Diving Banquet – 6 p.m.
- March 8 – FINALS
- March 8 – Theatre Booster parent meeting – 7 p.m.
- March 9 – FINALS
- March 10 – Spring Sport Pictures
- March 10 – Show Choir Competition – Chicago
- March 19 – Term 4 Begins
- March 22 – RGDE – late start
- March 23 – NE State Debate Conference Early Release 12:30 p.m.
- March 26 – Choir Concert – LSW Auditorium 7 p.m.
- March 27 – Pep Rally
- March 28 – Cheer Tryout Information Meeting – Commons – 7 – 8 p.m.
- March 28 – Honors Convocation 8:15 a.m.
LUNCH FOR WEDNESDAY
- Breaded Chicken Sandwich on Whole Grain Bun, Turkey Sub or Meatball Sub
SPORTS FOR WEDNESDAY
JUNIORS ONLY: The College Prep Scholarship
Through QuestBridge's College Prep Scholarship, more than 1,500 high-achieving low-income juniors will be selected as College Prep Scholars to receive awards designed to help them become successful applicants to top colleges. The awards include:
- Full scholarships to summer programs at leading universities such as Brandeis, Emory, Harvard, Notre Dame, Stanford, Penn, and Yale
- Invitations to attend the annual QuestBridge College Admissions Conferences, where students can meet college admissions officers and attend workshops on applying to leading colleges as low-income students
- Individualized college counseling provided by QuestBridge staff and current Quest Scholars
- All-expense-paid visits to partner college campuses
- Telementoring with Amherst College students about the college admissions process
For more information or to apply, go to: http://www.questbridge.org/
- SENIORS: SCHOLARSHIP DEADLINES are fast approaching. There are many new scholarships listed on ScholarshipQuest at: http://www.educationquest.org/scholarshipquest/ with deadlines in Feb., Mar., April or May. Some new scholarship opportunities are also listed on the counseling center web site at:
Each year some of the scholarships are not awarded because students just don’t take the time to apply!! Check these out and apply soon!
Please check the list of 2012 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by May 4, if there are ANY changes.
- LSW Cheer Tryout Information:
Cheer Tryout Info Meeting: March 28th, Common, 7:00-8:00.
Cheer Tryout Practice: April 9-12, 6:00-8:00
Cheer Tryout: April 13th, 4:00-??
- Prom Closet Project is open to any young lady for their prom or special event. Only $20 per gown. All proceeds benefit The Foster Care Closet. The Prom Closet is open the first 2 weekends of March and April. Call Leigh at 402 617-0667 for details.
- Bright Lights' classroom assistants play a valuable role in the summer program; their work in the classroom helps ensure a successful week. The assistants also benefit from the experience. They gain direct exposure to the teaching career, work directly with experts in the field and have a unique opportunity to try their hand in the classroom.
Assistants are trained during a two hour session in May. Volunteers will log 20 hours during one week which will count for complete GOPO hours or other community hours. Class are held the weeks of June 4-8, June 18th - 22, and July 9-13. Applications will be accepted online beginning February 13th - March 16th at www.brightlights.org. For questions contact Barb Highstreet at 402-420-1115 ext. 49.
- ATTENTION Theatre Seniors: Scholarship Application Forms are now available for the Silver Hawk Theatre Scholarship. Forms can be picked up in the counseling center or Black Box classroom. Applications must be returned to Mr. Bob NO LATER than March 9. The scholarship will be awarded at the Theatre Banquet in May.
- Attention High-Achieving Female Sophomores or Juniors - The Joyce Ivy Foundation provides scholarships to help young women from Nebraska in their pursuit of higher education opportunities at leading academic institutions (Ivy League or other excellent colleges). Applications for Summer 2012 can be submitted NOW online at http://www.joyceivyfoundation.org.
In 2012, 56 Joyce Ivy Foundation Summer Scholars received scholarships for summer programs at some of the best universities in the nation - Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Penn, Stanford and Yale. For summer 2012, the Joyce Ivy Foundation plans to increase the number of full and partial scholarships to be awarded for Pre-College Summer Programs. These scholarships cover the cost of tuition, room and board, as well as related expenses such as books, fees, and travel to and from campus. While the deadline is March 19, 2012, please apply early, as pre-college financial aid budgets tend to be consumed relatively early in the admissions cycle. We hope that you will visit http://www.joyceivyfoundation.org for more information and to watch the video featuring recent Joyce Ivy Summer Scholars.
- Emeralds Tryout Information:
- Tuesday, February 28th: 7:15 am & 6:00 pm--MANDATORY Parent/Dancer Meeting (A118 Forum)
- Tuesday, March 27th: 3:30 pm—Information Sheets due
- Tuesday, April 3rd: 3:30-6:30 pm (approximately) --Emerald Interviews
- Wednesday, April 4th: 3:30-7:30 pm – Practice Session/Mock Auditions (Main Gym)
- Thursday, April 5th: 3:30-7:00 pm (approximately) – Auditions (Main Gym)
- Wednesday, April 11th: 3:30-4:30 pm Uniform Fitting (D023 PE Classroom)
- In honor of Nebraska Teacher Recognition Day – Tuesday, March 6 – Lincoln Public Schools and KFOR/KFRX Radio collaborate to thank our educators with the annual Thank You Teacher contest. Anyone who lives in Lincoln/Lancaster County can nominate a teacher. In addition to a written description, explaining why a teacher made a difference in your life, entries should include the teacher’s name, grade level and school (or contact information), as well as the nominator’s name, address and phone number. Nominations should be postmarked or sent by Friday, Feb. 24th and mailed to: hank You Teacher, Communications, LPS District Offices, 3801 S. 14th St.: Lincoln, NE 68502. ** Entry forms can also be found on the LPS website and you can submit nominations online at: http://lps.org/go/recognize. For more information contact Mary Kay Roth, 436-1609, email@example.com.
- Attention all Seniors!!! Jostens is our new carrier for all your graduation supplies. Please contact them at 402-328-2604 or on their website lincolngraduation.com with any questions!
COLLEGE PLANNING - February “To Do” List
Complete these tasks during February to stay on the right college planning track.
___ Apply for a Department of Education PIN (one for you and one for a parent) at pin.ed.gov.
___ Complete student and parent 2011 tax returns.
___ Complete the FAFSA at fafsa.gov.
___ Continue to apply for scholarships.
___ Register by February 10 for the March 10 SAT.
___ All juniors will take the ACT on April 24th at LSW - free of charge - no need to register for an April test.
- Wednesday, February 29th – Wayne State College 9 a.m.
- Monday, March 5th – Iowa Western Community College 9 a.m.
- Monday, March 26th – University of Nebraska – Lincoln 10 a.m. (junior visit)