March 26, 2012 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- March 26 – Choir Concert – LSW Auditorium 7 p.m.
- March 27 – Pep Rally
- March 28 – Cheer Tryout Information Meeting – Commons – 7 – 8 p.m.
- March 28 – Honors Convocation 8:15 a.m.
- March 31 – Science Olympiad Meet practice
- April 3 – Emeralds Dance Tryouts – 3:15 p.m.
- April 4 – Emeralds Dance Tryouts – 3:15 p.m.
- April 5 – Emeralds Dance Tryouts – 3:15 p.m.
- April 5 – Theatre Booster parent meeting – 7 p.m.
- April 6 – NO SCHOOL
- April 9 – NO SCHOOL
- April 12 – Crazy for You – 7 p.m.
- April 13 – Crazy for You – 7 p.m.
- April 14 – Crazy for You – 2 p.m.
- April 21 – Nebraska State Meet – Science Olympiad, UNL
- LSW Jrs and Srs are invited to the Nebraska Agricultural Youth Institute (NAYI) on July 9-13 2012, at the UNL East Campus. NAYI is a 5 day summer conference for high school students from across Nebraska. The purpose is to inform about career opportunities in agriculture and to develop leadership skills. For information or applications (due April 15th) go to http://www.agr.state.ne.us/nayi
- Lincoln Earth Day Coalition is looking for volunteers for the Lincoln Earth Day on April 22. Volunteers are needed throughout the day from 7am until about 6 pm. Volunteers will be face painting, arts and crafts, greeting attendees, giving away prizes, cheer on runners, etc. Students should go online to the following website to register as a volunteer: http://www.lincolnearthday.org/volunteer.asp Any other questions about volunteering can be addressed to Amanda Burau, Lincoln Earth Day Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tickets are now on sale for the spring musical - CRAZY FOR YOU - $10 for adults and $8 for students.
Join Us before the Friday & Saturday performances for "Supper at Lank's Saloon" - our pre-show event! Tickets for dinner are $25 each. Call the Box Office at 402-436-1335 for information and reservations for both!
LUNCH FOR MONDAY
- Asian Teriyaki Chicken on Brown Rice, BBQ Beef Riblette on a Whole Grain Bun or Tater Tot Casserole
SPORTS FOR MONDAY
- Reserve Baseball – East – 5 p.m.
- US Senator Mike Johanns and US Representative Jeff Fortenberry invite LSW students to the 2012 Academy and Military Day on Saturday, March 31st from 9:00 to 12:00 at LSW. This is a day for high school students and their parents to learn about the service academy nomination process, and other opportunities for military service such as ROTC, the National Guard, Reserves and enlisting. A program will start at10:00. Military representitives will be available before the program and briefly afterwards. Questions call Senator Johanns' office at 402-758-8981 or Congressman Fortenberry's office at 402-438-1598.
- LSW students 16 and older can attend the Bryan College of Health Science Health Career Camp 2012 You’ll learn skills from health professionals with hands-on activities, plus hear from a panel of health professionals with time for questions and answers. To participate students must:
• Be interested in a health career and enjoy science classes.
• Be able to attend the entire week-long camp.
• Apply by April 16.
When: June 25-29 OR July 23-27, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Where: BryanLGH College of Health Sciences,
5035 Everett St., Lincoln, Nebraska
Cost: $300 (includes $50 non-refundable deposit required
at time of application). This includes lunches, scrub
uniforms, supplies, transportation to field trips and
bowling and pizza social activity. Ten scholarship
spots are available courtesy of Woods Charitable
Applications available in the Counseling Center from Mr Ernst.
Questions please contact:
Kelli Backman at 402-481-8698
Lisa McConnell at 402-481-8697
or email@example.comLSW Juniors and Seniors are invited to see an insider's view of the School of Allied Health Professions Saturday, April 14, 2012 in the Michael F. Sorrell Center for Health Science Education building 619 South 42nd Street / Omaha (Parking in Lots 39 and 4 on the Southeast and Southwest corners of 41st & Emile)
Register for one, or both, of these great opportunities:
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Audience: This track is intended for individuals who believe they will be ready to apply for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Career Exploration Track
12:30 PM – 5:00 PM
Audience: This track is intended for individuals who want to explore each profession more closely. High school juniors and seniors and college students, interested in a career in health care, will have the opportunity for hands-on experiences. Parents are also welcome! Register online now http://app1.unmc.edu/alliedhealth/BP2012Registration.cfm by April 6th, as space in limited.
- Ambassadors' applications are due Wednesday, March 28th @ 4 pm. The deadline has been extended! All current Ambassadors and interested applicants need to apply. Application is online on LSW homepage and in the counseling center.
- Schernikau Detasseling has information available in the Counseling Center for students who are ages 13 and up interested in summer detasseling. For more information regarding Schernikau Detasseling visit www.schernikaudetasseling.com or call 877-803-3225.
- Crohn's and Colitis Foundation is looking for volunteers for an event is called "Take Steps". It is going to be held on 5/12 at Holmes Lake in Lincoln. If anyone is interested in volunteering or more information they can contact Melissa Sullivan at 402-505-9901. We need help in setting up tents/food and registration tables/etc.
- Cavett Elementary is looking for volunteers for the Cavett Elementary Fun Night scheduled for Friday, April 20th. Fun Night is an annual carnival-like event at Cavett with games and food for families to enjoy. It is a perfect opportunity for LSW students to complete some hours of community service for their graduation requirement. Shifts run from 5:00-6:30 pm and 6:30-8:00 pm. Of course, volunteers are more than welcome to volunteer the entire time! Volunteers will need to arrive 15 minutes early to check in and find their station. Contact Heather Canaday at 402-420-0299 to sign up.
- Wayne State Scholarship Applications available in counseling center. If you are a senior in the top half of your class, 18+ ACT, active in school, possess leadership qualities and plan to attend Wayne State College in the fall, then this is for you! Deadline: April 3, 2012, to Mrs. Volker in counseling center!
- 2012 Graduates—Please check the list of 2012 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by May 4, if there are ANY changes.
- LSW Cheer Tryout Information:
Cheer Tryout Info Meeting: March 28th, Common, 7:00-8:00.
Cheer Tryout Practice: April 9-12, 6:00-8:00
Cheer Tryout: April 13th, 4:00-??
- Prom Closet Project is open to any young lady for their prom or special event. Only $20 per gown. All proceeds benefit The Foster Care Closet. The Prom Closet is open the first 2 weekends of March and April. Call Leigh at 402 617-0667 for details.
- Emeralds Tryout Information:
- Tuesday, February 28th: 7:15 am & 6:00 pm--MANDATORY Parent/Dancer Meeting (A118 Forum)
- Tuesday, March 27th: 3:30 pm—Information Sheets due
- Tuesday, April 3rd: 3:30-6:30 pm (approximately) --Emerald Interviews
- Wednesday, April 4th: 3:30-7:30 pm – Practice Session/Mock Auditions (Main Gym)
- Thursday, April 5th: 3:30-7:00 pm (approximately) – Auditions (Main Gym)
- Wednesday, April 11th: 3:30-4:30 pm Uniform Fitting (D023 PE Classroom)
- Attention all Seniors!!! Jostens is our new carrier for all your graduation supplies. Please contact them at 402-328-2604 or on their website lincolngraduation.com with any questions!
College Planning March “To Do” Lists
___ If you haven’t already done so, complete your FAFSA!
___ Expect financial aid notifications during March and April.
___ Continue applying for scholarships.
___ Take the April 14 ACT here at LSW – no registration necessary.
___ Register by April 6 for the May 5 SAT.
___ Schedule campus visits.
For free help with college planning, contact EducationQuest: Call 402-475-5222 OR visit
EducationQuest Foundation is a private, nonprofit organization with a mission to improve access to higher education in Nebraska.
- Monday, March 26th – University of Nebraska – Lincoln 10 a.m. (junior visit)
- Monday, March 26th – University of Nebraska – Omaha 9 a.m.
- Wednesday, March 28th – Iowa State University – 1 p.m.
- Thursday, March 29th –Midland University- 9 a.m.