April 13, 2012 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- April 13 – Crazy for You – 7 p.m.
- April 13 – Cheer Tryouts
- April 14 – Crazy for You – 2 p.m.
- April 16 – NO SCHOOL
- April 16 – Remember Our Fallen Exhibit – 7 p.m.
- April 21 – Nebraska State Meet – Science Olympiad, UNL
- April 21 – Crazy for You – 7 p.m.
- April 24 – ACT Test – 11th grade only
- April 24 – NO SCHOOL 9th, 10th & 12th grade students
- April 25 – NHS Induction 8:15 a.m.
- April 26 – Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7 p.m.
- For all students planning on playing next year a football meeting will be held at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, April 18th in the LSW Auditorium. If you can NOT make it see Coach King!
- Summer School, 2012 will be held at North Star High School from May 31-July 12 from 8:00-11:50 AM. Students may take 2 classes (10 credits). Classes meeting most graduation requirements will be offered. E learning will be available at all the high schools and Bryan.
2012 High School Summer School Registration information.
Week of 4/23: LPS current Seniors only
Week of 4/30: LPS current Seniors and Juniors only
Week of 5/7: All LPS students
Week of 5/14: All LPS students and non LPS students
May 20th: Last day for registrations by 4:00
Students who plan to be gone on vacation, camps or clinics for three or more school days should NOT register for summer school. Stop in the Counseling Center for booklet and registration material.
- COMPASS TEST -This computer-adaptive test is used at Southeast Community College. It measures skills in writing, reading English and mathematics and is used for placement in all SCC programs. There is no test fee, the test is not timed, and you receive your results immediately after testing. It is recommended that students take the COMPASS as soon as they decide to attend SCC. All students must take the ACT, SAT or COMPASS for admission to a program.The Compass test will be administered here at LSW on April 17th at 2:15 in the B120 lab. Students must register for the Compass in the Counseling Center.
LUNCH FOR FRIDAY
- Cheese Pizza on Whole Wheat Crust, Taco Hot Pocket or Chicken Strip Wrap
SPORTS FOR FRIDAY
- Boys Varsity Baseball – HAC – TBD
- Varsity Track & Field – Fremont – 12:30 p.m.
- Boys JV Soccer – East – 5 p.m.
- Girls JV Soccer – East – 5 p.m.
- Girls Reserve Soccer – Beatrice – 5 p.m.
SPORTS FOR THE WEEKEND
- Boys Freshman Baseball – GI – 10 a.m.
- Boys Reserve Baseball – GI – 10 a.m.
- Boys JV Baseball – Omaha Skutt – 2:30 p.m.
- Incoming freshman in LPS and non-LPS schools who will be future SilverHawks next fall are invited to attend a morning session, 8:30 - 11:15 am; or an afternoon session, 11:50 am - 2:30 pm on Wednesday, May 2nd. Scott Team A-8th graders, Park & Pound Middle 8th graders attend in the morning. Scott Team B-8th graders, and all other middle schools and non-LPS students attend in the afternoon. See our website for further details.
- Good Fortune is coming your way on Friday, April 13. Bring in your overdue books on Friday the 13th, and we will waive your largest fine. Help us celebrate School Library Month by restocking our shelves!!
- Planning on detasseling this summer? Information can be found in the Counseling Center!
- UNMC is holding its annual Summer Health Professions Career Workshop, from July 31 to August 3. Students will have the opportunity to investigate different health careers. This program is available current sophomores with a GPA of 3.0 or better. There is limited enrollment and applications are due by June 1. Cost is $275. Check with Mr. Ernst in the Counseling Center if you are interested.
- Health Occupations Summer Camp: Any current Sophomore or Junior student that have taken one of the following courses: Introduction to Health Occupations; Medical Terminology; or Anatomy/Physiology can apply for the Health Occupations Summer Camp. The camp is June 4 - 8, 2012 at Saint Elizabeth Regional Health Center from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. Applications are due by April 23rd and are available in the Counseling Center.
- Summer Internship Program: Any current Junior student that has taken two of the following courses: Introduction to Health Occupations; Medical Terminology; Anatomy/Physiology or Fundamentals of Health Careers can apply for the Summer Internship Program. The orientation is June 4th, 2012 Saint Elizabeth Regional Health Center from 7:00 am to 11:00 am. Applications are due by April 23rd and are available in the Counseling Center.
- Students, parents and guardians are invited to the Lincoln Area College Fair, hosted by Lincoln Southeast High School, on Monday, April 23rd from 6:00-7:30 p.m. The Lincoln Area College Fair will have over 50 Midwest colleges represented. This is a great time for students and parents to ask questions of college representatives and explore the many options available to students. Representatives from EducationQuest will also be available to answer college planning and financial aid questions. Lincoln Southeast High School is located at 2930 S. 37th Street. We hope you will take advantage of this college fair opportunity on Monday, April 23rd from 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. Please contact the Lincoln Southeast High School Counseling Center for questions.
- Thursday, April 25, 2012 will be the last day to order Senior Shirts. Cost is $10.00 payable at the Bookkeeper’s Window. Check out the design which is posted outside the Bookkeeper’s window.
- LSW Jr’s and Sr’s are invited to the Nebraska Agricultural Youth Institute (NAYI) on July 9-13 2012, at the UNL East Campus. NAYI is a 5 day summer conference for high school students from across Nebraska. The purpose is to inform about career opportunities in agriculture and to develop leadership skills. For information or applications (due April 15th) go to http://www.agr.state.ne.us/nayi
- Lincoln Earth Day Coalition is looking for volunteers for the Lincoln Earth Day on April 22. Volunteers are needed throughout the day from 7am until about 6 pm. Volunteers will be face painting, arts and crafts, greeting attendees, giving away prizes, cheer on runners, etc. Students should go online to the following website to register as a volunteer: http://www.lincolnearthday.org/volunteer.asp Any other questions about volunteering can be addressed to Amanda Burau, Lincoln Earth Day Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tickets are now on sale for the spring musical - CRAZY FOR YOU - $10 for adults and $8 for students.
Join us before the Friday & Saturday performances for "Supper at Lank's Saloon" - our pre-show event! Tickets for dinner are $25 each.
- LSW students 16 and older can attend the Bryan College of Health Science Health Career Camp 2012
You’ll learn skills from health professionals with hands-on activities, plus hear from a panel of
health professionals with time for questions and answers. To participate students must:
• Be interested in a health career and enjoy science classes.
• Be able to attend the entire week-long camp.
• Apply by April 16.
When: June 25-29 OR July 23-27, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Where: BryanLGH College of Health Sciences,
5035 Everett St., Lincoln, Nebraska
Cost: $300 (includes $50 non-refundable deposit required
at time of application). This includes lunches, scrub
uniforms, supplies, transportation to field trips and
bowling and pizza social activity. Ten scholarship
spots are available courtesy of Woods CharitableFoundation.
Applications available in the Counseling Center from Mr Ernst.
Questions please contact:
Kelli Backman at 402-481-8698
Lisa McConnell at 402-481-8697
or email@example.comLSW Juniors and Seniors are invited to see an insider's view of the School of Allied Health Professions Saturday, April 14, 2012 in the Michael F. Sorrell Center for Health Science Education building 619 South 42nd Street / Omaha (Parking in Lots 39 and 4 on the Southeast and Southwest corners of 41st & Emile)
Register for one, or both, of these great opportunities:
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Audience: This track is intended for individuals who believe they will be ready to apply for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- Cavett Elementary is looking for volunteers for the Cavett Elementary Fun Night scheduled for Friday, April 20th. Fun Night is an annual carnival-like event at Cavett with games and food for families to enjoy. It is a perfect opportunity for LSW students to complete some hours of community service for their graduation requirement. Shifts run from 5:00-6:30 pm and 6:30-8:00 pm. Of course, volunteers are more than welcome to volunteer the entire time! Volunteers will need to arrive 15 minutes early to check in and find their station. Contact Heather Canaday at 402-420-0299 to sign up.
- 2012 Graduates—Please check the list of 2012 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by May 4, if there are ANY changes.
- LSW Cheer Tryout Information:
Cheer Tryout Practice: April 9-12, 6:00-8:00
Cheer Tryout: April 13th, 4:00-??
- Prom Closet Project is open to any young lady for their prom or special event. Only $20 per gown. All proceeds benefit The Foster Care Closet. The Prom Closet is open the first 2 weekends of March and April. Call Leigh at 402 617-0667 for details.
- Emeralds Tryout Information: Wednesday, April 11th: 3:30-4:30 pm Uniform Fitting (D023 PE Classroom)
- Attention all Seniors!!! Jostens is our new carrier for all your graduation supplies. Please contact them at 402-328-2604 or on their website lincolngraduation.com with any questions!
April “To Do” Lists for College Bound Juniors and Seniors
___ Continue applying for scholarships.
___ Start purchasing dorm essentials now to avoid sticker shock in August.
___ Start looking for a summer job.
___ Attend the Lincoln or Omaha College Fair (see information below).
___ Take the ACT at LSW on April 24th - no registration necessary - FREE - for ALL Juniors!
___ Register by April 6 for the May 5 SAT.
___ Register by May 4 for the June 9 ACT.
___ Schedule campus visits while colleges are still in session.
- Thursday, April 12th – Bryan LGH College of Health & Sciences – 9 a.m.
- Thursday, April 19th – Peru State College – 2:30 p.m.
- Monday, April 23rd – Hastings College – 10 a.m.
- Wednesday, April 25th – Creighton University – 10:30 a.m.