August 28, 2012 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- August 28 – Senior Meeting – 6:30 p.m.
- September 3 – Labor Day – NO SCHOOL
- September 4 – Freshman Parent Meeting – 6:30 p.m.
- September 4 – Freshman Gifted Parent Meeting – 7:30 p.m.
- September 5 – All-Choir Parent Meeting – 6:30 p.m. auditorium
- September 5 – Show Choir Parent Meeting – 7:15 p.m. auditorium
- September 13 – Honor Convocation 8:15 a.m.
- September 17 – Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7 p.m.
- September 18 – Junior Parent Meeting – 6:30 p.m.
- September 18 – Junior Gifted Parent Meeting – 7:30 p.m.
- September 20 – Homecoming Football Game
- September 21 – Homecoming Dance 8-11 p.m.
- September 27 – ANNE OF GREEN GABLES 7 p.m.
- September 28 – ANNE OF GREEN GABLES 7 p.m.
- September 30 – ANNE OF GREEN GABLES 2 p.m.
- October 2 – Lifetouch picture re-takes
- October 3 – RGDE Testing – LATE START
LUNCH FOR TUESDAY
- Italian Dunker, Polish dog on a Whole Grain Bun or Chicken Enchilada
SPORTS FOR TUESDAY
- Girls Varsity Golf – Pius X – 8:30 a.m.
- Boys Varsity Tennis – East – 4 p.m.
- Boys JV Tennis – East – 4 p.m.
- Girls Varsity Softball – LHS – 5 p.m.
- Girls JV Softball – LHS – 6:30 p.m.
- Boys Reserve Football – Pius X – 6:30 p.m.
- If you are interested in possibly attending the 2013 Presidential Inauguration in Washington D.C. with the Close Up Foundation, please stop by and see either Ms. Handa in A113 or Mr. Raatz in the A117 TPC.
- Math Club is meeting on Thursday mornings at 7:15 in room B111
- Students interested in joining Principal Advisory Council should stop by the office and pick up an application. This is a small group of students from each grade working together to enhance and improve the Southwest High School Community. The council meets with Mr. Slauson the first Tuesday of each month at 7:15 a.m. beginning October 2nd. Applications need to be turned in by Friday, September 14th to the main office. Previous member of Principal Advisory Council need to notify the office if they wish to remain part of the group.
- There will be a girls basketball meeting Wednesday August 29th at 3:10 in the PE classroom (D023) for all girls not out for a fall sport. See Coach Brenden if you have question.
- SENIORS IN NEED OF GOPO HOURS?????
WHO: Volunteers who want to be involved in the Community around them.
WHAT: Holding, playing and educating nursery and preschool age children.
WHEN: 2 ½ hours twice a month, 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month from 8:45 to 11:15am.
WHERE: Southwood Lutheran Church (9300 S 40th St.)
Candidates can send their resumes to email@example.com with the subject line "MOPPETS Volunteer Position". Selected candidates will go through a background check and have a formal interview.
If there are any questions, please contact Jessie or Kari by phone or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jessie Krikac at Cell #402-310-9471 Kari Neth at Cell # 402-420-4964
- The Lincoln Southwest Emeralds Dance Team will be hosting a car wash on Friday, August 31st from 4:00-6:30 pm at the car wash on 33rd and Pioneers. Come support the Emeralds and get your car washed at the same time. That is next Friday from 4:00-6:30 pm. Ask any Emerald for more information. Hope to see you there!
- Munroe-Meyer Institute will be offering Social Skills groups to teens with Autism Spectrum disorders. Please see Ms. Burk in the Counseling Office for more details.
- High school students! Who doesn't like pizza, scholarships and a chance to learn from Lincoln's most successful entrepreneurs? Junior Achievement will host an evening program called Driven Youth Invitational designed for students who want to learn more about business and entrepreneurship. Students have the opportunity to interact with some of Lincoln's most successful and renowned entrepreneurs and can gain valuable hands-on experience in creating their own business plan. The program takes place on Tuesday evenings from 6:00-7:30 at Kaplan University starting on September 18th and ends on November 6th. Pizza is provided each night and there are scholarship opportunities. Go online to www.drivenyouthinvitational.com or call Kelly Pargett, JA program director, 402.467.1741.
- August 27th - Tickets go on sale for the Fall show - ANNE OF GREEN GABLES. $10 for adults and $8 for students. Call the Box Office at 402-436-1335
- The Center for Student Opportunity (www.cso.org) helps students and their supporters discover the many colleges and universities committed to serving the traditionally underserved including students of color, first-generation, &/or low-income status. The CSO provides links to opportunities for qualified students to learn how they may qualify to have their travel (including transportation) paid for select visitation days & a few even offer opportunities for full-tuition scholarships to eligible students. Deadlines are quickly approaching, so please visit the CSO website if you are interested. Fall is a great time to get out and visit colleges and universities. Many schools host programs this time of year designed to expose prospective students to life on their campuses and some will even will pay the travel costs, including transportation, to visit such schools as those listed below:
- Barnard College - NYC, NY
- Bowdoin College - Brunswick, ME
- Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
- Davidson College - Davidson, NC
- Franklin & Marshall College - Lancaster, PA
- Grinnell College - Grinnell, IA
- Occidental College - LA, CA
- Pomona College - Claremont, CA
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - Troy NY
- Wesseley College - Wesseley, MA
- Whitman College - Walla Walla, WA
- Williams College - Williamstown, MA
Seniors looking for scholarships should register with any of the following scholarship searches:
- MyEducationQuest & ScholarshipQuest @ educationquest.org
Students & families are reminded that the new URL for the LSW Counseling Center is http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/. Updates are added on a continuing basis.
- Wednesday, Sept. 12th – College of Hair Design – 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 19 – Southeast Community College – 8:15 a.m.
- Wednesday, September 19 – Drake University – 9:45 a.m.
- Wednesday, September 26 – Central Community College – 9 a.m.