October 3, 2012 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- October 3 – RGDE Testing – LATE START
- October 3 – Jazz Band/Orchestra Concert – LSW Auditorium 7 p.m.
- October 4 – WGDE Testing
- October 6 – Links Marching Band Contest
- October 8 – UNL Men’s Choir Festival – All Day
- October 10 – Choir Concert – LSW Auditorium – 6:30 p.m.
- October 11 – FINALS
- October 12 – FINALS
- October 13 – All-State Auditions @ LNS
- October 13 – Theatre Craft Show
- October 13 – LPS Marching Band Contest – Seacrest Field
- October 15- NO SCHOOL
- October 16 – NO SCHOOL
- October 17 – Term 2 Begins
- October 17 – It’s a Wonderful Life Auditions – 7 p.m.
- October 18 – It’s a Wonderful Life Auditions – 7 p.m.
- October 20 – NSBA State Marching Band Contest – Millard South
- October 20 – PSAT Test 7:45 a.m.
LUNCH FOR WEDNESDAY
- Mucho Nachos, Turkey Burger on Whole Grain Bun or Meatball Sub on Hot Dog Bun
SPORTS FOR WEDNESDAY
- Girls JV Softball – LPS Championship – 4 p.m.
- Boys Varsity Tennis – Lincoln High – 4 p.m.
- Boys JV Tennis – Lincoln High – 4 p.m.
- Boys Reserve Tennis – Lincoln High – 4 p.m.
- Looking for students who are interested in attending the 9th Annual Hispanic/Latino Summit in Kearney, NE at UNK on October 22nd. Transportation is provided and all registration forms must be completed and returned to Mrs. Kelley by October 5th- see Mrs. Kelley in A101 or A117 TPC for details and forms
- LSW Multicultural Club is having their 1st meeting of the year, NEXT Wed 10/3 after school in A101. Any LSW student is welcome to attend and join the club! Hope to see you there! Thanks, Mrs. Kelley- LSW Multicultural Club Sponsor
- Join us and explore a future in the health care profession. Whether you are interested in nursing, ultrasound or biomedical sciences, you’ll want to attend this special event! You can talk to faculty and students, learn about financial aid and participate in hands-on activities. Plus, tour Bryan College of Health Sciences and our exceptional teaching facilities including nursing and ultrasound skills labs, Science labs and a nine-bed Simulation Center. You’ll even get to see a simulated patient care scenario. Saturday, October 20, 2012 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM Bryan College of Health Sciences Room 204, 5035 Everett St. Lincoln, Nebraska 68506 402-481-8697
- On October 3, Duncan Aviation will be hosting an aviation career exhibition, Adjust Your Altitude 2012. There will be up to 200 high school students from Nebraska, Iowa and Kansas in attendance. The goal is to
educate students about all of the unique career opportunities in aviation and pique their interest in the industry. The day will consist of students visiting with representatives from Colleges and Universities, Tech Schools, Aviation exhibitors, Aviation, Media, Government Agencies and Military organizations. Students will also get to experiment with some hands-on activities, including testing their aircraft maintenance skills. If you have or know a high school student, please extend an invitation to
them. Registration is due September 28 and is free. Go to the web site for more information or contact Felicia Nichelson in PDT ext 8176. http://www.duncanaviation.aero/aviationcareerday/index.php
This will be an educational, exciting and fun day with $3,000 in scholarships awarded to attendees!
- Do you love to talk? Would you like to win some cash? If so, consider participating in the American Legion Oratorical Contest. The District 15 contest is Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 4 pm. The district winner receives $100 for participating in the area contest. If you make it to the State competition, you can win up to $1000 plus a $1500 (minimum) scholarship if you participate in the National Finals. For more information, see Ms. Burk in the Counseling Center or call Brenda Moore at 402.483.1510.
- Calling all Future Educators! There is a Future Educators Conference on October 18 at the University of Nebraska-Omaha from 8 am - 3 pm. The conference is free and lunch is provided for participants. For more information, please see Ms. Burk in the Counseling Center. You may also register online at http://www.education.ne.gov/nce/ConferencesWorkshops.html.
- Interested in Engineering? Check out these opportunities!
WIIE – Women Interested in Engineering Day, Lincoln City Campus – Othmer Hall (Grades 9-12)
Saturday, October 13, 2012
This program is designed to discuss opportunities available in engineering and construction management, with an emphasis on females interested in engineering and science.
For more information and to register: http://www.wiie.unl.edu/index.shtml
- PKI Open House, Omaha Campus - The Peter Kiewit Institute (Grades 9-12)
Sunday, October 28 – No Registration
Our open houses allow prospective students and their families to see the Omaha engineering facilities, tour housing, and meet with faculty, staff and current students.
For more information: http://www.engineering.unl.edu/Events/PKI-openhouse/
- UNK Health Careers Fair
October 10, 2012
9 am - 12:30 pm
For additional information, please see Ms. Burk in the Counseling Center
- 2013 Prudential Spirit of Community Awards is a unique opportunity to recognize young people for volunteer service in their communities. More information is at www.nassp.org/spirit. Eligible students must meet the following criteria: 1) 5th-12th grade as of November 6, 2012; 2) Legal resident of US or District of Columbia; 3) Engaged in a volunteer activity that occurred at least in part after September 1, 2011; & 4) Completes an application & submits it to the school principal by November 6, 2012.
- Tuesday, October 2 – Nebraska Wesleyan – 9 a.m.
- Friday, October 5 – Joseph’s College of Beauty – 1 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 9 – Colorado Christian University – 9 a.m.
- Monday, October 22 – Missouri University of Science & Technology – 9 a.m.
- Monday, October 22 –Columbia College – 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, October 23 – Iowa Western – 9 a.mm
- Tuesday, October 23 –Hillsdale- 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, October 23 – University of Southern California – 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 24 – Rockhurst – 8:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, October 24 – Missouri Western – 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, October 24 – University of Kansas – 1 p.m.
- Thursday, October 25 – Bryan College of Health Sciences – 9 a.m.
- Thursday, October 25 – Coe College – 10 a.m.
- Thursday, October 25 – Clarkson – 1 p.m.
- Thursday, October 25 – Macalester College 8:15 a.m.
- Friday, October 26 – Hamline – 2 p.m.
- Monday, October 29 – St. Catherine University – 8:15 a.m.
- Monday, October 29 – Vanderbilt – 9 a.m.
- Tuesday, October 30 – Iowa State University – 8:30 a.m.