October 5, 2012 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- October 6 – Links Marching Band Contest
- October 8 – UNL Men’s Choir Festival – All Day
- October 10 – Choir Concert – LSW Auditorium – 6:30 p.m.
- October 11 – FINALS
- October 12 – FINALS
- October 13 – All-State Auditions @ LNS
- October 13 – Fine Arts & Craft Show
- October 13 – LPS Marching Band Contest – Seacrest Field
- October 15- NO SCHOOL
- October 16 – NO SCHOOL
- October 17 – Term 2 Begins
- October 17 – It’s a Wonderful Life Auditions – 7 p.m.
- October 18 – It’s a Wonderful Life Auditions – 7 p.m.
- October 20 – NSBA State Marching Band Contest – Millard South
- October 20 – PSAT Test 7:45 a.m.
- Term 2 schedules will be distributed during block 2 on Tuesday, October 9. You will need to bring these schedules with you for the beginning of Term 2 classes.
- Yearbook Sales: No yearbook sales until term 2. The next yearbook sales time will be Nov. 19-21, including during Parent/teacher conferences on Nov. 20. Cost remains at $55. Price goes up third term to $60.
- Get on campus! Sign up to visit Peru State College! On November 13th, Peru State will send a bus to Lincoln to pick up students interested in touring Peru State College. This is a free opportunity for you to step on campus and see what Peru has to offer! Tour campus, meet professors and current Peru State students, and enjoy a free lunch! Register by November 6th by going to: www.peru.edu/admissions.
- Profiles in Courage Essay Contest-Do you know a political figure who has exhibited political courage? By writing a simple essay (1000 words or less), you could win up to $10,000! For details on the topic and how to submit an essay, visit: www.jfklibrary.org. The deadline is January 5, 2013.
- Free Tutoring! El Centro de las Americas is offering tutoring and mentoring on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. For more information, see Ms. Burk in the Counseling Center.
LUNCH FOR FRIDAY
- Whole Grain Mac & Cheese w/ Whole Wheat Roll, Mexi Pizza on Whole Wheat Crust or Chicken and Noodles w/ Whole Wheat Roll
SPORTS FOR FRIDAY
- Boys Varsity Football – Norfolk – 8 p.m.
- Girls JV golf – Tournament – 1 p.m.
- Girls Varsity Softball – District – 12 p.m.
SPORTS FOR THE WEEKEND
- Boys JV Tennis – LPS Championship – 9 a.m.
- Boys Reserve Tennis – LPS Championship – 9 a.m.
- The Epsilon Sigma Alpha Foundation program has many scholarships on their website website: www.epsilonsigmaalpha.org/esaf. To find the application and list of available scholarships available – complete the application and requirements ‘on line’ and submit for judging. We are a public foundation and the scholarship program is open to everyone. If you have further questions and/or concerns, contact Dora Dill @ 402-467-1953. This past year, $216,250 was given to 200 scholarship recipients. There were 8,468 applications received from 50 states as well as 126 from international students.
- Looking for students who are interested in attending the 9th Annual Hispanic/Latino Summit in Kearney, NE at UNK on October 22nd. Transportation is provided and all registration forms must be completed and returned to Mrs. Kelley by October 5th- see Mrs. Kelley in A101 or A117 TPC for details and forms
- Join us and explore a future in the health care profession. Whether you are interested in nursing, ultrasound or biomedical sciences, you’ll want to attend this special event! You can talk to faculty and students, learn about financial aid and participate in hands-on activities. Plus, tour Bryan College of Health Sciences and our exceptional teaching facilities including nursing and ultrasound skills labs, Science labs and a nine-bed Simulation Center. You’ll even get to see a simulated patient care scenario. Saturday, October 20, 2012 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM Bryan College of Health Sciences Room 204, 5035 Everett St. Lincoln, Nebraska 68506 402-481-8697
- Do you love to talk? Would you like to win some cash? If so, consider participating in the American Legion Oratorical Contest. The District 15 contest is Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 4 pm. The district winner receives $100 for participating in the area contest. If you make it to the State competition, you can win up to $1000 plus a $1500 (minimum) scholarship if you participate in the National Finals. For more information, see Ms. Burk in the Counseling Center or call Brenda Moore at 402.483.1510.
- Calling all Future Educators! There is a Future Educators Conference on October 18 at the University of Nebraska-Omaha from 8 am - 3 pm. The conference is free and lunch is provided for participants. For more information, please see Ms. Burk in the Counseling Center. You may also register online at http://www.education.ne.gov/nce/ConferencesWorkshops.html.
- Interested in Engineering? Check out these opportunities!
WIIE – Women Interested in Engineering Day, Lincoln City Campus – Othmer Hall (Grades 9-12)
Saturday, October 13, 2012
This program is designed to discuss opportunities available in engineering and construction management, with an emphasis on females interested in engineering and science.
For more information and to register: http://www.wiie.unl.edu/index.shtml
- PKI Open House, Omaha Campus - The Peter Kiewit Institute (Grades 9-12)
Sunday, October 28 – No Registration
Our open houses allow prospective students and their families to see the Omaha engineering facilities, tour housing, and meet with faculty, staff and current students.
For more information: http://www.engineering.unl.edu/Events/PKI-openhouse/
- UNK Health Careers Fair
October 10, 2012
9 am - 12:30 pm
For additional information, please see Ms. Burk in the Counseling Center
- 2013 Prudential Spirit of Community Awards is a unique opportunity to recognize young people for volunteer service in their communities. More information is at www.nassp.org/spirit. Eligible students must meet the following criteria: 1) 5th-12th grade as of November 6, 2012; 2) Legal resident of US or District of Columbia; 3) Engaged in a volunteer activity that occurred at least in part after September 1, 2011; & 4) Completes an application & submits it to the school principal by November 6, 2012.
- Friday, October 5 – Joseph’s College of Beauty – 1 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 9 – Colorado Christian University – 9 a.m.
- Monday, October 22 – Missouri University of Science & Technology – 9 a.m.
- Monday, October 22 –Columbia College – 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, October 23 – Iowa Western – 9 a.mm
- Tuesday, October 23 –Hillsdale- 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, October 23 – University of Southern California – 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 24 – Rockhurst – 8:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, October 24 – Missouri Western – 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, October 24 – University of Kansas – 1 p.m.
- Thursday, October 25 – Bryan College of Health Sciences – 9 a.m.
- Thursday, October 25 – Coe College – 10 a.m.
- Thursday, October 25 – Clarkson – 1 p.m.
- Thursday, October 25 – Macalester College 8:15 a.m.
- Friday, October 26 – Hamline – 2 p.m.
- Monday, October 29 – St. Catherine University – 8:15 a.m.
- Monday, October 29 – Vanderbilt – 9 a.m.
- Tuesday, October 30 – Iowa State University – 8:30 a.m.
- Thursday, November 1 – Southeast Community College – 1:00 p.m.