January 18, 2012 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- January 18 – Deadline to turn in Senior Ads
- January 19 – Science Olympiad – Thunder Invitational - Kansas
- January 21 – Martin Luther King Day – No School
- January 22 – Registration current 10th Grade – 2:15-3:15 p.m.
- January 24 – Drama Club – 3:15 p.m.
- January 28 – Spring Play Auditions – 7-10 p.m.
- January 29 – Registration current 9th grade – 2:15-3:15 p.m.
- January 29 – Spring Play Auditions – 7-10 p.m.
- February 2 – Show Choir Showdown
- February 2 – Science Olympiad – Northland Invitational – Missouri
- February 5 – Incoming 9th Grade Registration – 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- February 7 – Incoming 9th Grade Registration – 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- February 7 – Theatre Booster Parent Meeting – 7 p.m.
- February 11– Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7 p.m.
- February 12 – Pep Rally 9:45 a.m.
- Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa Car Council's Paul High Memorial Scholarship Application * 4 scholarships valued at $300 each
- Professional Athletes Foundation Student Scholarship * $2,500 scholarship for eligible high school student athlete who will not compete at the collegiate level (Must be nominated by high school coach)
- Omaha Storm Chasers * Home Run Foundation of Greater Omaha-Robinson Athletic Scholarship
- Liberty First Credit Union's Credit Unions for Higher Education Scholarship Contest
- Central Community College Scholarships
- Association of Information Technology Professionals' Scholarships
- Lincoln Home Builders Care Foundation * Offering 4 scholarships valued at $750 each and 1 $1,000 scholarship
- Independent Insurance Agents of Nebraska Foundation * Offering 3 scholarships valued at $1,000 each
- Lincoln Area Retired School Personnel * Offering 4 scholarships valued at $1,000 each
National Scholarship Search Opportunities:
LUNCH FOR FRIDAY
- Cheese Pizza on Whole Wheat Crust, Hamburger on Whole Grain Bun or Oven Roasted ptatoes and Turkey w/ Whole Wheat Roll
SPORTS FOR FRIDAY
- Boys JV Basketball – East – 5:45 p.m.
- Girls Varsity Basketball – East – 5:45 p.m.
- Boys Varsity Basketball – East – 7:30 p.m.
- Girls JV Basketball – 7:30 p.m.
- *ATTENTION DRAMA CLUB/THEATRE SENIORS - Scholarship applications are NOW AVAILABLE for The Silver Hawk Theatre Scholarship from the counseling center and Mr. Bob in the Black Box Theatre classroom. Forms MUST be returned with appropriate information by March 8, 2013 to Mr.Bob. the scholarship will be awarded at the Theatre Banquet in May. The candidate does not need to be continuing in theatre studies in college to apply.
- *Audition Materials are now available for the spring Musical - 42ND STREET - at the Theatre Box Office. Auditions will be held Jan. 28 & 29, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. Students need to attend only ONE audition session. For more information please call the Box Office at 402-436-1335
- This year's upcoming NeSA-Writing Assessment will take place on January 24th. All eleventh grade students will be taking the assessment on the date mentioned during either First or Second block. The results and data from this assessment influence decisions about our performance compared to other high schools, our curriculum, and resources (staffing and funding) that our school and district receive. Students are encouraged to be well rested, and present at school on January 24th. This will be an online assessment, and students will receive a ticket with their login information the morning of the assessment. Testing rooms will be posted in the main office window for student reference the week of the assessment.
- Senior Ads Deadline extended to Jan. 18th
- Emeralds Tryout Meeting-February 12th in the A118 forum either at 7:15 am or 6:00 pm. Individuals who are interested in trying out for Emeralds must attend one of these meetings with a parent or guardian.
- Online Registration for 2013-14 - Online Registration for 2013-14 will be available for students to access from January 9th through February 17th. This year, a Glog will be available for each grade level. A glog is graphic blog, which is an interactive multimedia image that looks similar to a poster, but readers of a Glog are able to interact with the content. The Registration Glog for each grade level contains instructional information about the online registration process, graduation requirements, college entrance requirements, and AP classes. Click here to view LPS Graduation Requirements.
- LSW students and their families have the option of registering for next year’s classes on their own. For students and their families who would like to receive assistance with the online registration process, counselors and Student Ambassadors will be available at the dates/times shown below:
Current Juniors 1/15/13 2:15 – 3:15 (PLC Time)
Current Sophomores 1/22/13 2:15 – 3:15 (PLC Time)
Current Freshmen 1/29/13 2:15 – 3:15 (PLC Time)
Current 8th Graders 2/5/13 3:30 – 6:30
Current 8th Graders 2/7/13 3:30 – 6:30
- United States Naval Academy, 2013 Summer Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics Program
- Summer STEM is designed to encourage rising 8th-11th graders from across the country to pursue a course of study in engineering and technology throughout high school and college.
June 3-8 (rising 8th and 9th graders)
June 10-15 (rising 10th graders)
June 17-21 (rising 11th graders)
The application closes April 15, 2013.
- Seniors are reminded to check the LSW Counseling Center website (http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/) for scholarship updates in the posts on the HOME page and on the SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES page. New additions include the following:
- The creators of the Student Award Search Aid website are offering the B. Davis Scholarship, which has a May 27, 2013 deadline. This scholarship is valued at $1,000 and info is available at StudentAwardsSearch.com. If you have questions, please email questions to email@example.com.
- Visit www.nebraskalegionauz.net to access info about the American Legion Auxiliary’s Americanism Essay Contest. Winners will receive $50 each. For additional info, visit www.nebraskalegionaux.net or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Antonette Willa Skupa Turner Scholarship is a $500 scholarship is open to high school seniors who are prospective first year college students planning on majoring in English or History at accredited colleges or universities. The deadline is February 28, 2013
- Wednesday, January 30 – Missouri Western – 10 a.m.