January 28, 2012 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- January 28 – Spring Play Auditions – 7-10 p.m.
- January 29 – Registration current 9th grade – 2:15-3:15 p.m.
- January 29 – Spring Play Auditions – 7-10 p.m.
- February 2 – Show Choir Showdown
- February 2 – Science Olympiad – Northland Invitational – Missouri
- February 5 – Incoming 9th Grade Registration – 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- February 7 – Incoming 9th Grade Registration – 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- February 7 – Theatre Booster Parent Meeting – 7 p.m.
- February 11– Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7 p.m.
- February 12 – Pep Rally 9:45 a.m.
- Seniors & their families who would like assistance with completing the FAFSA may schedule an appointment at LSW with Anders Peterson, EducationQuest’s College Planning Specialist. A sign-up sheet is in the Counseling Center for times available on:
- Thursday, February 7th
- Thursday, February 21st
- Thursday, March 7th
- Thursday, March 28th
- Bring the items shown on the FAFSA Checklist, which is located at http://apps.educationquest.org/pdfs/FAFSAchecklist1314.pdf. If seniors & their families have questions about the FAFSA or financial aid, please contact EducationQuest’s 13th & O Street office at 402.475.5222 & select option 1 or email Anders at AndersP@educationquest.org.
- Applications for the 2013 Joyce Ivy Foundation Summer Scholars Program are available now and due March 15. Summer Scholars spend the summer at Barnard, Brown, Cornell, Emory, George Washington, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, MIT, NYU, Smith, and Stanford.
- Who are Summer Scholars?
- Summer Scholars are talented female high school students in Michigan, Ohio, Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Summer Scholars have demonstrated academic and leadership potential, and are typically in the top 10% of their high school class. Most Summer Scholars are current sophomores and juniors, though we will also accept applications from exceptional freshmen.
Summer Scholars come from a range of backgrounds, and scholarships are granted based on financial need. Typically 45% of the group comes from lower-income families, 45% from middle-income families, and 10% receive merit scholarships. Merit scholarships are granted to students who do not demonstrate financial need, but who have exceptional academic, intellectual, and leadership qualities.
- How do students apply?
- Application Available Now
- Students must also apply directly to the college summer program, under separate deadlines. Visit the Joyce Ivy Foundation website to learn more.
- 2013 Graduates— Please check the list of 2013 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by May 3, if there are ANY changes!!!
LUNCH FOR MONDAY
- Cheese Stuffed Whole Grain Breadstick w/ Dipping Sauce, Beef and Bean Burrito or Sweet and Sour Chicken on Brown Rice
SPORTS FOR MONDAY
- Boys Freshman Basketball – East – 5:45 p.m.
- Girls Reserve Basketball – East – 5:45 p.m.
- Boys Reserve Basketball – East – 7:30 p.m.
- Girls Freshman Basketball – East – 7:30 p.m.
- Junior Boys: The 2013 session of Cornhusker Boys’ State, sponsored by the Nebraska American Legion, will be held June 2-8, 2013 on the City Campus of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Chosen delegates will check in at noon Sunday, June 2 and the session will finish at noon on Sunday, June 8. Delegates will not be excused from any part of the Boys’ State Session in order to participate in other activities during the week or to take the ACT. Interested junior boys can pick up the application form in the Counseling Center and return the completed form to Ms. Burk by Friday, February 1st, 2012.
- Junior Girls: The 2013 session of Cornhusker Girls’ State, sponsored by the Nebraska American Legion, will be held June 2-8, 2013 on the City Campus of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Chosen delegates will check in at noon Sunday, June 2 and the session will finish at noon on Sunday, June 8. Delegates will not be excused from any part of the Girls’ State Session in order to participate in other activities during the week or to take the ACT. Interested junior girls can pick up the application form in the Counseling Center and return the completed form to Ms. Burk by Friday, February 1st, 2012.
- Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa Car Council's Paul High Memorial Scholarship Application * 4 scholarships valued at $300 each
- Professional Athletes Foundation Student Scholarship * $2,500 scholarship for eligible high school student athlete who will not compete at the collegiate level (Must be nominated by high school coach)
- Omaha Storm Chasers * Home Run Foundation of Greater Omaha-Robinson Athletic Scholarship
- Liberty First Credit Union's Credit Unions for Higher Education Scholarship Contest
- Central Community College Scholarships
- Association of Information Technology Professionals' Scholarships
- Lincoln Home Builders Care Foundation * Offering 4 scholarships valued at $750 each and 1 $1,000 scholarship
- Independent Insurance Agents of Nebraska Foundation * Offering 3 scholarships valued at $1,000 each
- Lincoln Area Retired School Personnel * Offering 4 scholarships valued at $1,000 each
National Scholarship Search Opportunities:
- *ATTENTION DRAMA CLUB/THEATRE SENIORS - Scholarship applications are NOW AVAILABLE for The Silver Hawk Theatre Scholarship from the counseling center and Mr. Bob in the Black Box Theatre classroom. Forms MUST be returned with appropriate information by March 8, 2013 to Mr.Bob. the scholarship will be awarded at the Theatre Banquet in May. The candidate does not need to be continuing in theatre studies in college to apply.
*Audition Materials are now available for the spring Musical - 42ND STREET - at the Theatre Box Office. Auditions will be held Jan. 28 & 29, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. Students need to attend only ONE audition session. For more information please call the Box Office at 402-436-1335
- This year's upcoming NeSA-Writing Assessment will take place on January 24th. All eleventh grade students will be taking the assessment on the date mentioned during either First or Second block. The results and data from this assessment influence decisions about our performance compared to other high schools, our curriculum, and resources (staffing and funding) that our school and district receive. Students are encouraged to be well rested, and present at school on January 24th. This will be an online assessment, and students will receive a ticket with their login information the morning of the assessment. Testing rooms will be posted in the main office window for student reference the week of the assessment.
- Emeralds Tryout Meeting-February 12th in the A118 forum either at 7:15 am or 6:00 pm. Individuals who are interested in trying out for Emeralds must attend one of these meetings with a parent or guardian.
- Online Registration for 2013-14 Online Registration for 2013-14 will be available for students to access from January 9th through February 17th. This year, a Glog will be available for each grade level. A glog is graphic blog, which is an interactive multimedia image that looks similar to a poster, but readers of a Glog are able to interact with the content. The Registration Glog for each grade level contains instructional information about the online registration process, graduation requirements, college entrance requirements, and AP classes. Click here to view LPS Graduation Requirements.
- LSW students and their families have the option of registering for next year’s classes on their own. For students and their families who would like to receive assistance with the online registration process, counselors and Student Ambassadors will be available at the dates/times shown below:
Current Freshmen 1/29/13 2:15 – 3:15 (PLC Time)
Current 8th Graders 2/5/13 3:30 – 6:30
Current 8th Graders 2/7/13 3:30 – 6:30
- Summer STEM is designed to encourage rising 8th-11th graders from across the country to pursue a course of study in engineering and technology throughout high school and college.
2013 Sessions: The application closes April 15, 2013.
June 3-8 (rising 8th and 9th graders)
June 10-15 (rising 10th graders)
June 17-21 (rising 11th graders)
- The creators of the Student Award Search Aid website are offering the B. Davis Scholarship, which has a May 27, 2013 deadline. This scholarship is valued at $1,000 and info is available at StudentAwardsSearch.com. If you have questions, please email questions to email@example.com.
- The Antonette Willa Skupa Turner Scholarship is a $500 scholarship is open to high school seniors who are prospective first year college students planning on majoring in English or History at accredited colleges or universities. The deadline is February 28, 2013.
- Wednesday, January 30 – Missouri Western – 10 a.m.
- Friday, February 1, - Lincoln College of Technology – 1 p.m.
- Monday, February 25 – Hastings College – 10 a.m.