February 1, 2013 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- February 2 – Show Choir Showdown
- February 2 – Science Olympiad – Northland Invitational – Missouri
- February 5 – Incoming 9th Grade Registration – 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- February 7 – Incoming 9th Grade Registration – 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- February 7 – Theatre Booster Parent Meeting – 7 p.m.
- February 11– Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7 p.m.
- February 12 – Pep Rally 9:45 a.m.
- February 23 – Science Olympiad – NE Regional Invitational - Omaha
- Students have until February 15th to complete the online registration process. For students who do not register, their classes will be selected for them & they will not have the opportunity to change the classes selected. There will be one FINAL registration assistance session held during P/T Conferences on Monday, February 11th at 4 to 7 p.m.
LUNCH FOR FRIDAY
- Chicken Fingers w/ Whole Wheat Roll, Hot Turkey Ham and Cheese on Whole Grain Bun or Turkey Tettrazzini
SPORTS FOR FRIDAY
- Varsity Swim & Dive – Millard South – 3 p.m.
- Girls Varsity Basketball – LNE – 5:45 p.m.
- Boys JV Basketball – LNE – 5:45 p.m.
- Girls JV Basketball – LNE – 7:30 p.m.
- Boys Varsity Basketball – LNE – 7:30 p.m.
SPORTS FOR THE WEEKEND
- Freshman Wrestling – Millard South – 9 a.m.
- Varsity Swim & Dive – Millard South – 9:30 a.m.
- Varsity Wrestling – HAC Tournament – 10 a.m.
- Girls Reserve Basketball – Lincoln Pius X 10:30 a.m.
- Road Ready Driving School will offer Driver's Ed. classes at Southwest High School on May 6-17. Classroom times will be 3:30-6:00 and in-car driving times will be arranged after school and on Saturdays. A Learner's Permit is NOT required to take the classroom portion of the course. A learner's permit will be required to complete the in-car driving lessons. The cost is $298, this includes the book. Brochures are available in the office for more information and registration purposes or you can call 402-477-5933. You can also visit us on the web at www.roadready.biz for more information.
- Boys' State and Girls' State applications are due on February 1, no exceptions.
- Seniors & their families who would like assistance with completing the FAFSA may schedule an appointment at LSW with Anders Peterson, EducationQuest’s College Planning Specialist. A sign-up sheet is in the Counseling Center for times available on:
- Thursday, February 7th
- Thursday, February 21st
- Thursday, March 7th
- Thursday, March 28th
- Bring the items shown on the FAFSA Checklist, which is located at http://apps.educationquest.org/pdfs/FAFSAchecklist1314.pdf. If seniors & their families have questions about the FAFSA or financial aid, please contact EducationQuest’s 13th & O Street office at 402.475.5222 & select option 1 or email Anders at AndersP@educationquest.org.
- Applications for the 2013 Joyce Ivy Foundation Summer Scholars Program are available now and due March 15. Summer Scholars spend the summer at Barnard, Brown, Cornell, Emory, George Washington, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, MIT, NYU, Smith, and Stanford.
Who are Summer Scholars?
- Summer Scholars are talented female high school students in Michigan, Ohio, Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Summer Scholars have demonstrated academic and leadership potential, and are typically in the top 10% of their high school class. Most Summer Scholars are current sophomores and juniors, though we will also accept applications from exceptional freshmen.
- Summer Scholars come from a range of backgrounds, and scholarships are granted based on financial need. Typically 45% of the group comes from lower-income families, 45% from middle-income families, and 10% receive merit scholarships. Merit scholarships are granted to students who do not demonstrate financial need, but who have exceptional academic, intellectual, and leadership qualities.
How do students apply?
Application Available Now
Deadline: March 15, 2013
- Students must also apply directly to the college summer program, under separate deadlines. Visit the Joyce Ivy Foundation website to learn more.
- 2013 Graduates— Please check the list of 2013 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by May 3, if there are ANY changes!!!
- Junior Boys: The 2013 session of Cornhusker Boys’ State, sponsored by the Nebraska American Legion, will be held June 2-8, 2013 on the City Campus of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Chosen delegates will check in at noon Sunday, June 2 and the session will finish at noon on Sunday, June 8. Delegates will not be excused from any part of the Boys’ State Session in order to participate in other activities during the week or to take the ACT. Interested junior boys can pick up the application form in the Counseling Center and return the completed form to Ms. Burk by Friday, February 1st, 2012.
- Junior Girls: The 2013 session of Cornhusker Girls’ State, sponsored by the Nebraska American Legion, will be held June 2-8, 2013 on the City Campus of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Chosen delegates will check in at noon Sunday, June 2 and the session will finish at noon on Sunday, June 8. Delegates will not be excused from any part of the Girls’ State Session in order to participate in other activities during the week or to take the ACT. Interested junior girls can pick up the application form in the Counseling Center and return the completed form to Ms. Burk by Friday, February 1st, 2012.
- *ATTENTION DRAMA CLUB/THEATRE SENIORS - Scholarship applications are NOW AVAILABLE for The Silver Hawk Theatre Scholarship from the counseling center and Mr. Bob in the Black Box Theatre classroom. Forms MUST be returned with appropriate information by March 8, 2013 to Mr.Bob. the scholarship will be awarded at the Theatre Banquet in May. The candidate does not need to be continuing in theatre studies in college to apply.
- Audition Materials are now available for the spring Musical - 42ND STREET - at the Theatre Box Office. Auditions will be held Jan. 28 & 29, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. Students need to attend only ONE audition session. For more information please call the Box Office at 402-436-1335
- Emeralds Tryout Meeting-February 12th in the A118 forum either at 7:15 am or 6:00 pm. Individuals who are interested in trying out for Emeralds must attend one of these meetings with a parent or guardian.
- Online Registration for 2013-14 Online Registration for 2013-14 will be available for students to access from January 9th through February 17th. This year, a Glog will be available for each grade level. A glog is graphic blog, which is an interactive multimedia image that looks similar to a poster, but readers of a Glog are able to interact with the content. The Registration Glog for each grade level contains instructional information about the online registration process, graduation requirements, college entrance requirements, and AP classes. Click here to view LPS Graduation Requirements.
- LSW students and their families have the option of registering for next year’s classes on their own. For students and their families who would like to receive assistance with the online registration process, counselors and Student Ambassadors will be available at the dates/times shown below:
Current 8th Graders 2/5/13 3:30 – 6:30
Current 8th Graders 2/7/13 3:30 – 6:30
- Friday, February 1, - Lincoln College of Technology – 1 p.m.
- Monday, February 25 – Hastings College – 10 a.m.