February 6, 2013 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- February 7 – Incoming 9th Grade Registration – 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- February 7 – Theatre Booster Parent Meeting – 7 p.m.
- February 11– Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7 p.m.
- February 12 – Pep Rally 9:30 a.m.
- February 23 – Science Olympiad – NE Regional Invitational – Omaha
- February 27 – WGDE Testing
- March 4 – Girls Basketball Banquet
- March 4 – Band/Orchestra Concert – 7 p.m.
- March 7 – FINALS
- March 8 – FINALS
- March 11 – 15 – NO SCHOOL – Spring Break
- March 18 – Boys Basketball Banquet
- March 19 – Wrestling Banquet
- March 21 – Honors Convocation – 8:15 a.m.
- All boys interested in trying out for baseball must attend a sign up meeting on Monday, February 18th in the A118 Forum at 3:15 p.m.
- Online registration for current freshmen through juniors has been extended until midnight on February 17th.
- Engineering Week Open House at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln - What : Open House complete with fun hands-on activities, keynote speaker Clayton Anderson, NASA Astronaut, laboratory tours, and a senior design fair.
When: Friday, April 12 @ 9 am -3 pm
Where: Othmer Hall (17th and Vine St.) Lincoln, NE
- The E-Week Open House is FREE. All activity materials will be provided, and free parking is available at the west entrance to the old state fair grounds near the Bob Devaney Center. Shuttles will run from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. between the parking lot and engineering facilities. Students should pack a lunch or bring $5 to purchase lunch from DaVinci’s. Additionally, E-Week t-shirts will be sold at $5.
Register Online by Friday, April 5 at www.eweek.unl.edu
Please see Ms. Burk in the Counseling Center for more information.
LUNCH FOR WEDNESDAY
- Breaded Chicken Pattie on Whole Grain Bun, Sloppy Joe on Whole Grain Bun or Fish Taco
SPORTS FOR WEDNESDAY
- Boys Freshman Basketball – LSE – 5:45 p.m.
- Girls Reserve Basketball – LSE – 5:45 p.m.
- Boys Reserve Basketball – LSE – 7:30 p.m.
- Girls Freshman Basketball – LSE – 7:30 p.m.
- Looking for a fun part-time job this summer? The Wildlife Safari in Ashland (between Lincoln and Omaha) is looking for part-time workers who are at least 16 years old. Positions will run from mid-spring to mid-fall. If you are considering a career in tourism, science, or public relations, this could be perfect for you! To apply, go to omahazoo.com and click on Careers/Volunteer. Complete the online application and email to email@example.com by March 14th. For more information, please see Ms. Burk in the Counseling Center.
- Students have until February 15th to complete the online registration process. For students who do not register, their classes will be selected for them & they will not have the opportunity to change the classes selected. There will be one FINAL registration assistance session held during P/T Conferences on Monday, February 11th at 4 to 7 p.m.
- Road Ready Driving School will offer Driver's Ed. classes at Southwest High School on May 6-17. Classroom times will be 3:30-6:00 and in-car driving times will be arranged after school and on Saturdays. A Learner's Permit is NOT required to take the classroom portion of the course. A learner's permit will be required to complete the in-car driving lessons. The cost is $298, this includes the book. Brochures are available in the office for more information and registration purposes or you can call 402-477-5933. You can also visit us on the web at www.roadready.biz for more information.
- Seniors & their families who would like assistance with completing the FAFSA may schedule an appointment at LSW with Anders Peterson, EducationQuest’s College Planning Specialist. A sign-up sheet is in the Counseling Center for times available on:
- Thursday, February 7th
- Thursday, February 21st
- Thursday, March 7th
- Thursday, March 28th
- Bring the items shown on the FAFSA Checklist, which is located at http://apps.educationquest.org/pdfs/FAFSAchecklist1314.pdf. If seniors & their families have questions about the FAFSA or financial aid, please contact EducationQuest’s 13th & O Street office at 402.475.5222 & select option 1 or email Anders at AndersP@educationquest.org.
- Applications for the 2013 Joyce Ivy Foundation Summer Scholars Program are available now and due March 15. Summer Scholars spend the summer at Barnard, Brown, Cornell, Emory, George Washington, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, MIT, NYU, Smith, and Stanford.
Who are Summer Scholars?
Summer Scholars are talented female high school students in Michigan, Ohio, Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Summer Scholars have demonstrated academic and leadership potential, and are typically in the top 10% of their high school class. Most Summer Scholars are current sophomores and juniors, though we will also accept applications from exceptional freshmen.
Summer Scholars come from a range of backgrounds, and scholarships are granted based on financial need. Typically 45% of the group comes from lower-income families, 45% from middle-income families, and 10% receive merit scholarships. Merit scholarships are granted to students who do not demonstrate financial need, but who have exceptional academic, intellectual, and leadership qualities.
How do students apply?
Instructions for completing the application are available on the Joyce Ivy Foundation website: www.joyceivyfoundation.org
Application Available Now
Deadline: March 15, 2013
Students must also apply directly to the college summer program, under separate deadlines. Visit the Joyce Ivy Foundation website to learn more.
- 2013 Graduates— Please check the list of 2013 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, by May 3, if there are ANY changes!!!
- ATTENTION DRAMA CLUB/THEATRE SENIORS - Scholarship applications are NOW AVAILABLE for The Silver Hawk Theatre Scholarship from the counseling center and Mr. Bob in the Black Box Theatre classroom. Forms MUST be returned with appropriate information by March 8, 2013 to Mr.Bob. the scholarship will be awarded at the Theatre Banquet in May. The candidate does not need to be continuing in theatre studies in college to apply.
- Emeralds Tryout Meeting-February 12th in the A118 forum either at 7:15 am or 6:00 pm. Individuals who are interested in trying out for Emeralds must attend one of these meetings with a parent or guardian.
- Online Registration for 2013-14 - Online Registration for 2013-14 will be available for students to access from January 9th through February 17th. This year, a Glog will be available for each grade level. A glog is graphic blog, which is an interactive multimedia image that looks similar to a poster, but readers of a Glog are able to interact with the content. The Registration Glog for each grade level contains instructional information about the online registration process, graduation requirements, college entrance requirements, and AP classes. Click here to view LPS Graduation Requirements.
LSW students and their families have the option of registering for next year’s classes on their own. For students and their families who would like to receive assistance with the online registration process, counselors and Student Ambassadors will be available at the dates/times shown below:
Current 8th Graders 2/7/13 3:30 – 6:30
- Monday, February 25 – Hastings College – 10 a.m.