April 4, 2013 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- April 4 – Cheer Parent Meeting along with cheerleaders – 6:00-8:00 p.m. in Commons
- April 4 – Theatre Booster Parent Meeting – 7:00-9:00p.m. in Black Box
- April 6 – Prom 8-12 a.m.
- April 7 – Post Prom 12-4 a.m.
- April 8-11 Color Guard/Flag Line Tryouts 6-8:30 p.m.
- April 9—NeSA Math test (11th Grade Only)
- April 11 – 42nd Street Performance – 7 p.m.
- April 12 – 42nd Street Performance – 7 p.m
- April 13 – Color Guard/Flag Line Tryouts 9 a.m. to 4 p.m..
- April 13 – 42nd Street Performance – 7 p.m.
- April 14 – Lincoln Area College Fair 1-3 p.m. @ SCC Lincoln Campus
- April 15 – NSAA Music Contest – NO SCHOOL
- April 16—NeSA Science test (11th Grade Only)
- April 16 – SCC Compass Test in B120 @ 2:15 p.m.
- April 18 – 42nd Street Performance – 7 p.m.
- April 19 – 42nd Street Performance – 7 p.m.
- April 20 - 42nd Street Performance – 7p.m.
- April 20 - Science Olympiad Nebraska State Meet - UNL
- April 20 – 42nd Street Performance – 7 p.m.
- April 22 – Parent Teacher Conferences – 4-7 p.m.
- April 23--ACT Testing for Juniors
- April 23 – NO SCHOOL for 9th, 10th, & 12th grade
- April 25—NHS Induction, 8:15 a.m.
- April 26—Flight Night, 7 p.m.
- April 29 - 8th Grade Visit Day
- May 10 - Swing Night - 6:00 p.m. in Commons
- May 16 - Senior Honors - 8:15 a.m. in Auditorium
- May 20 – Spring Recognition Pep Rally
- May 20 - Athletics Awards Ceremony – 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. in Commons
- May 22 - Final Exams Blocks 1 (9a.m. – 10:30 a.m.) & 2 (10:45 a.m. – 12:15 a.m.)
- May 23 - Final Exams Blocks 3 (9a.m. – 10:30 a.m.) & 2 (10:45 a.m. – 12:15 a.m.)
- May 25 - Graduation @ Pershing – 9:00 a.m.
- 2013 Academy and Military Information Day will be hosted by Senator Deb Fischer and Congressman Jeff Fortenberry at Lincoln Southwest on Saturday, April 20 from 9 am - noon. It is open to any high school students interested in the US Service Academies and other military opportunities. For more information, please contact Senator Fischer's office at 402-391-3411 or Congressman Fortenberry's office at 402-438-1598.
- UNMC is hosting a Summer Health Professions Career Workshop at UNMC in Omaha from July 30-August 2. This is open to students entering their junior year who have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and are interested in health professions. The total cost of the program is $275, which includes breakfast, lunch, and snacks during the day, program costs and fees, transportation while in Omaha, and chaperone and dorm room expenses. For more information or for an application, please see Ms. Burk in the Counseling Center.
- Lincoln Right to Life is hosting a pro-life speech contest on Saturday, April 13 at Lincoln Lutheran High School. Registration will start at 9:30 am. The theme is: Religious freedom and the HHS mandate - How does it affect the pro-life movement? For more information or to register, please visit http://www.lincolnrightolife.org, call 402-325-9252, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Cash prizes of up to $400 will be awarded.
- Goodwill is hiring for summer positions. Apply online at www.lincolngoodwill.org.
- Lincoln Industries is hosting a career open house on April 4th, from 4-8 pm. They are located at 600 West E St; please use the east entrance.
- HuskerVision is looking for incoming freshmen students to join their team next year. If you are interested in film and broadcasting, contact Amanda at email@example.com or call 402-472-8923. Applications will be accepted until April 12, 2013.
- The French 3 and 4 students did very well at the UNL Language Fair on Tuesday!
- Erynn Johnson received first place for poetry, level 2
- Abigail Stein received second place for poetry, level 2
- Shea Thompson received first place for the poster competition
- Makaria Kirianov was excellent in the folk dance competition and received a (superior) blue ribbon
- Zoe Tien gave an excellent performance in the music competition and received a (superior) blue ribbon
- Michael Clinch, Mariah Tupper and Justine Boucher received (very good) red ribbons for their performance in the music category
- Nessa Rae Cox received a (very good) red ribbon for her performance in the poetry competition
- What an awesome State HOSA Conference for Lincoln HOSA!!!
- We had numerous National qualifiers... National HOSA is June 26-29th in Nashville, TN.
- Ashlyn Saeger (LSW) GOLD MEDALIST and National Qualifier in Sports Medicine AND Nutrition Knowledge Test.
- Michelle Dixon (LSW) GOLD MEDALIST and National Qualifier in Medical Terminology.
- Supriya Reddy (LE) GOLD MEDALIST and National Qualifier in Researched Persuasive Speaking.
- Robin Sarik (LSW) GOLD MEDALIST and National Qualifier in Medical Reading.
- Thanh Vo (LSW) GOLD MEDALIST and National Qualifier in Job Seeking Skills AND Pharmacology Knowledge Test.
- Ali Love and Nadia Syed (LSW) SILVER MEDALISTS and National Qualifiers in Career Health Display
- Ericka Lyons (LSW) Kelsea Porter (LE) Supriya Reddy (LE), and Robin Sarik (LSW) SILVER MEDALISTS and National Qualifiers in Creative Problem Solving.
- Ericka Lyons (LSW) SILVER MEDALIST and National Qualifier in Nursing Assisting.
- Kelsea Porter (LE) SILVER MEDALIST and National Qualifier in Nutrition Knowledge Test.
- Supriya Reddy (LE) BRONZE MEDALIST and National Qualifier in Medical Reading.
- Erik Pawlowski (LSW) HONORABLE MENTION in Extemporaneous Health Poster.
- CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!
LUNCH FOR THURSDAY:
- Cheese Pizza on whole wheat crust, Hamburger on whole grain bun, & Oven roasted potatoes & Turkey Ham w/wheat roll
SPORTS FOR THURSDAY:
- 12:30 p.m. Varsity Track & Field Invitational vs. Kearney @ Kearney
- 1:00 p.m. Girls Varsity Soccer Heartland Athletic Conference Tournament vs. Grand Island @ Seacrest Field
- 1:00 p.m. Boys Varsity Soccer Heartland Athletic Conference Tournament vs. Lincoln Northeast @ GI Memorial Stadium
- 4:00 p.m. Girls JV Tennis Dual vs. Lincoln East @ Lincoln East (*rescheduled from 3-28)
- 4:00 p.m. Girls Reserve Tennis Dual vs. Lincoln East @ LSW (*rescheduled from 3-28)
- 5:00 p.m. Reserve Baseball vs. Beatrice @ LSW
- 5:00 p.m. Girls JV Soccer vs. Norfolk @ Abbott #13
- 5:00 p.m. Boys JV Soccer vs. Norfolk @ Abbott #14
- 7:30 p.m. Varsity Baseball Tournament vs. Millard South @ Millard West
- Seniors—if you ordered announcements, please make sure to pick them up in the main office.
- The LSW Dance-A-Thon hosted by National Honor Society to benefit the Lincoln’s Child Guidance Center on April 27th from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Register online at lswdance-a-thon.webs.com. Registration is open until Saturday, April 13th for a fee of $12, after this date the registration cost will be $15. There will be food, fun, and prizes! Come to compete or just come to watch! Either way you’ll have a blast!!
- Prom Ticket Sales: Prom tickets are $15. Please make sure all fines are paid in full. Tickets go on sale:
- Tuesday, April 2 – after school
- Wednesday, April 3- before school, noon, & after school
- Thursday, April 4 – before school and at noon
- Thursday is the last time to purchase tickets.
- StuCo Flight Night Announcement: Attention Southwest students - Plans are underway for this years' Flight Night! Are you a rising star just waiting to be discovered? Do you have talents you want to share? If you answered yes, then you'll want to sign up and audition for Flight Night - Southwest's main showcase for student talent!
- Flight Night is coming up quickly - If you are interested in either being an MC, or showing off your talent as an act, information and the sign-up sheets are located in A114 and the E-Wing Hall.
- Color GUARD/FLAG LINE TRYOUTS will be April 8th to April 11th from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the main gym, and on April 13th from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the main gym.
- Summer Opportunities/programs—make sure to check it out! Click on – Summer Opportunities or see the below web address: http://docushare.lps.org/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1368553/Student%20Opportunities%20March%2020%2c%202013%20Sheet1.pdf
- Spring football conditioning for those not out for a Spring sport is each Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday beginning at 3:20. Meet in the athletic hallway. Coach King
- TICKETS ARE ON SALE NOW! for the spring musical 42nd STREET. Adults $10 and Students $8 Call the Box Office at 402-436-1335. ALSO Join us BEFORE 42nd Street for our pre-event dinner at SYLVESTER's Hideaway SPEAKEASY. Cost is $25 per person and separate from your show ticket price. Dinners are offered Friday & Saturdays April 12,13 & 19, 20. Meal is from 5:45p.m. - 6:45 p.m. Deadline for reservations is APRIL 4 , 2013.
- The Lincoln Area College Fair will be held on Sunday, April 14, 1-3 p.m. at the SCC Lincoln campus. As with the fall fairs, students should bring their barcode to the college fair so college representatives can scan their demographic information. Students who do not have a barcode should register for one at NebraskaCollegeFairs.org.
- Seniors and juniors, if you have not registered for Scholarship Quest or any of the national college scholarship searches listed on the Counseling Center's website, please do so immediately as there are several new scholarships that have been listed this week. While the majority of scholarships are for current seniors, eligible juniors who are registered with the searches will be notified of opportunities available to them.
- Seniors interested in speaking in graduation should stop by the main office and pick up a form.
- Below is the list for review session for the AP US History exam on May 15th, these are optional:
Thursday 4/4 - 7:30 A112, Unit I
Thursday 4/11 - 3:15 A112, Unit II
Thursday 4/18 - 7:30 A112, Unit III
Thursday 4/25 - 3:15 A112, Unit IV
Thursday 5/2 - 7:30 A112, Unit V
Thursday 5/9 - 3:15 A112, Unit VI
Monday 5/13 - 7:30 A112, Unit VII
Tuesday 5/14 - 3:15 A112, Unit VIII
- Wednesday, April 17 – Northwest Missouri State University – 1:00 p.m.
- Monday, April 22 – Southeast Community College – 8:30 a.m.