October 23, 2013 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Oct. 23 – RGDE (late start)
- Oct. 23 – Softball Banquet 6-8 p.m.
- Oct. 24 – Boys Tennis Banquet 6-8p.m.
- Oct. 28 - Parent Wrestling Meeting 7-8p.m.
- Oct. 29 – Girls Golf Banquet 6-8 p.m.
- Oct. 30 – Fighting Hunger, 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 30 - Cross Country Banquet 6-9 p.m.
- Nov. 4 Winter Sports Parent Meeting 7-8:30 p.m.
- Nov. 6 Thespian meeting 4:30 p.m.
- Nov. 7 Drama Meeting 3:15 p.m.
- Nov. 7 10th grade parent meeting 6:30 p.m.
- Nov. 7 Theatre Booster Parent Meeting 7:00 p.m.
Pledge Readers for:
- Oct. 22 Matthew Pettit
- Oct. 23 Bo Els
- Oct. 24 Hunter Dowse
- Oct. 25 Trae Miller
- If anyone is interested in saying the pledge, please see the main office.
- “All students interested in computer programming, robotics, mobile app development, computer game development, digital video or other technology classes are invited to attend informational meetings at the Information Technology Focus Program on Tuesday, November 5th or Thursday, November 7th. Information concerning available computer classes as well as the registration process for second semester or next year will be provided. Both meetings begin at 7 p.m. and will be held at the ITFP, located on the fourth floor of the Southeast Community College Entrepreneurship Center, 285 S. 68th St. Pl. Parents and guardians are encouraged to attend. Call 436-1776 or visit the web site at “itfp.lps.org” for more information.”
LUNCH FOR : Wednesday October 23, 2013
- Whole Grain corn puppies
- Turkey ham & cheese rollie
- Sub sandwich
You have been Caught! YAY!
- Prize.: Alexandria Maynard
- Prize: Sydney Schneider
- 1st in lunch line: Jasmine Paulson
- Premier Parking: Taylen Stevens
SPORTS: GO HAWKS!!
- Thursday Oct. 24
- TBD Varsity Volleyball Heartland Athletic Conference tournament
- Friday Oct. 25
- 12:30 Varsity Cross Country @ Kearney Country Club
- 4:00 Reserve Volleyball @ LNS
- 8:00 VarsityFootball vs East High @ Seacrest
- See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events
- The Cooper Y will be holding its annual Halloween Party on Friday October 25, from 5:00-7:30 pm. We are looking for volunteers for this event to help with carnival style games from 4:00-8:00 pm. If you are interested in helping please contact Kim Pair firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-323-6408. We will have hot dogs and chips available for volunteers unless you would like to purchase pizza for $3.00 per slice or $5.00 for2 slices and a drink. You are welcome to dress up but because this event is geared toward small children please do not wear a scary costume.
All students are encouraged to attend the College Fair at SECC this next Sunday, October 27th from 1-3 pm. Doors open at 1 pm. and you are encouraged to register yourself at www.educationquest.org so you can scan upon entering the building! Over 120 colleges from NE and the midwest participate. See you there!
- Girls Basketball meeting will be held Oct. 22 at 2:10 in the PE room D-23
- LSW Bowling Team is announcing tryouts on November 4th from 4:00pm-5:30pm Cost $20.00
- (make checks payable to LSW BOWLING) at Sun Valley Lanes off O street and Sun Valley Blvd.
- Bowling season starts November 4th- February 2014. We welcome students in all skill levels to tryout. Cost for the entire season is $210.00. If any students are interested please have them contact Renee Okazaki Managing parent rep at email@example.com
Students help SWHS win $100,000 and a concert by Grammy Award winning artist Kelly Clarkson! SWHS is participating in the "Celebrate My Drive" contest which starts on Friday, Oct. 18 and goes through Saturday, Oct. 26th. This is all part of National Teen Driver Safety Week, Oct. 18-26. Be ready to garner online safe driving commitments from everyone 14 years of age and older to help us win by "clicking" voting once a day . Please visit www.celebratemydrive.com to vote!
- We have the following college visits for the month of October:
- Vanderbilt University Mon., Oct. 21st 10:00 a.m.
- Coe College Tues., Oct. 22nd 1:00 p.m.
- University of Kansas Thur., Oct. 24th 1:00 p.m.
- Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture Mon., Oct. 28th 9:00 a.m.
- William Jewell College Tues., Oct. 29th 1:00 p.m.
- Clarkson College Wed., Oct. 30th 10:00 a.m.
- Did you know that the Lincoln City Libraries offers free homework assistance with online tutors, interactive chalkboard, & other features that are available to students from 2 to 4 pm daily? All students need to have s a library card. For those students who are worried about past fines, they can receive a waiver for $200 in fines accumulated before age 17. The Lincoln City Libraries also offers online test prep programs for the ACT, SAT, PSAT, & AP Exams. In addition to the Lincoln City Libraries, the counselors have also put together a list of additional academic resources for students, including additional options for online homework assistance. This resource sheet is available in the Counseling Center.
- Students are reminded to check the Counseling Center website.
- There are also links for following the Counseling Center on Pinterest, becoming a Facebook Fan, & registering for Zoho text message updates. Seniors will find links to scholarship searches for ScholarshipQuest and national search sites.
- Recent postings include info for the following opportunities:
- 2014 Youth Senate Program
- Wendy's High School Heisman Program
- Runza | KLKN Student-Athlete of the Month
- NLAC (Nebraska Latino American Commission) Essay Contest
- National Honor Society offers peer tutoring in all subject areas every Tuesday in the media center during PLC’s. If Tuesday’s don’t work for your schedule, or need additional help, fill out a Tutor Request Form to be paired with a one on one tutor. Forms can be found in the Media Center, Main Office, or the counseling center. Contact Chris Salem for any questions.
- The Secret Garden fall musical tickets are on sale. Sept. 26,27, and 28th at 7 p.m. $10.00 for adults and $8.00 for students. Call the Box for reservations and information. 402-436-1335
“Nothing is impossible, the word itself says I’m possible”