October 30, 2013 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Oct. 30 – Fighting Hunger, 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 30 - Cross Country Banquet 6-9 p.m.
- Nov. 4 Winter Sports Parent Meeting 7-8:30 p.m.
- Nov. 6 Thespian meeting 4:30 p.m.
- Nov. 7 Drama Meeting 3:15 p.m.
- Nov. 7 10th grade parent meeting 6:30 p.m.
- Nov. 7 Theatre Booster Parent Meeting 7:00 p.m.
Pledge Readers for:
- Oct. 30 Joseph Vampola
- Oct. 31 Lauren Ayars
- Nov. 1 Morgan Ellison
If anyone is interested in saying the pledge, please see the main office J
- The annual Nebraska Youth Beef Leadership Symposium will be held at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Animal Science Complex on November 22-24. The symposium is designed to introduce youth to careers opportunities and current issues in the beef industry, as well as offer education and practice in the use of leadership skills. For the second year, the NYBLS planning committee is inviting freshman and sophomores to participate in an effort to reach students at an earlier point in their high school years, as well as continuing to give them a quality hands-on program, the schedule and program have expanded into two sessions. The first will be geared toward freshman and sophomore students, held on Friday and Saturday. They will:
- get more of an introduction to the beef industry interaction with faculty about the current research, meat science, beef quality assurance, and marketing introduction to careers.
- will have the ability to put their team and leadership skills to work by completing a project
- will have the opportunity to do an infomercial about beef and the benefits of beef in the diet.
- At the Saturday luncheon we will conclude the first group sessions and the participants will show their final projects to parents and guests. Saturday and Sunday's sessions will be geared toward junior and senior high school students. This will follow the traditional route of NYBLS - more in-depth information about the beef industry, meat science, marketing and the opportunity to work with a professional chef. Teams will take in presentations, but will also have the opportunity to work with the chef to create a new beef dish utilizing beef flavor profiles. The culmination will be presentations in a "booth" atmosphere where UNL students and faculty can also interact with the groups about their projects.
- Four $500 CASNR Scholarships will be awarded to junior/senior participants!!! Your room and all meals are provided!
- To hold your spot in the Nebraska Beef Youth Leadership Symposium, complete the registration form and send them along with a check for the $30 registration fee by October 31st, 2013. The registration fee, after October 31st and no later than November 8th, is $50. http://animalscience.unl.edu/web/anisci/ANSCExtensionYouthProgramNYBLS
LUNCH FOR : Wednesday, October 30, 2013
- MESQUITE ROASTED CHICKEN WITH A WHOLE WHEAT ROLL
- SALISBURY STEAK WITH A WHOLE WHEAT ROLL
- TACO BURGER
You have been Caught!
- Prize.: Courtney Bertwell
- Prize: Jessie McCloy
- 1st in lunch line: Ashley Peiman
- Premier Parking: Jeremy Campbell
SPORTS: GO HAWKS!
Oct. 30, 2013
4:00 JV Volley ball LPS Championship @ SE
5:30 JV Volleyball @ Lincoln High
6:30 Varsity Volleyball @ Lincoln High
Varsity Football State – TBD
See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events
- Interested in volunteering? We are looking for a few volunteers to help with the Free Document Shred Day on Saturday, Nov 2 from 8:30 - 10:30 am. (FYI - The Husker vs Northwestern game starts at 2:30pm so you'll be done long before kick-off!) Volunteers will assist people with unloading materials from their vehicles if necessary and perhaps direct traffic flow. We will provide safety vests....3-4 volunteers per site should be enough. Let us know in the main office if you are interested.
- SENIORS…make sure you turn in your senior pictures before Oct. 31st!
- “All students interested in computer programming, robotics, mobile app development, computer game development, digital video or other technology classes are invited to attend informational meetings at the Information Technology Focus Program on Tuesday, November 5th or Thursday, November 7th. Information concerning available computer classes as well as the registration process for second semester or next year will be provided. Both meetings begin at 7 p.m. and will be held at the ITFP, located on the fourth floor of the Southeast Community College Entrepreneurship Center, 285 S. 68th St. Pl. Parents and guardians are encouraged to attend. Call 436-1776 or visit the web site at “itfp.lps.org” for more information.”
- LSW Bowling Team is announcing tryouts on November 4th from 4:00pm-5:30pm Cost $20.00(make checks payable to LSW BOWLING) at Sun Valley Lanes off O street and Sun Valley Blvd. Bowling season starts November 4th- February 2014. We welcome students in all skill levels to tryout. Cost for the entire season is $210.00. If any students are interested please have them contact Renee Okazaki Managing parent rep at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Help support Southwest Forensics…“Express Yourself” Indoor/outdoor Triathlon Saturday Oct. 26th at SW! 75 minutes of Fitness and FUN! Sign up with Mrs. Heimes
- LSW student council will be hosting our annual Frighting Hunger event to benefit the Food Bank on October 30th from 6-8pm in the wrestling room. Frighting Hunger is an event where children from the community can come to Southwest's wrestling room to enjoy a safe environment with games, treats, and other activities.
- We have the following college visits for the month of October:
- Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture Mon., Oct. 28th 9:00 a.m.
- William Jewell College Tues., Oct. 29th 1:00 p.m.
- AIB College of Business - Des Moines Tues., Oct. 29th 10:00 a.m.
- Clarkson College Wed., Oct. 30th 10:00 a.m.
- University of Nebraska Multicultural Thur., Oct. 31st 9:00 a.m.
- Vassar College Fri., Nov. 1st 1:00 p.m.
- Buena Vista Mon., Nov. 4th 9:00 a.m.
- Kansas State University Mon., Nov. 4th 10:00 a.m.
- Creighton Tues., Nov. 5th 1:00 p.m.
- University of Nebraska Omaha Thur., Nov. 7th 9:00 a.m.
- Peru State Tues., Nov. 19th 9:00 a.m.
- Did you know that the Lincoln City Libraries offers free homework assistance with online tutors, interactive chalkboard, & other features that are available to students from 2 to 4 pm daily? All students need to have s a library card. For those students who are worried about past fines, they can receive a waiver for $200 in fines accumulated before age 17.
- The Lincoln City Libraries also offers online test prep programs for the ACT, SAT, PSAT, & AP Exams. In addition to the Lincoln City Libraries, the counselors have also put together a list of additional academic resources for students, including additional options for online homework assistance. This resource sheet is available in the Counseling Center.
- Students are reminded to check the Counseling Center website.
- There are also links for following the Counseling Center on Pinterest, becoming a Facebook Fan, & registering for Zoho text message updates. Seniors will find links to scholarship searches for ScholarshipQuest and national search sites. Recent postings include info for the following opportunities:
- 2014 Youth Senate Program
- Wendy's High School Heisman Program
- Runza | KLKN Student-Athlete of the Month
- NLAC (Nebraska Latino American Commission) Essay Contest
- National Honor Society offers peer tutoring in all subject areas every Tuesday in the media center during PLC’s. If Tuesday’s don’t work for your schedule, or need additional help, fill out a Tutor Request Form to be paired with a one on one tutor. Forms can be found in the Media Center, Main Office, or the counseling center. Contact Chris Salem for any questions.
- It’s not about having the skill to do something. It is about having the will, desire, and commitment to be your best. Robert Hernandez