December 2, 2013 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Dec. 2 Baseball winter conditioning meeting in A118 Forum (20 minutes)
- Dec. 3 Football Banquet 6:00- 9:30
- Dec. 5 Theatre Booster meeting – Aud @ 7:00 p.m.
- Dec. 6 Winter formal 6:00p.m.
- Dec. 10 Hawks Food Market/Rob’s Closet
- Dec. 12 – 14 Winter play- Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus
- Dec. 16 Concert @ 6:30pm –main gym
Pledge Readers for:
- Dec. 2 Connor Sudik
- Dec. 3 Erika Etzelmiller
- Dec. 4 Trey Anderson
- Dec. 5 Braxton Tonniges
If anyone is interested in saying the pledge, please see the main office
- Attention Friendship Club members: we will have our next planning meeting on Tuesday December 3rd at 7:30 a.m. in B116. Please come ready to plan our Friendship Club activity for December.
- RESERVED TICKETS will go on sale December 2 for the Alumni/Current Student Revue, ENCORE 7. Performances are January 2,3,4, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are a FREE WILL donation of $10. Come to the Box Office or call 402-436-1335 for reservations and information.
- Seniors: UNL Admissions will be here on 12/2/13 to assist any student that has NOT completed the application process to UNL. The session will be held in C113 at 8:00 A.M. Students can bring a method of payment for the app fee if they do not qualify for free/reduced lunch. Students can also bring their official transcripts and the representative will take to the admissions office. They may want to bring an unofficial transcript as well in case they don't remember which courses they've taken in high school. If students have ideas for their personal statement essays the UNL staff can help them work on those. See Mr. Ernst in the Counseling Center for a pass.
LUNCH FOR : Monday, December 2
- French Toast Sticks with sausage links
- Turkey burger on whole grain bun
- Chicken & Rotini
- Vegetarian- French toast sticks with cheese sticks
SPORTS: GO HAWKS!
- Girls Varsity Basketball Marian @ Creighton Prep High School At 5:15 p.m.
- Girls JV “ “ “ “ “ “ “ at 7:00 p.m.
- Boys JV Basketball Crieghton Prep @ Creighton Prep High School at 5:15 p.m.
- Boys Varsity “ “ “ “ “ “ “ at 7:00 p.m.
- Swimming & Diving Varsity Dual VS Lincoln East @ LSW at 6:00p.m.
- Boys Basketball JV and Varsity Tournament
- Girls Basketball JV and Varsity Tournament
- Boys Freshman Basketball Jamboree @ Lincoln High at 9:00 a.m.
- Girls Reserve Basketball game @ Northeast High- North gym at 9:00 a.m.
- Girls Freshman Jamboree @ LSW starting at 9:00 a.m.
- Freshman, JV and Varsity Wrestling invitational @ Kearney at 9:30
- Boys Reserve BasketBall @ LNE north gym at 10:30 a.m.
- Swimming & Diving Varsity dual at 4p.m. @ SW
- Freshman Boys basketball at 5:45 @ SE North gym
- Girls Reserve basketball at 5:45 @ SE
- Boys Reserve basketball at 7:30 @ SE – Prasch gym
- Freshman Girls basketball at 7:30 @ SE North gym
- Freshman Wrestling at 5:00 @ NE- North gym
See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events
We have the following college visits for the month of November/December:
- Naval Academy ( David Digier) Mon., Nov. 25th 9:00 a.m.
- Midland University Mon., Dec. 2nd 9:00 a.m.
- Calling any student who likes to draw…SW would like to participate in a Make-A-Wish chalk festival fundraiser in the Railyard in the Haymarket, this spring. We were wondering if anyone would be interested in gathering a group of students to be the artists. You all would represent SW by designing and drawing a mural out of chalk. Our school would get an assigned section of sidewalk to create a mural. The fundraiser would be raising money for Make-A-Wish and the goal would be to grant one child's wish. The competition would be a vote on each of the school's murals. The winner would get all the funds that were raised and get to put their name on the final donation. If you were interested in participating, the cost would be $5 per artist. That money would go towards buying supplies for the artists, any left over would go straight into the pool to be won. If cost is a problem, we can work something out. Please see Mr. Mark Reeder.
- Winter Ball - Winter Ball is December 6th from 6-10 p.m. in the commons. Dinner/Dance tickets are $20 and are for sale November 18 through November 22nd after school and on November 25th and 26th before, during the noon hour and after school. Tickets may be purchased in front of the trophy case. At the time of purchase students will need to choose their entree for their meal. Meals choices are: Eggplant Parmesan or Marinated Chicken.
- Students interested in purchasing only dance tickets will do so December 2 through December 6 after school till 3:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased in front of the trophy case. Students will be responsible for paying all media and student fines before purchasing a ticket. Join us for a night of fun!
- There will be a preseason track and field meeting on Monday, November 25 at 3:15 pm in the A120 forum for all track and field athletes not participating in a winter sport. If you are unable to attend, please see Coach Schuster in the A117 TPC before or after school to receive the information.
- Baseball Winter Conditioning Meeting - Monday, Dec. 2nd- 3:15, in A118 Forum (20 minutes). All those NOT out for a winter sport are invited to attend. Conditioning will begin Monday, Dec. 9.
- Girls in grade 11 who are excellent at math and science are encouraged to apply for the Women's Technology Program at MIT this summer. For more details about the 4 week workshop and the admissions details, please visit their website: http://wtp.mit.edu/application.html The application is due January 1, 2014.
- Tickets are on sale NOW for the Silver Hawk Theatre's winter production - YES VIRGINIA, THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS. $10 for Adults and $8 for Students. Inspired by a simple, poignant letter written over 100 years ago by 8-year-old Virginia O'Hanlon to the editor of the NEW YORK SUN Newspaper - and by the timeless editorial response printed on the front page of the SUN. Start your holiday season off with this soon to become holiday classic! And tell your young siblings, neighbors and cousins that there will be a SANTA BREAKFAST on Saturday, December 14 from 9-11am. They won't want to miss a chance to tell Santa what is on their Christmas List!!!! Call the box office for reservations and more information. 402-436-1335
- The Lincoln City Libraries also offers online test prep programs for the ACT, SAT, PSAT, & AP Exams. In addition to the Lincoln City Libraries, the counselors have also put together a list of additional academic resources for students, including additional options for online homework assistance. This resource sheet is available in the Counseling Center.
- Students are reminded to check the Counseling Center website.
- There are also links for following the Counseling Center on Pinterest, becoming a Facebook Fan, & registering for Zoho text message updates. Seniors will find links to scholarship searchesfor ScholarshipQuest and national search sites.
Recent postings include info for the following opportunities:
- 2014 Youth Senate Program
- Wendy's High School Heisman Program
- Runza | KLKN Student-Athlete of the Month
- NLAC (Nebraska Latino American Commission) Essay Contest
- National Honor Society offers peer tutoring in all subject areas every Tuesday in the media center during PLC’s. If Tuesday’s don’t work for your schedule, or need additional help, fill out a Tutor Request Form to be paired with a one on one tutor. Forms can be found in the Media Center, Main Office, or the counseling center. Contact Chris Salem for any questions.
Never do something permanently foolish just because you are temporarily upset.