December 12, 2013 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Dec. 12 – 14 Winter play- Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus
- Dec. 14 Santa Breakfast, ACT , Booster store holiday hours 5-9p.m.
- Dec. 16 Concert @ 6:30pm –main gym
- Dec. 19-20 Finals
- Dec. 23 – Jan 3 Winter break, no school
- Dec. 24- Jan. 3 London Trip (band)
7:50-8:55 Final Exam Preparation
9:00-10:30 Block 1 Exam
10:45-12:15 Block 2 Exam
12:15-3:30 Test make-up if necessary
7:50-8:55 Final Exam Preparation
9:00-10:30 Block 3 Exam
10:45-12:15 Block 4 Exam
12:15-3:30 Test make-up if necessary
Pledge Readers for:
- Dec. 9 Tristen Williams
- Dec. 10 Baxton Tonniges
- Dec. 11 Hannah Howerter
- Dec. 12 Justin Mescher
- Dec. 13 Tommy Anderson
If anyone is interested in saying the pledge, please see the main office J
- 2014 Graduates — Please check the list of potential 2014 graduates posted on the Attendance Officewindow to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, if there are ANY changes.
LPSDO has announced a partnership between the Lincoln Public Schools and BrightBytes. The goal of this partnership will be to collect data on how the district is using technology to impact learning. LPS is requesting that staff, students, and parents take part in a brief questionnaire (approximately 5 mins) that will help BrightBytes paint a clearer picture of technology use at school and at home. Your participation is important and will make the difference in having a more complete understanding of technology use in our District. Please know that all of your responses will remain anonymous to protect your privacy. The last day to complete this questionnaire is Friday, December 20th.
To get to the LSW Parent survey simply go to: http://survey.brightbytes.net/s3/9974301d9a79
LUNCH FOR : Thursday, December 12
- Whole grain spaghetti with meat sauce & whole wheat garlic bread
- Breaded pork sandwich on whole grain bun
- Turkey burger on whole grain bun
- Vegetarian- meatless spaghetti with garlic bread
You have been Caught! YAY!
- Prize.: Miklya Schalch
- Prize: Cody Inman
- 1st in lunch line: McCain Reed
- Premier Parking: Brad Campbell
SPORTS: GO HAWKS!
- Swimming & Diving Varsity dual at 4p.m. @ SW
- Freshman Boys basketball at 5:45 @ SE North gym
- Girls Reserve basketball at 5:45 @ SE
- Boys Reserve basketball at 7:30 @ SE – Prasch gym
- Freshman Girls basketball at 7:30 @ SE North gym
- Freshman Wrestling at 5:00 @ NE- North gym
- JV Boys basketball at 6pm @ Norfolk
- Varsity Boys Basketball at 7:45 @ Norfolk
- Varsity Girls Basketball at 6:00 @ Norfolk
- JV Girls Basketball at 7:45 @ Norfolk
- Girls Reserve Basketball at 9:00 a.m. @ LSW
- JV Wrestling Tournament at 9:00 a.m. @ Holdrege High School
- Girls Freshman Basketball at 10:30 @ LSW
- Varsity swimming and diving invitational at 11:00 @ Columbus Aquatic Center
- Varsity Wrestling Tournament at 12:00 @ Holdrege High School
- JV Boys Basketball at 5:45 @ LSW
- Varsity Girls Basketball at 5:45 @ LSW
- JV Girls Basketball at 7:30 @ LSW
- Varsity Boys Basketball at 7:30 @ LSW
- Varsity swimming and diving Dual at 4p.m.
- Freshman Boys Basketball at 5:45 @LSW
- Reserve Girls Basketball at 5:45 @LSW
- JV and Freshman Wrestling Dual at 6:00 @ LNE- North gym
- Varsity Wrestling Dual at 7:00 @ LNE- North gym
- Reserve Boys Basketball at 7:30 @ LSW- Practice gym
- Freshman Girls Basketball at 7:30 @ LSW – Main gym
- Reserve Boys Basketball at 7:00 @ LSW – main gym
See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events: http://www.heartlandathleticconference.org/g5-bin/client.cgi
- Any girls interested in playing tennis this spring, Meet Dec. 12 @ 3:10 in A102.
- Students who took the PSAT Test in October your results are now available. Please pick them up in the Counseling Center before or after school or during your lunch period.
- The December Hawks With A Heart Food Market will be open for business on Tuesday, December 10th from 2-3:30pm in the A118 forum. Students, staff and families are invited to come and get food items at no cost. Simply sign in and shop. Gently used clothing from Rob's Closet will also be available. Questions? Please see a member of the Counseling Center staff.
- RESERVED TICKETS will go on sale December 2 for the Alumni/Current Student Revue, ENCORE 7. Performances are January 2,3,4, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are a FREE WILL donation of $10. Come to the Box Office or call 402-436-1335 for reservations and information.
- Seniors: UNL Admissions will be here on 12/2/13 to assist any student that has NOT completed the application process to UNL. The session will be held in C113 at 8:00 A.M. Students can bring a method of payment for the app fee if they do not qualify for free/reduced lunch. Students can also bring their official transcripts and the representative will take to the admissions office. They may want to bring an unofficial transcript as well in case they don't remember which courses they've taken in high school. If students have ideas for their personal statement essays the UNL staff can help them work on those. See Mr. Ernst in the Counseling Center for a pass.
- Calling any student who likes to draw…SW would like to participate in a Make-A-Wish chalk festival fundraiser in the Railyard in the Haymarket, this spring. We were wondering if anyone would be interested in gathering a group of students to be the artists. You all would represent SW by designing and drawing a mural out of chalk. Our school would get an assigned section of sidewalk to create a mural. The fundraiser would be raising money for Make-A-Wish and the goal would be to grant one child's wish. The competition would be a vote on each of the school's murals. The winner would get all the funds that were raised and get to put their name on the final donation. If you were interested in participating, the cost would be $5 per artist. That money would go towards buying supplies for the artists, any left over would go straight into the pool to be won. If cost is a problem, we can work something out. Please see Mr. Mark Reeder.
- Girls in grade 11 who are excellent at math and science are encouraged to apply for the Women's Technology Program at MIT this summer. For more details about the 4 week workshop and the admissions details, please visit their website: http://wtp.mit.edu/application.html The application is due January 1, 2014.
- Tickets are on sale NOW for the Silver Hawk Theatre's winter production - YES VIRGINIA, THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS. $10 for Adults and $8 for Students. Inspired by a simple, poignant letter written over 100 years ago by 8-year-old Virginia O'Hanlon to the editor of the NEW YORK SUN Newspaper - and by the timeless editorial response printed on the front page of the SUN. Start your holiday season off with this soon to become holiday classic! And tell your young siblings, neighbors and cousins that there will be a SANTA BREAKFAST on Saturday, December 14 from 9-11am. They won't want to miss a chance to tell Santa what is on their Christmas List!!!! Call the box office for reservations and more information. 402-436-1335
- The Lincoln City Libraries also offers online test prep programs for the ACT, SAT, PSAT, & AP Exams. In addition to the Lincoln City Libraries, the counselors have also put together a list of additional academic resources for students, including additional options for online homework assistance. This resource sheet is available in the Counseling Center.
- Students are reminded to check the Counseling Center website.
- There are also links for following the Counseling Center on Pinterest, becoming a Facebook Fan, & registering for Zoho text message updates. Seniors will find links to scholarship searchesfor ScholarshipQuest and national search sites.
Recent postings include info for the following opportunities:
- 2014 Youth Senate Program
- Wendy's High School Heisman Program
- Runza | KLKN Student-Athlete of the Month
- NLAC (Nebraska Latino American Commission) Essay Contest
- National Honor Society offers peer tutoring in all subject areas every Tuesday in the media center during PLC’s. If Tuesday’s don’t work for your schedule, or need additional help, fill out a Tutor Request Form to be paired with a one on one tutor. Forms can be found in the Media Center, Main Office, or the counseling center. Contact Chris Salem for any questions.
Never do something permanently foolish just because you are temporarily upset.