January 24, 2014 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Jan. 28 Registration assistance for next year C-113
- Feb. 5 State Thespian meeting, 4:30p.m.
- Feb. 6 Theatre Booster Parent meeting
- Feb. 8 Show Choir Show Down
- Feb. 12 WGDE Test
- Feb. 13 Pep Rally, 9:30 a.m.
- Feb. 13 Drama club meeting at 3:15 p.m.
- Potential Emeralds tryout meeting at 7:15 a.m. or 6:00 p.m.
Pledge Readers for:
- Jan. 23 Andrew E Mwesigwa-wan solo
- Jan. 24 Carter Knopik
If anyone is interested in saying the pledge, please see the main office J
LUNCH FOR: Friday, January 24
- Chicken Fingers with whole grain biscuit
- Hamburger on whole grain bun
- BBQ shredded pork sandwich on a whole grain bun
- Vegetarian: Vegetable pizza on whole wheat crust
You have been Caught! YAY!
Prize.: Ashley Levinson
Prize: Makenna Widholm
1st in lunch line: Matthew Hakel
SPORTS: GO HAWKS!
- JV boys basketball and Girls Varsity Basketball (main gym) at 5:45 p.m. @ LSW
- JV Girls basketball and Boys Varsity Basketball (main gym) at 7:30 p.m. @ LSW
- Freshman Girls basketball at 9 a.m. @ LSW
- Varsity Wrestling at 9:00 a.m. @ Lexington High
- Freshman Boys Basketball at 10:30 a.m. @ LSW
- JV Girls Basketball at 1:45 @ Omaha Central High
- JV Boys Basketball at 3:30 @ Omaha Central High
- Varsity Girls Basketball at 5:15 p.m. @ Omaha Central High
- Varsity Boys Basketball at 7:00 p.m. @ Omaha Central High
- JV Girls Basketball at 5:45 p.m. @ Omaha NW
- JV Boys Basketball at 7:15 p.m. @ Omaha NW
- Varsity Girls Basketball at 5:30 p.m. @ Omaha NW
- Freshman Girls Basketball at 5:45 p.m. @ Lincoln High
- Freshman Boys Basketball at 5:45 p.m. @ LSW
- Varsity Swimming & Diving at 4:45 p.m. @ LSW
- Varsity Boys Basketball at 7:15 p.m. @ Omaha NW
- Reserve Girls Basketball at 7:30 p.m. @ Lincoln High
- Reserve Girls Basketball at 7:30 p.m. @ LSW
- Swimming and Diving at 4:00 p.m. @ LSW
- JV Boys Basketball at 5:45 p.m. @ LSW
- Varsity Girls at 5:45 p.m. @ LSW
- JV Girls Basketball at 7:30 p.m. @ LSW
- Varsity Boys Basketball at 7:30 p.m. @ LSW
See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events
We have the following college visits for the month of January/February:
- ATTENTION SENIORS! Applications are now available for the Silver Hawk Theatre Scholarship. The deadline is March 7, 2014. Forms may be picked up in the Black Box or from the Counseling Center. The scholarship will be awarded at the theatre banquet held in May, 2014.
- All students are invited to participate in the AMC (American Mathematics Contest). This is a nationwide contest that tests student's problem solving skills. It is a 25 question multiple-choice contest. The contest will be Tuesday, February 4th during 4th block at Southwest in the Auditorium. If you would like to participate, you need to talk to your math teacher, or Mr. DeVries, before Friday, January 31st so that your name can be added to the excused list for next Tuesday. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact your math teacher, or Mr. DeVries.
- For those interested: The LSW Trap Shooting team will be holding a mandatory parent/shooter meeting January 28th at 7:00 PM at the Lincoln Izaak Walton League at 10801 So. 134th Street (approx. ½ mile south of 134th street and Nebraska Highway 2 east of Lincoln).
- Emeralds Tryout Meeting: Tuesday, February 25th at 7:15 am OR 6:00 pm
- Potential Emerald AND a parent or guardian must attend meeting
- Tryout Forms Due: Friday, March 7th
- Emeralds Interviews: Wednesday, March 26th
- Learn Tryout Dance: Thursday, March 27th
- Tryouts: Friday, March 28th
Lincoln Lacrosse Spring Registration Meetings - Informational meetings for the Spring High School Lacrosse season will be held at the Walt Public Library in Lincoln (next to the YMCA South) on Tuesday January 28th or Thursday January 30th, 2014. The meeting will start at 6:30. To find out more information visit our web site lincolnlax.net.
LPS high school students are now able to apply online for over 150 scholarships available through the Foundation for LPS at www.foundationforlps.org/ScholarshipApplication. Scholarships range from $250 to $10,000. All applications must be submitted online regardless of what the criteria stated in the past. Students create an application profile and the software will direct them to specific scholarships they may be eligible for. Multiple copies of required documents will no longer be necessary since these items (i.e. transcripts, letters of recommendations, etc.) can be uploaded to their profile/application(s) once and linked to multiple scholarships. Applications are due by March 7.
EducationQuest will be presenting webinars on the dates listed below for parents and students to learn about the basics of financial aid and how to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To connect, please the link that works for your schedule.
Monday, January 13 - 7:00 pm (CT) * Webinar link: http://eqf.org/1bpaM8Z
Wednesday, January 15 - 7:00 pm (CT) * Webinar link: http://eqf.org/1cOH1S5
Wednesday, February 12 -12:00 p.m. (CT) * Webinar link: http://eqf.org/1himQgz
To join the Webinar, click on the link under your desired date. The password is Presentation.Attention all you travelers! There will be informational meetings to learn about the fall break 2014 trip to Japan on Sunday, January 12th and Monday, January 13th at Lux Middle School. We will provide the same facts and tips about the trip at both meetings, so you need to attend only one. The Sunday meeting starts at 2 PM and the Monday meeting is at 5 PM. Please come to the Lux Multi-purpose room to get started on a trip of a lifetime! See Mrs. Mercure or Mrs. Sypal if you have any questions.
The 2014-15 Online Registration will be available to students during January 6th - 31st. Before registering, students and their families will want to review the materials provided on the LSW Home Page, which includes access to the instructions and link for accessing the online registration site, LSW Planning Guide, and and an informational power point for each grade level. The power point for each grade level includes instructional information about the online registration process, graduation requirements, college entrance requirements, and AP (Advanced Placement) classes.
As in previous years, students and families may register on their own or attend one of the registration assistance sessions shown below:
- January 21st * Current 9th-11th Grades Registration Assistance Session
- PLC Time * LSW Media Center Lab
- January 28th * Current 9th-11th Grades Registration Assistance Session
- PLC Time * LSW Media Center Lab
- February 4th & 6th * Current 8th Grade Registration Assistance Sessions
3:30 - 6:30 pm * LSW Media Center Lab & Scott Middle School
Audition materials are NOW available for the spring musical - ANYTHING GOES. Auditions will be held on January 27 & 28 at 7:00 p.m. $1 is needed per packet to help cover duplication costs. CREW FORMS will need to be returned NO LATER than January 28 at 7pm to be considered for this show. Auditions are CLOSED - Only students auditioning need to attend.
2014 Graduates— Please check the list of potential 2014 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, if there are ANY changes.