April 15, 2014 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- April 10-12, 17-19 Anything Goes Performance, 7 pm
- April 15 NeSa For 11th graders
- April 18 No school
- April 21 Last day for pass/fail
- April 22 Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7pm
- April 23 ACT test for all 11 grade students, No school for 9th, 10th, and 12th
- April 24 NHS Induction, 8:15am
- April 24 Blood drive
- April 24 Forensics Banquet 6-9pm
- April 24 Flight Night Rehearsal
- April 25-26 Flight Night 7pm
- April 26 Electronic Drive 9am-1pm
- April 26 Speech & Debate garage sale 8am-4pm, commons
- April 29 Incoming 8th grade visits
- May 1 Drama Club Meeting 7pm
- May 2 Swing night 6pm
- May 5 Music Banquet 6pm
Pledge Readers for
- April 14 Matthew Pettit
- April 15
- April 16 Matthew Pettit
- April 17 Matthew Pettit
- April 18
If anyone is interested in saying the pledge, please see the main office
- Any current freshman interested in being selected to participate in "Youth Leadership Lincoln" should pick up an application form either in the office or in the counseling center. Youth Leadership Lincoln is a program that workds to enhance the knowledge and leadership skills of area high school students by motivating and empowering them to be committed to their community. Applications including all references and permission forms must be submitted to Leadership Lincoln by Fri. May 16th!
LUNCH FOR: Tuesday, April 15
- Sloppy joe on whole grain bun
- Orange popcorn chicken on brown rice
- Turkey noodle casserole
- Vegetarian: Veggie burger on a whole grain bun
You have been Caught!
- Prize: Alyssa Lee
- Prize: Summer Schultz
- 1st in lunch line:
- Premier Parking: Justin Mescher
SPORTS: GO HAWKS!
- Reserve Girls Tennis Dual vs Lincoln Northstar @ LSW at 4:00pm
- JV Girls Tennis vs North Star @ North Star High at 4:00pm
- JV Baseball vs Northeast @ Den Hartog Baseball field at 5:00pm
- Freshman Baseball vs Northeast @ Lincoln NE –South Field at 5:00pm
- JV Girls Soccer vs Millard West @ Millard West at 5:00pm
- JV Boys Golf Triangular @ Pioneers Park at 3:00pm
- JV Track and Field Invitational @ Lincoln High- Beechner Athletics Complex at 3:00pm
- JV Girls Tennis vs Pius X @ LSW at 4:00pm
- Varsity Girls Dual vs Pius X @ Lincoln Pius X at 4:00pm
- Reserve Girls Tennis Dual vs LSE @ LSE at 5:00pm
- Reserve Boys Soccer vs Lincoln NE @ Abbott Complex Field 15
- Reserve Girls vs Lincoln NE @ Abbott Complex Field 13
- Freshman Baseball vs Creighton prep @ Densmore 1 at 5:00pm
- JV Soccer vs Lincoln North Star @ YMCA Spirit Park #1
- JV Soccer vs North Star @ YMCA Spirit Park #3
See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events http://www.heartlandathleticconference.org/g5-bin/client.cgi
We have the following college visits for the month of March:
- Thur., April 17th Southeast Community College (Beatrice, Milford, Lincoln) 8:30 a.m.
- Fri., April 25th Northwest Missouri State 10:30 a.m.
- The Lincoln Northeast GLBTSA is sponsoring Pride Prom on April 25th from 8:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. If you have any questions, contact Mr. Geist.
- Jr's! 88 colleges are looking for you at this Sunday's Spring College Fair. Be at SECC-Lincolncampus on April 13th from 1-3 pm. Register for your bar code prior to Sunday by going toNebraskaCollegeFair.org to streamline your visit. All students are welcome!
- This year, Southwest Student Council is participating in the Cornhusker Book Drive, a children's book drive to benefit the LPS Early Childhood Program, and Lincoln's Community Learning Center's Backpack Program. The drive will be taking place this week, April 7th through April 11th. The book drive is calling for new and gently used books from the age range of Birth-5th grade. We would love assistance for this drive, a general donation box will also be located in the A100 TPC. Help us help our community!
- Congratulations Term 3 Beginning Painting and Drawing Students!!!!!!! Your designs selected by the City Rain Barrel and Spring Creek Audubon Society are now going to be on public exhibit. This Saturday April 5 from 2-4pm the exhibit opens at the Roll Out the Barrel exhibition featured at Spring Creek Prairie Audubon Center, Denton, NE. The barrels will then move to Southpointe to be on display. Your barrel will be featured throughout the month of April at Southpointe Cinema. Website information about the particular barrel you helped complete can be seen by searching the internet at "2014 Artistic Rain Barrel Program, Lincoln, NE.
- Congratulations 2014-2015 Emeralds:
- Maddie Balfany
- Amanda Nelson
- Liza Piccoli
- Emma Rhodes
- Lauren Davidsaver
- Kelsey Ronspies
- Natalie Hillman
- Claire Wolford
- Rachael Holsteen
- Lauren Davidsaver
- Saturday, April 26 from 9am-1pm is our bi-annual Electronics Recycling Fundraising Drive for the Music Department. If you are doing any spring cleaning and are finding some old electronics that you want to throw away, bring them to the recycle drive instead! We are going green! Anything that uses (or once used) electricity can be recycled! The company we use is called "Secure Recyclers" so you can bring your old computers or laptops without worrying about your files or electronic information.
- Student Ambassador Applications are available in the counseling center beginning April 1st-8th. If you are a 9th, 10th, or 11th grader who is interesting in becoming a student ambassador, please complete the application sheet, essay and have adults complete your recommendation forms. When you turn in your application to Mrs. Way, the secretary in the counseling center, please sign up for an interview at that time. Thank you for interest! Mrs. Finkhouse, Student Ambassador sponsor.
- Attention all 3rd Term Woodworking students: Please complete any and all projects that need to be completed and pay your bills ASAP. Those of you that have completed projects to pick up, please do so this week! Thank you, Mr. Hennecke
- Savvi formal wear is very excited to be teaming up with the six Lincoln Public School High School Booster Clubs. Savvi will be donating 25 percent of all prom tuxedo rentals to the Lincoln Public School Activities Assistance Program. This program helps to pay for athletic shoes and graduation caps and gowns for students with financial needs. Savvi can match any color and has the largest tuxedo warehouse in Nebraska, right at gateway mall. Tuxedos starting at $59.00! Sign up to be a prom rep and earn a free tuxedo or suit. From Euro-Slim to very traditional, Savvi has you covered for Prom!
- Seniors are reminded to register with ScholarshipQuest to apply for such scholarships as the ones shown below:
- Alpha Xi Delta-Rho Extraordinary Senior Scholarship
- Johnny Baxter Carriage House Foundation
- Lincoln Builders Bureau Scholarship Program
- Lincoln Rotary Club #14
- LSW Parents Advisory Council
- Phi Delta Theta's Clarence Rhodes Scholarship
- There are several community resources for students and families who are in need of assistance with clothing, food, housing, tax returns, & much more. Please visit the LSW Counseling Center's Student Resources to check out what is available. The newest additions are shown below:
- Student opportunities:The Omaha Zoo has seasonal positions open at both the Zoo and at the Wildlife Safari Park. If you are interested, go to http://www.omahazoo.com/careers/.
- The Joyce Ivy Foundation broadens the college aspirations of high potential young women from the Midwest, primarily through the Joyce Ivy Summer Scholars program. The Foundation seeks to provide exposure, encouragement, counsel, financial assistance, and employment support to young women who have the academic, intellectual, and leadership potential to attend the nation's most selective institutions of higher education. For more information and to apply, visit the website at: http://www.joyceivyfoundation.org/. Applications are due February 24, 2014.
- 2014 Graduates-make sure and get your cap and gowns ordered. Prices go up after January. If you have not ordered you may do so online at: lincolngraduate.com. If you need financial assistance ordering a cap and gown, please stop by the main office for a form.