April 23, 2014 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- April 23 ACT test for all 11 grade students, No school for 9th, 10th, and 12th
- April 24 NHS Induction, 8:15am
- April 24 Blood drive
- April 24 Forensics Banquet 6-9pm
- April 24 Flight Night Rehearsal
- April 25-26 Flight Night 7pm
- April 26 Electronic Drive 9am-1pm
- April 26 Speech & Debate garage sale 8am-4pm, commons
- April 29 Incoming 8th grade visits
- May 1 Drama Club Meeting 7pm
- May 2 Swing night 6pm
- May 5 Music Banquet 6pm
- May 8 FBLA Banquet
- May 10 Prom 8-12am Post Prom 12-4am
- May 12 Band/Orchestra Concert 7pm
- May 14 Baseball Banquet 6pm
- May 14 Choir Concert 7pm
- May 15 Theatre Banquet 6pm
- May 15-19 Science Olympiad Nationals - Orlando, Fl
- May 19 Girls Tennis Banquet 6pm
- May 19 Faculty Play 7pm
- May 20 Track Banquet 5pm
- May 20 Faculty Play 7pm
Pledge Readers for
- April 22 Connor Blankenau
- April 23 Hunter Maude
- April 24 Tommy Anderson
- April 25 Amina Ganic
If anyone is interested in saying the pledge, please see the main office
- Ticket are now on sale for the 7th Annual Faculty Show - PAGEANT - The Musical! Come see the men of LSW become the women of PAGEANT in this not to be missed musical event. Performances are May 19 & 20, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. Cost of tickets is $10 for Adults and $8 for Students. With only two shows - you do NOT want to delay. Get your seats reserved TODAY!
- Swing Night tickets are on sale now!!! Swing Night is Friday, May 2- Dance lessons begin at 6:15pm, Music begins at 7pm. You can purchase general admission tickets for $5 or reserved seats for $10. Go see Jake Sedivy in the Theatre Box Office before/after school or during lunch to purchase your tickets.
- 2014 Graduates— Please check the list of potential 2014 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, if there are ANY changes.
- Hawk Talk needs your help in finding the best tweets of this school year. You can submit what you think is the best tweet to C110 by the end of this week ( April 25) and it just might make it in the newspaper.
LUNCH FOR: Wednesday, April 23
- Hamburger on a whole grain bun
- Whole grain corn puppies
- Chicken enchilada
- Vegetarian: Veggie burger on whole grain bun
You have been Caught!
- Prize: Alyssa Lee
- Prize: Summer Schultz
- 1st in lunch line:
- Premier Parking: Justin Mescher
SPORTS: GO HAWKS!
- Varsity Girls Soccer tournament @ Millard South
- JV Girls Tennis vs LSE @ LSE at 4:00pm
- Reserve Girls Tennis vs Lincoln High @ LSW at 4:00pm
- Freshman Baseball vs LSE @ LSW Baseball Field at 5:00pm
- Varsity Baseball vs Lincoln East @ Sherman Field at 5:00pm
- JV Baseball vs Lincoln East@ Sherman Field at 7:00pm
- Varsity Track and Field @ Papillion-LaVista South High at 2:00pm
- Varsity Girls Tennis Dual @ Fremont High School courts at 4:00pm
- JV Girls Tennis @ Fremont High School courts at 4:00pm
- Reserve Baseball- Doubleheader vs Grand Island Senior High @ Ashley Park at 5:00pm
- Reserve Girls Soccer vs Lincoln East @ Abbott 13 at 5:00pm
- Reserve Boys Soccer vs Lincoln East @ Abbott 15 at 5:00pm
- JV Boys Soccer vs Lincoln High @ Seacrest Field at 5:00pm
- JV Girls Soccer vs Lincoln Hight @ Seacrest Field at 6:30pm
- Varsity Baseball Lincoln East Invitational @ Sherman Field at TBD
- Varsity Boys Golf Invitational @ Elks Country Club at 9:00am
- Varsity Boys Soccer vs LSE @ Seacrest Field at 5:00pm
- Varsity Girls Soccer vs LSE @ Seacrest Field at 6:30pm
See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events http://www.heartlandathleticconference.org/g5-bin/client.cgi
We have the following college visits for the month of April:
- Fri., April 25th Northwest Missouri State 10:30 a.m.
- Any current freshman interested in being selected to participate in "Youth Leadership Lincoln" should pick up an application form either in the office or in the counseling center. Youth Leadership Lincoln is a program that workds to enhance the knowledge and leadership skills of area high school students by motivating and empowering them to be committed to their community. Applications including all references and permission forms must be submitted to Leadership Lincoln by Fri. May 16th!
- The Lincoln Northeast GLBTSA is sponsoring Pride Prom on April 25th from 8:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. If you have any questions, contact Mr. Geist.
- Jr's! 88 colleges are looking for you at this Sunday's Spring College Fair. Be at SECC-Lincolncampus on April 13th from 1-3 pm. Register for your bar code prior to Sunday by going toNebraskaCollegeFair.org to streamline your visit. All students are welcome!
- This year, Southwest Student Council is participating in the Cornhusker Book Drive, a children's book drive to benefit the LPS Early Childhood Program, and Lincoln's Community Learning Center's Backpack Program. The drive will be taking place this week, April 7th through April 11th. The book drive is calling for new and gently used books from the age range of Birth-5th grade. We would love assistance for this drive, a general donation box will also be located in the A100 TPC. Help us help our community!
- Congratulations Term 3 Beginning Painting and Drawing Students!!!!!!! Your designs selected by the City Rain Barrel and Spring Creek Audubon Society are now going to be on public exhibit. This Saturday April 5 from 2-4pm the exhibit opens at the Roll Out the Barrel exhibition featured at Spring Creek Prairie Audubon Center, Denton, NE. The barrels will then move to Southpointe to be on display. Your barrel will be featured throughout the month of April at Southpointe Cinema. Website information about the particular barrel you helped complete can be seen by searching the internet at "2014 Artistic Rain Barrel Program, Lincoln, NE.
- Congratulations 2014-2015 Emeralds:
- Maddie Balfany
- Amanda Nelson
- Liza Piccoli
- Emma Rhodes
- Lauren Davidsaver
- Kelsey Ronspies
- Natalie Hillman
- Claire Wolford
- Rachael Holsteen
- Lauren Davidsaver
- Saturday, April 26 from 9am-1pm is our bi-annual Electronics Recycling Fundraising Drive for the Music Department. If you are doing any spring cleaning and are finding some old electronics that you want to throw away, bring them to the recycle drive instead! We are going green! Anything that uses (or once used) electricity can be recycled! The company we use is called "Secure Recyclers" so you can bring your old computers or laptops without worrying about your files or electronic information.
- Student Ambassador Applications are available in the counseling center beginning April 1st-8th. If you are a 9th, 10th, or 11th grader who is interesting in becoming a student ambassador, please complete the application sheet, essay and have adults complete your recommendation forms. When you turn in your application to Mrs. Way, the secretary in the counseling center, please sign up for an interview at that time. Thank you for interest! Mrs. Finkhouse, Student Ambassador sponsor.
- Attention all 3rd Term Woodworking students: Please complete any and all projects that need to be completed and pay your bills ASAP. Those of you that have completed projects to pick up, please do so this week! Thank you, Mr. Hennecke
- Savvi formal wear is very excited to be teaming up with the six Lincoln Public School High School Booster Clubs. Savvi will be donating 25 percent of all prom tuxedo rentals to the Lincoln Public School Activities Assistance Program. This program helps to pay for athletic shoes and graduation caps and gowns for students with financial needs. Savvi can match any color and has the largest tuxedo warehouse in Nebraska, right at gateway mall. Tuxedos starting at $59.00! Sign up to be a prom rep and earn a free tuxedo or suit. From Euro-Slim to very traditional, Savvi has you covered for Prom!
- Seniors are reminded to register with ScholarshipQuest to apply for such scholarships as the ones shown below:
- Alpha Xi Delta-Rho Extraordinary Senior Scholarship
- Johnny Baxter Carriage House Foundation
- Lincoln Builders Bureau Scholarship Program
- Lincoln Rotary Club #14
- LSW Parents Advisory Council
- Phi Delta Theta's Clarence Rhodes Scholarship
- There are several community resources for students and families who are in need of assistance with clothing, food, housing, tax returns, & much more. Please visit the LSW Counseling Center's Student Resources to check out what is available. The newest additions are shown below:
- Student opportunities:The Omaha Zoo has seasonal positions open at both the Zoo and at the Wildlife Safari Park. If you are interested, go to http://www.omahazoo.com/careers/.
- The Joyce Ivy Foundation broadens the college aspirations of high potential young women from the Midwest, primarily through the Joyce Ivy Summer Scholars program. The Foundation seeks to provide exposure, encouragement, counsel, financial assistance, and employment support to young women who have the academic, intellectual, and leadership potential to attend the nation's most selective institutions of higher education. For more information and to apply, visit the website at: http://www.joyceivyfoundation.org/. Applications are due February 24, 2014.
- 2014 Graduates-make sure and get your cap and gowns ordered. Prices go up after January. If you have not ordered you may do so online at: lincolngraduate.com. If you need financial assistance ordering a cap and gown, please stop by the main office for a form.